Why become a member? ×

Get your STATUS-GRAPHITE basses out!

OutToPlayJazz

The Jazz body came from Edenhaus guitars in the States via e-bay - [url="http://www.bhefnerco.com/bass.htm"]http://www.bhefnerco.com/bass.htm[/url] - kind of like warmoth.

Pick-ups came from e-bay, as did the bridge and electronics.

Got Martin at The Gallery to lacquer the body - satin polyurethane - nice and tough - he installed all the hardware and set things up - initially had a Japanese fretless P-bass neckfor it . Have always fancied a Status neck mind - so ordered one in Jan - sent over the body to Rob G and he attached the neck and set things up. Picked the completed bass up from Status in Feb. Rob is such gent to deal with - real easy going. Dawn is super sweet to deal with too. Yes - I got to see/try out some goodies at the factory. The mkII King bass 5-string was being finished and got shown some nicely tinted streamlines.

Hmmm - a five string fretless streamline. That would sing wouldn't it ?

[quote name='BassBus' post='477871' date='May 2 2009, 06:15 PM']The KB2 looks good as a fiver. The extra string fills out the body a bit more. That design grows on me all the time.[/quote]

That walnut model looks incredible! As my brother Rich will attest, the body shape really works in the flesh - very thin (and crispy!) at the edges! My MK-II fund has taken some hits recently but its being rebuilt at the moment!

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmm indeed, Rich. Dribble :wub: I know your not so keen on the revamp of the Streamline but I think it sharpens it up a lot. Not so girlly. Maybe I could give myself a reward for finishing my degree next year. :) Have to start earning some more money first.

• 1 month later...

As usual Rob Green has been beavering away at building lots of basses but he has once again excelled himself with one particular new commision. Our friend Todd in Canada, and Statii.com, commisioned a headless KBII. Facing wood is what Rob described as "strange black claro walnut". Pickups are neck 'J' with custom wired bridge soap bar which splits for humbucking and single coil 'J'. 16.5 string spacing and bendwell.

Now that is a vast improvement on the headed version. The design is starting to come together. The soapbars which can do J and humbucking is a very sensible idea and look much more in proportion to the body. I don't understand why Rob didn't do that in the first place.

I'd have one, headless, 5 string with two of those custom wound soapbars.

OK, so Mark King's design talents obviously speak for themselves. :) That lower cutaway and access to the upper frets still needs looking at.

Status basses are limited in the custom options by the manufacturing processes that Rob uses. Try asking Rob to copy the neck profile off your favourite non-status bass some time. :rolleyes:

[quote name='BassBus' post='539694' date='Jul 13 2009, 08:48 PM']I suspect it was down to a certain Mr. King that the design was the way it was. That's the beauty of a custom instrument you can do anything you want with it.[/quote]

Of course it was! The Kingbass Mk II was Mark's new baby. He decided he wanted to go back to the "bigger body" style that his Alembic, Pangborn and Jaydee basses have, while staying with Status. Mark asked, Rob created. So I'm guessing the singlecoils were Mark's idea too! However, when I saw him live with Kingbasses with Soapbars, his tone was very much the thin, clickity clack that we all love! When I saw him using the MK II Kingbasses live, he had a lot more bottom in his tone and it was a really percussive sound. Both amazing tones though, from one of the best players around today!

Also, what exactly has changed with the Streamline bass? (too lazy to do a picture comparison!)

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='Chris2112' post='540688' date='Jul 14 2009, 08:48 PM']Also, what exactly has changed with the Streamline bass? (too lazy to do a picture comparison!)[/quote]
Looks like the edges have been squared off a bit. Looks much sharper to me and not so girly.

Hi guys, back from an extended hiatus...

Well, Todd's new custom KingBass Mk-II headless looks stunning, doesn't it?! Quite the creation. I know Rob's been building that one in his "spare" time as a bit of a prototype project. Can't wait to hear it in some soundclips.

As for the original Streamline being "girly"... I love the one I have with the LED's - It's practically the last original shape one apart from Alex's. It's so good that I always play it over and in preference to my walnut S2-Classic - And that's saying something.

Girly? I ask you... *Wanders off to kick something*... :)