Why become a member? ×

Buying/Using 'singles'.

NancyJohnson

Anyone go the route of just replacing single strings?

This isn't really anything about making economies - I was about to change the strings on one of my basses and quickly came to the conclusion that while the E string was pretty dead, the ADGs still have an awful lot of life left in them, despite the fact they've been on for a while (this always seems to be the case). The strings on the bass are EB Slinkys.

A new E is £8, a full set (of whatever brand I decide to use - generally I'm going the Elixir Nanoweb route now) is £30/35+ - it just seems horribly wasteful to chuck the whole set - so, for the first time ever I should add, I pulled the trigger and just bought a Slinky .105 for £7.50.

P

Edited by NancyJohnson

Mine always seem to go off in the same way across the board (neck?) so in the past I've only ever replaced the set. I have however boiled a couple of old sets (roundwounds) which breathed a bit of life back into them. I'd be a bit worried the new string would seem really bright compared to the older ones.

I don't like imbalance of new and old so I'd have the whole set off...clean them up and use them another time.
When I change strings, I change them all...
I just can't see strings being a few months old being sonically compatible with new strings.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1420636003' post='2651550'] I don't like imbalance of new and old so I'd have the whole set off...clean them up and use them another time. When I change strings, I change them all... [/quote]

This. I'd go mad if one string was noticeably brighter than the others.
the only time I've bought single strings have been when I over-tightened an E as an enthusiastic beginner, and when I had a duff A string and needed a replacement pronto for that evening's gig (the manufacturer of the offending string replaced the whole set for free).

In my defence, two full bands (with an occasional third), recording, jamming, writing, big heavy muthafunking plectrums. I pick up whatever is close to me and I tend to play for at least an hour a day.

It has to be said that some basses don't kill the strings as much as others, which I am not able to quantify.

Mwahaha...I think that was a raging success and I shall [b]definitely [/b]be repeating this exercise in the future. Obviously the new E is a tad brighter than the ADGs, but it'll lose some of it's zing in the coming days and even out.

Despite saying this wasn't anything to do with money saving, there's a feel good factor to be had for saving yourself £20.00 plus!
P

This may come across as a bit of a stupid question to those in the know, but flats. When I first started playing (when all this was fields), my first bass came with flats on it. I can only really remember them being shiny, flat, dull and lifeless and it didn't really occur to me that I could change them for anything else. The G-string broke one weekend and not knowing any better I dipped into my paper round money and replaced just the one string with a roundwound (and there was light - heh).

I remember hearing the [i]zingyness [/i]of that G-string and pretty much played everything on that string for weeks and frankly never looked back.

Given the music I play now (punky/noise), I ask what would flats give me now? Is it worth having a punt and stringing up one basses with flats, or will they just be lifeless mud?

P

I, like many others, like flats on a P bass, something about the combination of split coil pickup in that position and flats offering a warm round tone. I'm using Fender flats on that P and on a Cort fretless and they're not as dull as I remember the Rotosounds I used many years ago; they're quite zingy for flats. Since they don't cost much for a set it's not such a huge gamble.