Why become a member? ×

Elbow

Nicko

Was lucky enough to see Elbow at Hammermith yetserday. Not my all time favourite band but they put on a great show and the atmosphere was brilliant.

What surprised me was Pete Turner sat down and played the bassline for One Day Like this on a synth. Given the amount of effects he used on other songs I dont think this was for the sound, and from listening to the song it's not a complicated line so I couldn't figure out why.

Saw them live in Newport several years ago
I have to say again, great band, not my absolute favourite either
but they put on an awesome show!

I'm hoping to see them live again sometime in the near future

EDIT: I remember being particularly blown away by "The Fix"
Can't remember exactly why - but I remember thinking it sounded brilliant live

Edited by Marc S

I was there last night as well - Mrs C is a big fan. Not my cup of tea but, as stated above, they put on a very good show and the front man's banter was excellent. Bassist (geek alert) played a black Fender Jazz mainly but a black Jack Casady appeared for a song or two

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1423842245' post='2689626']
I was there last night as well - Mrs C is a big fan. Not my cup of tea but, as stated above, they put on a very good show and the front man's banter was excellent. Bassist (geek alert) played a black Fender Jazz mainly but a black Jack Casady appeared for a song or two
[/quote]

Did you mention what basses were being used to Mrs C? And if so did she reply with a "oh, good grief! ", in a slightly exasperated manner? Because that's what Mrs Marvin would have done if I'd pointed such a thing out :(

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1423844213' post='2689653']
Did you mention what basses were being used to Mrs C? And if so did she reply with a "oh, good grief! ", in a slightly exasperated manner? Because that's what Mrs Marvin would have done if I'd pointed such a thing out :(
[/quote]On this occasion I kept the bass identification to myself :-)

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1423825464' post='2689390']
He uses synth for quite a few songs in their back catalogue. One Day Like This and Starlings spring to mind immediately.
[/quote]
I played One Day Like This from a written part on a gig before Christmas. I practised to an mp3 extracted from the full arrangement and I had never heard the original, so it never occurred to me it might be a synth part!

Edited by JapanAxe

[i]>> Name-Dropper Alert <<[/i] I knew these guys when they were playing pubs in Manchester and I was working as a music hack for the local paper. A genuinely nice bunch of people who worked [i]very[/i] hard to get where they are now.

A mate of mine was at the gig last night but felt they weren’t at their best. He said that Guy sounded a little hoarse and they just didn’t have their usual ‘energy’ about them… but that it was still a good gig.

I saw them play in Manchester last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. They were supported by Jimi Goodwin (Doves) who also gave a great performance.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1423857113' post='2689866']
Is this the Elbow who defy all logic and are popular? Utter drivel - every last note.
[/quote]
I have to agree...maudlin and totally boring crud in my book...kind of like Coldplay in Slippers to me. Sorry!
Each to their own, of course.