Why become a member? ×

oh my fingers hurt!!!

teddyt

well I been playing for a fair bit today, tried Rocksmith as my lad has it and says it will help me. And I really enjoyed it , but stone me my finger tips hurt :(

This bass playing lark aint easy is it, but I really am getting the bug!!! so looks like the Ashton could be getting a friend soon than I thought. but I won't tell the lad :yarr:

Edited by teddyt

We have all been there, stick with it! Little and often was the key when I started playing but I know that isn't always possible. Play with a lighter touch and turn up as well, you tend to play harder if you can't hear yourself.

Takes me back to when I started, I remember doing 3 nights in a row, two hours a night when my fingers were still hardening up. By the third night I blood pouring out of my two plucking fingers because the blisters under my blisters had popped. I can stick needles through my finger tips now.

Stop when your fingertips start to tingle, and leave practicing again until they have cooled off. Don't keep on playing until they start to think about blistering as you will end up not being able to play for several days (as pain rather inhibits learning), & then you forget all you learnt in the mean time which gets very frustrating! Play to the tingle & then stop & check out more youtube lessons to help consolidate what you've been learning & work out what you can look forward to practicing tomorrow.
Oh and keep your fretting fingertips as dry as possible, and out of the bath water.
I can't vouch for the surgical spirit route, but I've heard that recommended frequently too.

Been playing 11 years and believe it or not I don't really have callouses! But yeah keep plugging away chap and your hands should toughen up (or your nerve endings might die as seems to be the case with me :D)

Edited by 40hz

Status Hotwire Halfwound strings. Smooooth under your fingers :-)
Having said that, I still get the odd blister and I have developed calluses.
But round wound strings feel all rough and harsh to me now.

Of course this wouldn't suit you if you prefer the twangier sound of the roundwounds. The half wounds have a thumpier sort of sound.

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1420767571' post='2653310']
Been playing 11 years and believe it or not I don't really have callouses! But yeah keep plugging away chap and your hands should toughen up (or your nerve endings might die as seems to be the case with me :D)
[/quote]

I'm in this position. Never developed. callouses but rarely seem to get any pain in my fingertips.

Just keep at it and don't overdo it and eventually it won't be sore to play

[quote name='teddyt' timestamp='1420755082' post='2653194']
well I been playing for a fair bit today
[/quote]

Therein lies the problem. ;)[size=4] It can be tempting to play for hours on end at a time, but the fact is that this is not beneficial to either your fingers, or the learning process.[/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4]Try spending about 30 -45 minutes at one time playing for now. Then take a break and come back to it.[/size]

[size=4]Little and often is the way to go. [/size]