Why become a member? ×

Get your STATUS-GRAPHITE basses out!

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='811449' date='Apr 19 2010, 03:39 PM']Lozbass' Series II #251 is [for me] the most beautiful example of a mid 80's Status I could possibly imagine.[/quote]

Why thank you sir - you are a gentleman and your comments are greatly appreciated! When I'm next over your way, I'll be sure to bring the bass along with me (and you can teach me how to play it! :) )

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='813939' date='Apr 21 2010, 04:48 PM']Here are a few more, a couple of '93 Series 1s and an Energy from a few years later:

[/quote]

A stunning trio! Those burst finishes are lovely - would have been from around '90/'91 I would estimate!

Was down at the Status factory today! Rob is very well and they are very busy down there - the factory is having a mezzanine floor put in to give them more workspace `upstairs' as it were!

Take care y'all!

Nick

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='814398' date='Apr 21 2010, 10:20 PM']A stunning trio! Those burst finishes are lovely - would have been from around '90/'91 I would estimate![/quote]

Thanks Doc!

I should have given them a bit of a polish before I snapped them, the picture doesn't really do them justice. Apart from some finger wear around the top of the pickups they're still in pretty much mint condition. I did add Bartolini TBTs to them as the original circuits were very noisy hence the Empathy style control layouts, they originally had a stacked bass / treble and no switch.

They're definitely from '93, I've still got the receipts from the Bass Centre! The blue 5 stringer was one of the second batch given to the press and was reviewed in Guitarist in March '93 (can be found in the resources section of the Statii website if your interested).

(Egad! - 68 basses - I don't feel so bad about ordering a couple of S2 classics now!)

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='818037' date='Apr 25 2010, 01:34 PM']Lovely basses, Rich! What S2's did you order in the end? I seem to recall replying to one of your comparison threads on Statii.

Rich.[/quote]

Thanks!

The new S2s were partly inspired by a couple of your basses, hope you don't mind...

S2 Classic 6 string, Fretted, Headed, Neck-thru
Standard pickups and electronics, Gold hardware
2 piece body with dark figured walnut facings to front and rear
Maple fingerboard to contrast with the dark wood facings (inspired by your 5 stringer)

and also:

S2 Classic 5 string, Plain fretless, Headed, Neck-thru
Standard pickups and electronics, Gold hardware
2 piece body with medium wood facings to front and rear (hopefully a bit like your Myrtle wood bass)
Rosewood fingerboard to contrast with the medium wood facing

Hopefully the rosewood board will soften the tone of the fretless for a woodier sound as I've already got a nice bright phenolic sound from the Series 1.

They're due sometime in July / August, can't wait!

Wow, that's some money's worth, Rich! They sound really nice & as they say, imitation is the best kind of flattery :) Looking forward to the pics of these two stunners! Why do you tend to go for the headed models, btw? (Just curious - I always go for the headless models for Status basses, apart from if I eventually order a KB-MkII. That would have to be headed!)

[quote name='hen barn' post='819994' date='Apr 26 2010, 09:47 PM']anyone selling a 5 string??? headed???[/quote]

I know you've been looking for a long time, hen barn. Hopefully your S2000 will shift and you'll be able to go to the factory and buy a stock 5-string S2 soon. :)

For the Status fraternity (either current players or those wanting to own a Status bass), hen barn has this lovely SIMS led-equipped S2000 for sale at the moment. Help make him a happy man by buying this so he can get his shiny new S2-Classic 5-stringer...

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='lozbass' post='812479' date='Apr 20 2010, 12:55 PM']Why thank you sir - you are a gentleman and your comments are greatly appreciated! When I'm next over your way, I'll be sure to bring the bass along with me (and you can teach me how to play it! :rolleyes: )[/quote]

You do realise that if your stunning SII ever came through my door Lawrence, you'd have to prise it out of my cold dead hands to get it back, don't you? :lol:

But yes, you're welcome anytime - And I'll send you away with some serious practise to do! :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='819828' date='Apr 26 2010, 07:32 PM']Wow, that's some money's worth, Rich! They sound really nice & as they say, imitation is the best kind of flattery :) Looking forward to the pics of these two stunners! Why do you tend to go for the headed models, btw? (Just curious - I always go for the headless models for Status basses, apart from if I eventually order a KB-MkII. That would have to be headed!)[/quote]

I've noticed on the Statii forum my tastes seem to be a bit different to most people there. I've never been into headless basses and I also don't really like the look of the tone blocks through the middle.... the line of the neck through isn't parallel to the line of the tone block and that looks a little odd to me (maybe I've got OCD!) so hence the 2 piece body specification.

If I remember correctly my blue 5 stringer was one of the first headed Status basses they built and it just looked and felt right, I'd never considered a Status before that.

However I'm starting to get tempted by the headless classic ones, preferably all graphite so who knows.... it all seems to be very addictive.

Addictive? Oh yes. I had 6 Status basses for a while, but I trimmed things back down to the four I actually play professionally - *PHEW!*

Hen Barn's S2000 is a really nice example. I think that'll make someone a really nice bass. Yes, the all graphite models are great, too. I love my Streamline and am still waiting for Rob to reissue the 2000 in the form of a re-shaped Stealth. It might happen! :)

When I visited the factory recently Dawn informed me it was the S2000 that turned so many people on to Status basses. With the promised new models next year maybe that S2000 reissue will happen. They were keeping their cards very close to their chests.

[quote name='BassBus' post='820494' date='Apr 27 2010, 12:06 PM']When I visited the factory recently Dawn informed me it was the S2000 that turned so many people on to Status basses. With the promised new models next year maybe that S2000 reissue will happen. They were keeping their cards very close to their chests.[/quote]

That would be great, with a headed option for eccentrics like me!

thanks "out to play jazz" for the plug on my s2000. I sold my motorbike this weekend so dont need to sell the s2000 but would do a deal for a mk!!! so i have some cash to just buy a 5 string!!!!! so how come they are doing a shiny new S2-Classic 5-stringer????? has it been re issued?

yes im am getting confused!!! i have just started playing after 10 year gap!! i love my s2000 and would love to keep but could be tempted by nice mk deal. the band im playing in now is a bit more rocky and would love to replace my old white yamaha 5 string with something a bit more sexy! i did not know what status is the best 5 with a head. so i have just looked on the status site and yes the classic 2 is the one!!!!!!! would love a nice maple one of those but i cant afford a new one! so we have to keep looking!!!! if you here anything let me know!! willing to travel!!

Now for the mother of all Status basses. My very own Buzzard. I got this in September 2005 (new of course) and it is apparently the last one ever made. I had planned to save for a year to get one. I'd given up smoking and everything then all that Warwick rubbish happened. I was skint for 8 months after that. The sweet taste of beans on toast became a regular occurence. It was all worth it though. The thing is a beast and arguably, the best bass bass guitar ever made. I'm sure lots of people will disagree. Just my opinion. :)

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='823506' date='Apr 29 2010, 10:39 PM']Now for the mother of all Status basses. My very own Buzzard. I got this in September 2005 (new of course) and it is apparently the last one ever made. I had planned to save for a year to get one. I'd given up smoking and everything then all that Warwick rubbish happened. I was skint for 8 months after that. The sweet taste of beans on toast became a regular occurence. It was all worth it though. The thing is a beast and arguably, the best bass bass guitar ever made. I'm sure lots of people will disagree. Just my opinion. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I know a lot of people lust after the Buzzards - And to have the very last production model is something very special indeed! Congrats on a stunning instrument :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='823512' date='Apr 29 2010, 10:45 PM']I know a lot of people lust after the Buzzards - And to have the very last production model is something very special indeed! Congrats on a stunning instrument :)[/quote]

It was pure chance I got the last one. I was saving for it then it got wiped from their website and when I phoned Dawn said I had 3 weeks to get one due to Warwick setting their pack dog legal team on them. So my father in law lent me some cash. When I told him a while back how much it is now to try and get one he said "Why didn't you tell me?!! I would have lent you the money to get 2!!" I doubt I'd have been able to eat beans on toast that long....

I think as well it's that Rob is just such a nice guy. A few years ago I took the buzzard to the Bass Centre to get the action lowered. I told them not to do anything else as it was new strings and batteries. They changed the batteries and jammed one in with the plastic cap still on the 9V and screwed all the contacts. Rob kindly fixed it for me (for free!!) and we had a bit of a chinwag. I tried a few other basses which were about such as the Streamline and a couple of Mark Kings. Superb. I'll never go back to the Bass Centre for anything.

For those interested, this was about the time that the Streamline was reviewed in BGM and I asked what sort of stuff he had in the pipeline. Rob mentioned that there would be a bass with a large body "sort of like the buzzard, but maybe something like an explorer." I was already salivating in the taxi back to the station. I guess we'll see what new models he has in store for us.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='823549' date='Apr 29 2010, 11:22 PM']Hey Andy - Long time no see! How's things over there? Still got the two Sadowskys?[/quote]
Yup indeed just back from praccy tonight with the PJ, great basses, love em to bits.