Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

I have to say that mine came with a very low action, I had to raise the strings a smidge, but after it had been out of the case for a day or so it settled in really nicely. Bear in mind that mine was freezing when it arrived, probably sat in vans or warehouses all weekend. Hate shipping basses, poor things getting all cold lol

Si

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1459269561' post='3014970']If its a bottom of neck truss rod which way do you turn it to raise the strings?

[/quote]Looking at it from the bridge, righty tighty, lefty loosey. You'll want to go left to counteract the back bow (letting the strings pull the head up). However, any buzzing beyond the 9th/10th fret will be down to the saddles being too low.

Edited by ezbass

Exciting times...
[URL=http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/Screen%20Shot%202016-03-29%20at%2017.55.03_zpsgjwlzw0n.png.html][IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/Screen%20Shot%202016-03-29%20at%2017.55.03_zpsgjwlzw0n.png[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1459269561' post='3014970']
Ok, it's here, not doing an NBD yet as it wouldn't be fair. It seems to have arrived with a bit of a back bow as it's choking like crazy and buzzing like an angry bee, and the action is way too low but the bridge Saddles seem ok. So, I need to figure out the whole truss rod thing. If its a bottom of neck truss rod which way do you turn it to raise the strings?

First pickup test is good but difficult to say for sure cos of the buzzing.
[/quote]

I wouldn't touch the truss rod so soon after unpacking. The relief is nil I take it, i.e. touching the frets?

Give it time to adjust and warm up, if there is still any issue I would contact them to ask why it has been set up how it has. Shouldn't have to worry about back bow or any other issues on a brand new freshly setup bass.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1459269561' post='3014970']
Ok, it's here, not doing an NBD yet as it wouldn't be fair. It seems to have arrived with a bit of a back bow as it's choking like crazy and buzzing like an angry bee, and the action is way too low but the bridge Saddles seem ok. So, I need to figure out the whole truss rod thing. If its a bottom of neck truss rod which way do you turn it to raise the strings?

[/quote]

Mine was the same. ridiculously low action out of the box. my truss rod took 1/4 turn tighter and it was instantly better. I also scrapped the original lighter than light strings after about a week :)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1459271506' post='3015005']
I wouldn't touch the truss rod so soon after unpacking. The relief is nil I take it, i.e. touching the frets?

Give it time to adjust and warm up, if there is still any issue I would contact them to ask why it has been set up how it has. Shouldn't have to worry about back bow or any other issues on a brand new freshly setup bass.
[/quote]

a freshly set up bass... in a likely different weather, after travelling and being stored cold etc etc...
It's not unusual that something will move. But it should be pretty easy to restore it to what it was before it was posted, usually just a touch of truss rod one way or the other.

However, that's just to restore the original set up. Who says that's what the customer prefers? I don't see what's so terrible about 'setting up' an instrument. I don't mean levelling frets etc, which should be perfect as it is new, I mean adjusting the neck curvature, saddles... Expecting others to set up a bass the exact way I like it is a bit too much. I nearly always tweak any new bass I get so that it plays the way I want it to.

I always check any new bass or guitar for set up. 99% of the time I'll need to adjust something or other. Very rare is it that something is right for me straight out of the box. Speaking of which, my new Elwood is apparently at Stanstead Airport, not that I've been checking you understand :ph34r:

Mine turned up fine.. the action is low which is fine with me. No fret buzz.. Intonation is good too. I am chuffed with it.. I was worried about the neck dimensions I had spec'd but my choice was spot on.... it feels like it was made for me...... Pleased with the range of sounds I can get from the P + JJ ..

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1459379353' post='3016088']
European tour? :D
[/quote]It's still there, apparently. :(

EDIT: Local facility 8:50, that's just 6 miles away. It's going to be a long day. :shok:

EDIT2: Out for delivery 9:06 :search:

Edited by ezbass

NBD!!!!!! Details to follow. :D

Something to whet you appetite.

[url="http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/P1100441_zpsvyo33ci3.jpg.html"][/url]

NBD thread here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/282168-nbd-maruszczyk-content/page__pid__3016426#entry3016426

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1459269556' post='3014969']

[/quote]I just adjusted my truss rod as I've fitted some EB flatwound cobalts to my new bass; it needed a little tighten due to the slightly increased tension. I adjusted in the normal way, turning to the right the counteract the forward pull, checked still needed a bit more tension, checked again - hang on, the relief was getting bigger! It seems that the adjustment is the reverse way round from what I'm used to on all the other basses I've owned, with turning to the left (when viewed from the bridge) reducing the relief. Perhaps this will help with your current buzzing issues.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1459604884' post='3018024']
I just adjusted my truss rod as I've fitted some EB flatwound cobalts to my new bass; it needed a little tighten due to the slightly increased tension. I adjusted in the normal way, turning to the right the counteract the forward pull, checked still needed a bit more tension, checked again - hang on, the relief was getting bigger! It seems that the adjustment is the reverse way round from what I'm used to on all the other basses I've owned, with turning to the left (when viewed from the bridge) reducing the relief. Perhaps this will help with your current buzzing issues.
[/quote]

Ah, I meant to mention his ages ago. I noticed the same thing. Very odd!

Yeah, discovered that when I gave up and took it to the guitar shop. In the end, in order to bring the buzzing to a human level and still have a usable action they had to put a small shim in, which is a bad show, basically I think next time I get GAS I'll either buy direct from the bass show or nip to bass direct. After this I'm done with buying unseen. Not that it's bad, it sounds great in fact, it's just marred the whole experience, especially knowing I won't be able to completely get rid of the buzzing without having action a bus could ride under.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1459605277' post='3018028']
Ah, I meant to mention his ages ago. I noticed the same thing. Very odd!
[/quote]

True! It did drive me mad (momentarily) on my first Jake. I thought I was going crazy! :lol:

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1459607296' post='3018051']
Yeah, discovered that when I gave up and took it to the guitar shop. In the end, in order to bring the buzzing to a human level and still have a usable action they had to put a small shim in, which is a bad show, basically I think next time I get GAS I'll either buy direct from the bass show or nip to bass direct. After this I'm done with buying unseen. Not that it's bad, it sounds great in fact, it's just marred the whole experience, especially knowing I won't be able to completely get rid of the buzzing without having action a bus could ride under.
[/quote]

That's disappointing. Did you mention it to Adrian?

Has the shim sorted it, or is the action too high?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1459607937' post='3018057']

That's disappointing. Did you mention it to Adrian?

Has the shim sorted it, or is the action too high?
[/quote]

Action is high but manageable and the rattling is mostly gone. I haven't mentioned it to Adrian because at this point it's still really a setup issue.

Hopefully it'll settle down and eventually I'll be able to reduce the action and have less rattle but I can't see myself buying another one in the future. As it is now, it's an ok bass that I don't love with high action.

But I might just be being grumpy.