Why become a member? ×

Ditching Fender for Squier

interpol52

I wouldnt say I have ditched Fender, but pending payment my main bass after today will be a Squier Deluxe Jazz V. It was always my 'back-up' bass and basically never got used so a few weeks ago knowing my Fender was for sale I started to use it exclusively. I can honestly say I dont know why I thought it was only good enough as a back-up, it is an incredibly good bass and not just for the money. I have had far more compliments on its looks and sound than most of my other basses.

The construction is very very good and the neck it very nicely finished. The machineheads are a bit heavy and unrefined but they hold tuning. I did replace the bridge with a Hipshot and converted to classic passive jazz wiring but thats as far as the mods have gone.

After selling and buying far too many basses over the past 15 years I have learnt one major lesson (it may not apply to everyone) and that is, no-one gives a flying crap what bass or rig you have. Most people wouldnt really notice at a gig whether you have a 6k Fodera or a £160 squier as long as you sound 'bassy' thats all that matters. Most of my band wouldnt know whether I changed bass or not as I just sound like me when I play. I am even GAS-ing for a Squier P5 at the moment.

I just tell myself; play something you feel comfoirtable with and can get a decent sound out of, it doesnt matter what the logo is. I once owned a very expensive Overwater J5, a guitarist walked up to me and said "not a bad guitar that mate, why havent you got a Fender, are they a bit too expensive for you".

Edited by NJE

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1421230626' post='2658587']
no-one gives a flying crap what bass or rig you have. Most people wouldnt really notice at a gig whether you have a 6k Fodera or a £160 squier as long as you sound 'bassy' thats all that matters. Most of my band wouldnt know whether I changed bass or not as I just sound like me when I play.
[/quote]

This.

Before Christmas my guitarist asked if my memorably green Mark Hoppus sig was new...I've had it for 6 months!

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1421230626' post='2658587']
no-one gives a flying crap what bass or rig you have. Most people wouldnt really notice at a gig whether you have a 6k Fodera or a £160 squier as long as you sound 'bassy' thats all that matters.
[/quote]

Agreed and this is a view I share, but I think that its great to have the range of options available - we're not communists.

I have been looking at Fodera and Pedulla basses and talking myself out of buying one, (it helps that I'm not a fan of wood finishes on basses). At the other end of the scale I tried a Squire Jazz V last year this bass was superb, (can't play five strings though)

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1421316544' post='2659669']

I have been looking at Fodera and Pedulla basses and talking myself out of buying one, (it helps that I'm not a fan of wood finishes on basses).
[/quote]

All I can say is that I'm sorry:

[url="http://www.fodera.com/monarch-standard-classic/"]http://www.fodera.co...andard-classic/[/url]

Si

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1421316544' post='2659669']
Agreed and this is a view I share, but I think that its great to have the range of options available - we're not communists.
[/quote]

I agree completely, I think it has got to be one of the best times for bass players in terms of amount of gear available to us at high and low price points. The quality and diversity has just got better and better even compared to what was available to me when I started 15 years ago.

I just think there are a lot of people out there (myself included) who have spent a lot of time concerned with what brands they are using, as if someone at a gig was going to walk up and say "sorry mate that bass isn't good enough, your a fraud, please leave".

If I had the money I would spend a fortune on basses, I love Mike Lull stuff and Sadowsky, but no-one will look at me any differently for turning up with a Squier.

I`ve seen some great bands where the bassist was using a Squier, the sound was amazing. And these have been "named" bands. Similarly I`ve seen some named bands where the guitarist has been using very cheap Epiphone guitars, and again, sounded great.

I should have put my comments in context with my situation which is basically a 'hobby' bass player. In the bands and venues I play in it won't matter.

I know that professional players have a different set of expectations put upon them, my very best friend does session work and writing and there are certain instruments he 'must have' for certain jobs and a lot of the time they do need to have the right logo on them to be taken seriously.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1421323191' post='2659791']
I should have put my comments in context with my situation which is basically a 'hobby' bass player. In the bands and venues I play in it won't matter.

I know that professional players have a different set of expectations put upon them, my very best friend does session work and writing and there are certain instruments he 'must have' for certain jobs and a lot of the time they do need to have the right logo on them to be taken seriously.
[/quote]

I have a friend who is a VERY busy London 'session' bassist with some big pop acts, he often can be seen out with his Squier.......yes it's a JV, and its a backup to his '63......but still, no-one tells him not to use it because of the name on the headstock ;)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1421323321' post='2659795']
I have a friend who is a VERY busy London 'session' bassist with some big pop acts, he often can be seen out with his Squier.......yes it's a JV, and its a backup to his '63......but still, no-one tells him not to use it because of the name on the headstock ;)

Si
[/quote]

I think Andrew McKinney who plays with the James Taylor Quartet uses a JV a lot as well.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1421329772' post='2659916']
I think Andrew McKinney who plays with the James Taylor Quartet uses a JV a lot as well.
[/quote]

Yeah, he has pretty much the same setup, uses his JV as a backup to his '62, for overseas gigs etc.
From what I understand anyway :)

Si

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1421334367' post='2660029']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]When we supported Showaddywaddy a few years ago we were very surprised to see they had a rack of Squiers.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Not sure what to make of that but there's a joke in there somewhere i expect.[/font]
[/quote]

<punt and dennis>
SHOWADEHWADDEH!
</punt and dennis>

Probably not much call for that joke these days...