Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 500 - Considering A Change?

spongebob

I bought one of these myself last month.

Don't worry about pushing it, you won't have to as this is one loud combo. I only had to use the 15" cab under it for one gig but that was in a room that held 400 people with no PA support and it didn't break a sweat.

I am planning on doing a review of it but I want to do more gigs with it before then.

Contrary to popular opinion, I use mine on a stand and there is plenty of bottom end, plus I don't have to run it as loud as I would if it was on the floor to hear myself.

[url="http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Delberthot/media/20150131_204241%20Large_zpsgbtffmmw.jpg.html"][/url]

This one was at the gig using the 15" as well

[url="http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Delberthot/media/20150123_183945_zpsddjog6hz.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Delberthot/media/20150123_192209_zpssaaqv0uy.jpg.html"][/url]

That was a very big room to have no PA support :o

Edited by Delberthot

I replaced my Markbass CMD121P and 121H cab with a Rumble 500 combo. I didn't mind the Markbass, but I found it a bit sterile and wanted a warmer sound. The Rumble sounds so much better to me, and it was around half the price. As a bonus, it looks so much cooler too!

Edited by kristo

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1424168841' post='2693288']
+1, looks the business!

Is there another Rumble or Fender which would work as a cab? Just thinking further down the line...or is the only option a different brand?
[/quote]

They do a V3, 115 and 410 cabinet as well.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1424190926' post='2693660']
Well, that was a disaster!

Got the amp this afternoon, and it's going right back.

The whole amp rattles and buzzes with even a hint of bass.

Maybe it's just mine? It sounds good, but it's obviously a faulty one as my Markbass can be cranked up without any buzzes!
[/quote]

Have you tried tightening up all the screws that hold the speakers in and the amp in etc etc. I've heard stories of them being loose on delivery. Just a thought (unless ParcelForce delivered it!!!)

I rang GAK, they were fine and are collecting tomorrow.

No replacement, as (funnily enough) it was the last one in stock. Funny in the sense that although it was a Fender Rumble box, it had clearly been opened beforehand. Maybe it was ex-display or something? Or a previous return?

The buzzing and rattling is intense - as soon as you play, it a bag of bones, at even low volumes with very little bass.

Either way, I'm now in the dilemma in buying elsewhere or staying as I am! My second equipment disaster this week...... :(

That sucks.
I'd also guess they sent you out a return or it was badly handled during transportation.
I feel somewhat guilty for pushing them so much.

I had kind of the same thing with a TC combo I bought, I had to send 2 back before I got a keeper and still have it, been fine for around 5 years now.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1424196151' post='2693728']
That sucks.
I'd also guess they sent you out a return or it was badly handled during transportation.
I feel somewhat guilty for pushing them so much.

I had kind of the same thing with a TC combo I bought, I had to send 2 back before I got a keeper and still have it, been fine for around 5 years now.
[/quote]

I've used GAK before, and had great service - so I was/am a bit miffed. Funny how you order new kit, look forward to plugging in, only to be hit with a wall of disappointment when you realise that 'my old one doesn't do that'!

There are other places that have them at the same price - Gear4Music have quite a few listed on their site.

Worst still, the other day I ordered a nice new Roqsolid cover for it, as my current covers from them are superb. I've been in touch with them to see if it's too late to cancel - I suppose that's kind of going to sway if I give another amp another go! :(

Before you buy another one look [url="http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/fender-rumble-500-v3.html"]here[/url] then find another company that price matches European prices. I got GAK to match this price.

I got Roqsolid to adjust the dimensions of the cover as whoever submitted the original ones had an eye like a stinking haddock. It was a mile off. Took me 40 minutes to get it accurate - they're also offering a discount as of today going by the email I received today.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1424127240' post='2693060']
Fender acquired GB, GB disappears from the market, Fender releases new lightweight range of amps. It's an easy conclusion to draw, but I can't say I'm an expert, nor have I cracked open my amp to have a look!
[/quote]

I have a hammer and a torch at the ready :D

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1424198500' post='2693777']
Before you buy another one look [url="http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/fender-rumble-500-v3.html"]here[/url] then find another company that price matches European prices. I got GAK to match this price.
[/quote]

Good link, thanks. I've just ordered a replacement TC BG250 from GAK and gave them both the Thomann and Musik Produktiv prices, and they price matched the Thomann one (55p cheaper than MP). That's £31.55 cheaper than list and delivery tomorrow! Great service.

Got the 2nd amp of the week today, this time from Gear4Music.

Great news is that it doesn't appear to have any of the problems of the last one. Got band rehearsal tonight, so a good chance to crank it up and see how it performs.

Bad news was that it arrived without a UK power lead, only a European one. Quick call to G4M, and they apologised and said they'd get one out to me ASAP. Luck seems to be against me this week!

Have a gig on Saturday, so with that and the rehearsal, I'll post some thoughts back on the amp's performance. First impressions, it looks great! B)

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1424367048' post='2695603']

Great news is that it doesn't appear to have any of the problems of the last one. Got band rehearsal tonight, so a good chance to crank it up and see how it performs.

Bad news was that it arrived without a UK power lead, only a European one. Quick call to G4M, and they apologised and said they'd get one out to me ASAP. Luck seems to be against me this week!

Have a gig on Saturday, so with that and the rehearsal, I'll post some thoughts back on the amp's performance. First impressions, it looks great! B)
[/quote]
That's more like it :)
Lot's of rumbling going on then, we support Dr Feel good on Saturday and my Rumble will get the nod.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1424367634' post='2695610']
That's more like it :)
Lot's of rumbling going on then, we support Dr Feel good on Saturday and my Rumble will get the nod.
[/quote]

Excellent! We do a mix of covers/originals, all classic R'n'B as well. The covers are mainly Dr. Feelgood, funnily enough! :D

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1424367048' post='2695603']

[/quote]

The version 2 rumble I bought from G4M came with a two pin lead. Fair dues though a UK one appeared in the post next day. Great to hear it's all ok

Used it last night's practice. First impressions - like!

Had it on about 1/4 volume, same as my old Markbass rig. The whole thing just seemed 'bigger' - most solid state amps I've played through always seem a little clean, lacking presence. Volume, yes, presence, no.

The thing that does it is the vintage switch. Playing a US P-bas through it, the general band mix came across as really full.

Tomorrow's gig is a medium-sized pub, always get a good sound there - so a good test for the Rumble!

Also, a big +1 for Gear4music - the lead came through this morning - I rang them yesterday at around 2PM when the amp arrived! Great service. :)