Why become a member? ×

Get your STATUS-GRAPHITE basses out!

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='crez5150' post='425945' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:23 AM']Thats not a wig.......

This is a wig......
[/quote]

Are you referring to the chest wig or that placed atop of the pate!???

Hehe!

Calm daan, calm daaan

Should be adding to my collective on Sunday with a very unusual early '90s Series II Matrix - thanks Barrie!!! (will be in touch via pm)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='427465' date='Mar 6 2009, 06:58 PM']Hi Alan I love the look of your Shuker but just one question, is there any hi-end custom UK bass that you haven't owned and can we have pics in the lefty thread? :)[/quote]
Well I'll honest and say I've been through most, some new, some used.
Unfortunately most pictures were lost when my PC crashed a while back so not much I can show I'm afraid.
Really enjoy playing a Fender Jazz deluxe 4 at this moment but just to get this thread back on track here is a picture of my now departed Kingbass 5, living it up on a Scottish Isle at this very moment.
My favorite sounding Status of the 3 previously owned. Loved the shorter scale due to the bendwell, but as much as I tried I could not get on with the body shape when gigging so unfortunately had to let it go.

Hey Alan, many people have the same problem with the KingBass I. I had a lovely 5-string through neck one made for me in 2006 & ended up selling it for the very same reason. Then I tried again with a near identical 4-string build in the same woods last year. Both sold on.

At least the S2-Classic & Streamline fit me like proverbial gloves!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='428401' date='Mar 8 2009, 08:35 AM']Hey Alan, many people have the same problem with the KingBass I. I had a lovely 5-string through neck one made for me in 2006 & ended up selling it for the very same reason. Then I tried again with a near identical 4-string build in the same woods last year. Both sold on.

At least the S2-Classic & Streamline fit me like proverbial gloves![/quote]
Unfortunately no left handers planned for the Streamline as I already enquired, but S2 body shape worked for me also.
S2 5 + bendwell + KB11 electrics/pickups (if bolt-on).... one day maybe.

So i just received my first Status, Which has put in an appearence on here before.

It was originally ordered by Zigmondo 4 years ago, Eddie (fullrangebass) bought it in November, then sold it to me :)

recieved it last night.

Fingerstyle, i am very happy with it, got a nice tone when digging in, which is my ideal non musicman fingerstyle tone. IE less growly, more piano like. I am a tad unhappy with its slap tone, which is a bit dull. It's probably down to the strings not being new or bright enough, so i just ordered a custom set from Status and hopefully my slap dreams will be realised!

On the other hand, the bass plays like a dream, probably wont be my last status :rolleyes:

[url="http://img3.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1734.jpg"][/url]
My ugly unshaven mug and equally ugly jumper.

Rob.

Congrats on your new purchase, Rob - And welcome to the 'club'!

Yes, they always do sound better on new strings (as all basses do) - Also, for a great slap sound, try having the three way switch in the middle (mid flat position) & boost the treble and bass all the way. Ultimate slap sound! :rolleyes:

And more than anything, enjoy yourself! There's nothing quite like an S2-Classic :)

Rich.

I know what you mean, Jay - I had a period with no S2's around & it just didn't feel right. Rob's comment about the piano-like tone is quite right, too. Nothing sounds quite like one. It is the evolution of the original Status bass as well, of course.

After being at the O2 (Millenium Dome) Arena at the weekend with the Statii crew, Rob & Dawn, and meeting up with Mark King, hearing the new Mk-II bass, I have to admit to some KB MK-II GAS at the moment. Must resist... Must resist...

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='430653' date='Mar 10 2009, 04:14 PM']I know what you mean, Jay - I had a period with no S2's around & it just didn't feel right. Rob's comment about the piano-like tone is quite right, too. Nothing sounds quite like one. It is the evolution of the original Status bass as well, of course.

After being at the O2 (Millenium Dome) Arena at the weekend with the Statii crew, Rob & Dawn, and meeting up with Mark King, hearing the new Mk-II bass, I have to admit to some KB MK-II GAS at the moment. Must resist... Must resist...

Rich.[/quote]

I know what you mean....... apart from the KBMK11 having one of those weird 'Head' contraptions..... quite like a 'proper' version.... maybe a 5 string... hmmm

Well done Rob. I remember Zigmondo selling that bass and it is a real beauty.

Now Rich. Look into my eyes, not around them look into them. You do not need to resist. You haven't resisted much so far so why start now. Why not add to the beauties you allready have? :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='430653' date='Mar 10 2009, 04:14 PM']I know what you mean, Jay - I had a period with no S2's around & it just didn't feel right. Rob's comment about the piano-like tone is quite right, too. Nothing sounds quite like one. It is the evolution of the original Status bass as well, of course.

Rich.[/quote]

Go for it sir! You know you want to!

[quote name='crez5150' post='430658' date='Mar 10 2009, 04:18 PM']I know what you mean....... apart from the KBMK11 having one of those weird 'Head' contraptions..... quite like a 'proper' version.... maybe a 5 string... hmmm[/quote]

Speaking of the weird 'head' contraption on the Mk-II, my friend Todd from Canada who showed his Retroglide KB the other week (I think it's about a page back) has a very special MK-II on order - The first headless model. Looks like it's going to be a stunner :)

As for hypnotism, I don't need any encouragement to buy another Status. Just a bigger bank balance, as Nick will also attest to!

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='431105' date='Mar 10 2009, 11:00 PM']As for hypnotism, I don't need any encouragement to buy another Status. Just a bigger bank balance, as Nick will also attest to![/quote]
Don't you just hate it when someone else tries to make you spend your own money. At least you can write them down as a legitimate business expense.

Todd, our friend from Canada who put up the stunning pics of his Retroglide KingBass on this thread (or epic) the other week came over to join us for possibly the biggest meet of Status players on record last weekend. Many met at the Moo's flat in Kensington & some of us joined them later at the O2 Arena in Grenwich.

Here are a few of Todd's pics...

The Moo with his lovely Alembic Series II.

Darren at home with his prototype KingBass b/o & the "Stuttgart" bass, KingBass Mk-II prototype no.2

Darren playing Todd's Retroglide

Andre with the Retroglide

Jamming with the StarChild & early GMT-equipped SII

The FPPR (bright red) S2000 which was later autographed by Mark King (curiously in b&w!)

Todd & Moo at the O2

The Status crew with Rob & Dawn from Status-Graphite

Some of the crew with Mark King

Awwww!

Great pix mate - wish I could have been there! Moo's place is like an Aladdin's cave of tasty treats - incidentally, I used to own his FPPR 2000 and Jon Randle (Dr and the Medics) used to own the early Series II - Jon had the LEDs fitted to it. I got the red one back in 2001 and at that point, I also had the ice blue one; they were reunited for a short time at Moos when I took the blue one down there!