Why become a member? ×

Ocatvius Squeezer Analog Bass Synth

Tee

i think that comparing the price to deep impact anyways might actually be wrong really, as of course the deep impact is the price it is NOT just because of its features, but because of its rarity. IIRC just before they were stopped from being made, didnt some online retailers sell them for £80 odd?

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='258538' date='Aug 8 2008, 10:03 PM']i think that comparing the price to deep impact anyways might actually be wrong really, as of course the deep impact is the price it is NOT just because of its features, but because of its rarity. IIRC just before they were stopped from being made, didnt some online retailers sell them for £80 odd?[/quote]
Indeed, I picked mine up for £90 a few months before they started going up in price. But there's plenty of rare pedal stuff that doesn't fetch anywhere near Deep Impact prices I expect. I don't think I'd be able to get £300 for mine now as the power socket joints on the main board need replacing and there's a knob missing after it fell off at a gig in Marbella while I was packing it away on a dark stage.

Funnily enough I approached Synth Service for spares and was told 1 knob would cost me £10 because they had a minimum order and basically it wasn't worth their while getting small parts in. I asked them about whether they thought £10 was reasonable for a part that probably cost 3p to manufacture and they basically didn't give a toss, I could take it or leave it! I've tried emailing Akai in the US as well but nothing. So the lesson for me there is... ...don't lose my knobs. If they're loose, then I should glue 'em on with a bit of PVA or something.

In the meantime, if anyone knows of an Akai Headrush/Deep Impact/Unibass pedal that is going for spares (they all have the same knobs) I'd be really grateful if someone could please drop me a line.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Oscar South' post='260826' date='Aug 12 2008, 01:55 PM'][url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/3724"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/3724[/url]

Much better value for synth sounds.[/quote]

That has analogue ins, right? Bass in, filtarage a-go-go?

The markup over the US price (allowing for say £20 extra for shipping and for 17.5% VAT) is about £170.

So they can stick any idea of me buying one up their proverbial.

Something tells me I'll never hear one or play with one either. No retailer in hos right mind will ever stock one since obviously no one will ever buy one at that price, especially considewring how much cheaper they are in the USA.

It should be retailing here for about £250 if they want to stir up real sales and interest. Obviously they dont want to do that.

[quote name='51m0n' post='274714' date='Sep 1 2008, 04:33 PM']The markup over the US price (allowing for say £20 extra for shipping and for 17.5% VAT) is about £170.[/quote]

Out of interest, do you have any links to US based price lists?

Gotta agree, the UK price is ridi-f'n-diculous.
I have been waiting eagerly for it to be released and i know it contains the guts of their other products
but this sort of money for something you might use what? at max 20% of a gig?
get real, at US price doesn't it creep in just under the duty free value limit?
Nodd

• 1 month later...

OK - a friend of mine got his pedal on Friday all the way from sunny Oz. Complete pedal freak - self confessed - and he didn't sound too impressed with it when I talked to him. He said that the tweakability was too complex as it required lots of deep editing and another point he made is that the sensitivity setting has to be set for every bass you use. He said he was sure that there are loads of great sounds in it but the hassle factor in getting them out was annoying. Add to that he had to do a firmware update before he even plugged it in to sort out "reliability" issues... I'll give him a shout and see if he is willing to give the full lowdown on the pedal. I'm going over to see it at some point soon so I'll check it out for myself.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='311117' date='Oct 21 2008, 10:46 AM']Surely that's obvious and the same for any dynamic-following pedal.[/quote]

Yes... but a pain in the ass when the thing is so difficult to tweak... I've sent my mate a msg to see if he wants to comment on his experience with the pedal so far.

Edited by EBS_freak