Why become a member? ×

Boomy 1x12 cabs...

Rik (ESA)

I recently bought 2 x 112 hartke hydrive cabs to replace a 410tp hartke cab (old cheap thing). I've played about 5 gigs with them and in truth have only been happy with the sound once - the rest of the time they seemed extremely "boomy" with the eq on my little Mark 2 amp set flat and filters off. I had a consistent sound with the old 4x10 at over 20 gigs in a variety of stages but am really struggling with these. Given the size, I would have thought there would be less "boom" if anything!

Are auralex pads still the way to go, or am I missing something...?

All help much appreciated!

Thanks
Rick

Don't buy any more stuff until you can figure out what is causing the issue.

How are you stacking them? Where do you tend to stand in relation to them? What kind of sound do you usually go for?

Also it depends on your definition on Boomy. Have you played with the EQ on the markbass? Does the low mids or bass reduce the boom.
For me boom is around 150hz, however the low mid on the markbass head is set kind of high (IMO)

I'm surprised that you finding them boomy at all. The cabs I would think would be more defined in the mids to counter any extreme lows compared to a 4x10 which by design doesn't have great dispersion.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1422287062' post='2670698']
Don't buy any more stuff until you can figure out what is causing the issue.

How are you stacking them? Where do you tend to stand in relation to them? What kind of sound do you usually go for?

Also it depends on your definition on Boomy. Have you played with the EQ on the markbass? Does the low mids or bass reduce the boom.
For me boom is around 150hz, however the low mid on the markbass head is set kind of high (IMO)

I'm surprised that you finding them boomy at all. The cabs I would think would be more defined in the mids to counter any extreme lows compared to a 4x10 which by design doesn't have great dispersion.
[/quote]

Thanks for the help both!

I stack them on top of each other, regular way as opposed to on their side, if that makes sense. I tend to stand about 4-6 feet from them, but have stood out where the crowd would be during sound check, and it sounds the same - the drummer also says the same from where he is (slightly behind them).

Had a quick play with the eq, however I suppose I was just used to having it flat with previous cabs so may need some time working with it...

Thanks again.

Rick

Start with knocking on them; if the box gives a hollow boomy sound, then it is not stiff enough. (Like EBS Classic 112, that acts like a cardboard box...) The only thing to do to cure [i]that [/i]problem is to put "stiffening rods" inside the cab, from side to side, from bottom to top, from baffle to back, just like a forest of bass bars. Cheap cabs are cheap of a reason...