Why become a member? ×

Get your STATUS-GRAPHITE basses out!

OutToPlayJazz

Thanks Rich. It needs new strings so some Hot Wires on their way. Can't wait to get that zing into the sound.:)

EDIT: Just swapped over the strings from my Hohner Steinberger. What a sound, just what I want.

Edited by BassBus

• 2 weeks later...

Hello mate, 0702 starts off the serial number, so, just coming up to 7 years old.
Waiting for 100-40 Hotwires for S2 and KGB replica. Dead strings do the natural harmonics and sustain of this bass a complete diservice, that's what fingers and eq are for.
The S2 is a monster to play and the eq is just how I expected it to be, musical but brutal.
Really looking forward to rehearsals with this, as our old drummer has returned to the fold, so, will be playing it live soon.

Alright kids, if we're playing this game...........

My Kingbass Artist, she is a pretty girl :)

[attachment=24159:Bass.jpg]
[attachment=24160:Kingbass.jpg]
[attachment=24161:Kingbass__3_.jpg]
[attachment=24162:Kingbass__7_.jpg]
[attachment=24163:my_bass2.jpg]
[attachment=24164:my_bass.jpg]

Sadly I CANNOT take credit for these lovely piccies, they were taken by her original owner Craig (or BassWesty)

Think he did a damn good job, don't you :rolleyes:

[b]Iscolman[/b], love that Empathy 5 - You don't see many of the 5's around these days.

[b]BassBus[/b], your highly polished 1000 is looking really good - Still not quite as stunning as 'Miss Maple', though :)

[b]Sam[/b], your KingBass is stunning! Are those Status or SIMS led's? Make sure the 16.5mm one you're looking at is even better than that one!

Some fantastic basses tonight, guys. Thanks for sharing!

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='467955' date='Apr 20 2009, 11:29 PM'][b]BassBus[/b], your highly polished 1000 is looking really good - Still not quite as stunning as 'Miss Maple', though :rolleyes:

Some fantastic basses tonight, guys. Thanks for sharing!

Rich.[/quote]
Well there is only about £1000 difference in the price between the two. :)

Has there ever been a bad Status let free from the factory? Even the quality of the Washburn is pretty high.

Edited by BassBus

one of the reasons I always see when people sell Status' is because the tone is modern etc.

I just wondered what you guys thought? Surely with all the eq options it must be possible to dial in some kind of vintage p or j tone?

[quote name='Hamster' post='319482' date='Nov 1 2008, 10:07 AM']Sorry, it should be "my bass strings are worth more than my car" thread - I'll start the thread because I qualify too! :rolleyes:[/quote]

I once sold a car for £40, so err... :)

You can get a good P bass tone but I find when both pickups are on, ie, in the centre position, the tone doesn't seem as good as either pickup soloed.
I like the bridge pup with a little bass boost and only use the powerful mid control very carefully, as it can overwhelm.
The main thing I like about the bass is that is such a great instrument to play, making lines jump out because the tone is so even right across the board.

Funnily enough, I started a thread on the basses forum the other evening asking whether anyone had ever been asked for the classic p bass sound. Personally I don't find the Status sound too modern. The basses are capable of massive tonal variation and for me, a Status running on both pickups with treble and bass boosted equally & the mid selector on flat sounds rounded, soulful and 'fruity'!

I have other basses for more classic sounds as well, though. My jazz is fine for passive requirements and has serious bite & tone when plugged into the Sadowsky preamp. But at the end of the day nothing sounds like a Status :)

I love the sound of the soap bar pickups but what grabs me most about Status instruments is the neck. It just suits my hand so well and it was the one thing that I never forgot after first trying one in 1987.

Sound wise I have different settings for fretless and fretted. Fretless is biased towards the bridge pickup but S1000 fretted is more biased towards the neck pickup. Having said that the bias is just either side of the centre point. It's the crystal clear hifiish sound I like. Lots of zing from new strings on the S1000. I like a fatter sound on played in strings on the fretless but there is still that Status click when the string hits the board.

Reasonably new Status P-bass neck equipped Jazz Bass.

It's lurvley - as you might imagine

Ash body, badass III bridge - through body string anchoring, DiMarzio Ultrajazz p/u's, dual concentric pots, hipshot ultralight tuners.

Neck p/u does a very good impersonation of a P-bass - the more bridge p/u you add however, the more growly it gets.

Thinking about a 5-string fretless T-bass or 5-string fretless S2 classic bolt-on now - although I did note someone had a very nice 5-string fretless King Bass for sale over at the statii site. Making enquiries as we speak........

[attachment=24711:statj1.jpg] [attachment=24712:statj2.jpg]

Lovely looking jazz there - Did you build it yourself?

Now a fretless T-Bass 5 sounds great. I think there may be one or two fretless 5 S2-Classics at Status at the moment, but don't quote me on it. The stock basses move out of there so fast that the stock pages on the website haven't a chance of keeping up usually.