Why become a member? ×

Get your STATUS-GRAPHITE basses out!

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='615278' date='Oct 2 2009, 09:42 PM']I've actually tracked my original one down again, but the owner doesn't want to sell at the moment. Maybe I'll get it back here one day for a full Status refinish...[/quote]

We could start a new website - `Statii Reunited'!

Gotta go, off to Gloucester for my debut gig with `Mike Berry and The Outlaws'!!!

See yall later!

Nick

[quote name='NickH' post='613146' date='Sep 30 2009, 06:01 PM']Well, four (?) odd years after going to visit the charming Rob and Dawn in the factory, I'm finally the proud owner of a Staus bass :)
Walnut SmartBass with J / MM into a parametric 3-band. Damn it's sexy!
Love the SmartBass body shape, contempory but not kooky like the S2 or bloaty like the KingBass (sorry to happy owners of said basses, they're just not to my taste... unto each his own!).[/quote]
Very nice, looks like my kind of bass :rolleyes:

SE Bass Bash ... anyone here going ?

I'm planning on taking my Eclipse LTD 5 ... this is one than I'm considering trading, or, for a [b]really[/b] tempting offer, selling. Let me know if anyone's interested. Follow the link in my sig for pics.

For trades, I'd typically be looking at non-status basses (definitely 5s), although a late-model (mag+piezo) electro fretless 5 might tempt me.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='NickH' date='Sep 30 2009, 06:01 PM' post='613146']

Love the SmartBass body shape, contempory but not kooky like the S2 or bloaty like the KingBass (sorry to happy owners of said basses, they're just not to my taste... unto each his own)

MB1. :)
....Bloaty Kingbass?....What you feeding it?

I've been going over a few songs and realising the usefulness of the mid switch. I love lots of(boost) low(est) mids for driving songs along but then when a more subtle one comes along a simple flick of a switch later - Voila!

It's put my GAS for a streamline into orbit :)

[quote name='MB1' post='629884' date='Oct 18 2009, 09:53 PM']Love the SmartBass body shape, contempory but not kooky like the S2 or bloaty like the KingBass (sorry to happy owners of said basses, they're just not to my taste... unto each his own)

MB1. :rolleyes:
....Bloaty Kingbass?....What you feeding it?[/quote]
Get your coat!!! :lol: :)

Congrats both to Peter (GreeneKing) & Gaz. Two lovely basses you have there. Is the top of the Empathy 5 what they call "Burr Madrone" or something like that, Peter?

I'm always going to be a sucker for a maple topped S2 - One of my pupils has a 5-string and the sound is just immense! Glad you're enjoying this one, Gaz!

Rich :)

Yes it is, Burr Madrone I think it's called.

Just got in from doing 7 numbers at a Jam Night. The bass was great.

Sadly we were crap to be honest, never been worse. Drummer too loud, lacking any nuance and lead singer/guitarist missing his cues and trying to hard and his singing suffered.

Timing was sh*te and we've a long way to go.

I felt I played okay despite being surrounded be a cacophony :)

Oh well it was a valuable experience. nerves played a huge part I think, although I felt fine.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='631941' date='Oct 20 2009, 11:18 PM']Congrats both to Peter (GreeneKing) & Gaz. Two lovely basses you have there. Is the top of the Empathy 5 what they call "Burr Madrone" or something like that, Peter?

I'm always going to be a sucker for a maple topped S2 - One of my pupils has a 5-string and the sound is just immense! Glad you're enjoying this one, Gaz!

Rich :rolleyes:[/quote]

Cheers Rich, I haven't figured out the best use of the mid control yet in a live situation (playing rock and pop covers) and I guess these things just take time. Any tips you could share would be gratefully received. :)
Regards

Gaz

[quote name='gazhowe' post='633329' date='Oct 22 2009, 12:05 PM']Cheers Rich, I haven't figured out the best use of the mid control yet in a live situation (playing rock and pop covers) and I guess these things just take time. Any tips you could share would be gratefully received. :)
Regards

Gaz[/quote]

Hi Gaz! Lovely bass btw! EQ of course is a personal thing but from experience of owning an SII with the 3 band EQ back in '93 playing rock, I used to favour the mid taken out for rockier stuff, then I'd boost it as and when required, for example, `All Right Now' by Free benefitted from a mid boost!

Cheers

Nick

After promising for ages, I've finally managed to get some images of mine. This is a Series II, ordered by me from Sheffield Carlsboro Sound Centre and delivered in 1986 (Phil Oakey and his then partner - one of the HL singers - was in the shop when I visited to collect: they'd just finished a Saturday morning kids show on TV). It's number 251 and has a Padauk top. I used this bass for the second part of my 'career' (up until around '91). It is very heavily gigged but I looked after it so it's still in extremely good condition. The only signs of age are some greying of the lacquer at the sides of the fretboard (a bit of WD40 on the board helped with this but hasn't remedied it fully - thanks OTPJ!) The bass still plays beautifully and sounds thunderous (it's a Status!) Apologies for the poor quality of the images - my talent for photography is matched by that for playing bass

[quote name='lozbass' post='634650' date='Oct 23 2009, 05:32 PM']After promising for ages, I've finally managed to get some images of mine. This is a Series II, ordered by me from Sheffield Carlsboro Sound Centre and delivered in 1986 (Phil Oakey and his then partner - one of the HL singers - was in the shop when I visited to collect: they'd just finished a Saturday morning kids show on TV). It's number 251 and has a Padauk top. I used this bass for the second part of my 'career' (up until around '91). It is very heavily gigged but I looked after it so it's still in extremely good condition. The only signs of age are some greying of the lacquer at the sides of the fretboard (a bit of WD40 on the board helped with this but hasn't remedied it fully - thanks OTPJ!) The bass still plays beautifully and sounds thunderous (it's a Status!) Apologies for the poor quality of the images - my talent for photography is matched by that for playing bass[/quote]

MB1. :)
...I say!... :rolleyes:
Green Machine Technology pickups too