Why become a member? ×

Get your STATUS-GRAPHITE basses out!

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='BassBus' post='823949' date='Apr 30 2010, 12:37 PM']Some lovely basses there. The original Buzzards really are amazing basses.

Andy, what is the face wood on your KB 5? Lovely basses.[/quote]yup matt/satin rosewood, great bass first really expensive bass i ever bought, should have been a 4, sold it for 999 to someone in bonnie scotland i believe.

Thanks for the kind comments! I'm really pleased with how she has turned out, made all 4 months worth the wait!

The facing is highly figured walnut - Rob's done a cracking job in finding me such a stunning piece! The satin finish took me by surprise, but really adds to the effect.

Don't even think about a fretless S2, Rich. Just order one, they are fantastic. I scoop all the mids out of mine and it has a lovely "loose" sound to it when played over the end of the neck. I use flats which I don't like on a wooden board but they work really well on the phenolic.

[quote name='BassBus' post='825560' date='May 2 2010, 03:08 PM']Don't even think about a fretless S2, Rich. Just order one, they are fantastic. I scoop all the mids out of mine and it has a lovely "loose" sound to it when played over the end of the neck. I use flats which I don't like on a wooden board but they work really well on the phenolic.[/quote]

Don't tempt me, Graham... Two lovely Fenders, anyone? :) (Sure I've been here before!)

• 4 weeks later...

A little bit of Status history here. Those of you in the know will know that the early Status prototypes were called "Strata" until Rob got a note of legality from the Fender MIC saying that "Strata" was a little too close to Stratocaster, and hence Status-Graphite was born in the early 80's.

The Moo (here and on Statii) owns a very early Strata fretless, no.005 and I recently got talking to Kevin who owns Strata no.004. I got some pictures in my inbox today, not only of no.4, but also Kevin's early Status guitar...

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Remember how Darren's "Stuttgart Bass" was first spotted on a Level 42 gig picture a couple of years ago & it turned out to be one of the KingBass Mk-II prototypes? Well, this has just appeared on Statii.com. Seems Mark King has been gigging in Belgium with a new bass - A modified KingBass Mk-I (or is it a Mk-II) with J-type pickups and two colours of LED's. Could this be part of the Level 42 anniversary, or the Status 30th anniversary, I wonder...? :)

Video available here... [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oX71_EJdtQ&feature=channel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oX71_EJdtQ...feature=channel[/url]

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

A note from Rob Green posted on Statii today...

[size=3][font="Comic Sans MS"]Hi Everybody,

YES ! There is a 'new' KingBass to celebrate Level 42's thirty years making fine music. The general specifications are along the lines of the original (smaller body) KingBass but with the later J pickups added. The graphite through-neck is set into the body underneath the book-matched facing.

There are two models :
1. Birdseye maple with a vintage sunburst.
2. Flame maple with a cherry amber sunburst.

There are more tweaks to the bass and I'll be adding details and photographs to the web-site this week so keep logging on.

Also.... I took a new bass up to Chris Wolstenholme (Muse) a couple of weeks ago while they were checking through their massive arena set. It's a headed S2-Classic through-neck with a walnut facing and mahogany back. He Loved it and will be using it during this summers festivals and arena gigs. We are also kicking other ideas around for him so more Muse news soon.

All the best, Rob.[/font][/size]

Got my two dream basses... a brace of Buzzards - by the daddy of Buzzard manufacturers, Status.
The B1 is one of John's as you probably know, the B2 I acquired yesterday from a great guy called Ian - ex bassist in The Whodlums. It is less than 3 years old, mint and fully flightcased. The spec:
Ash on Alder with black sunburst; side L.E.D's - Red; Gotoh tuners; D-tuner; chrome hardware.
Plays fantastic with a nice low action - can't wait to christen it! The wood chosen by Rob Green is also amazing - sets the bass apart for me.

Some pics:

Edited by garethox

Very nice basses, Gareth. I'm sure I've seen your new B2 somewhere before. Did the previous owner feature it on Statii or something? I think I made some comments on your B1 a while ago when you first got it - Needless to say, you have a piece of history there. I have a feeling it's the bass you'll never sell :)

Congrats on a stunning pair!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='854191' date='Jun 1 2010, 09:45 PM']Very nice basses, Gareth. I'm sure I've seen your new B2 somewhere before. Did the previous owner feature it on Statii or something? I think I made some comments on your B1 a while ago when you first got it - Needless to say, you have a piece of history there. I have a feeling it's the bass you'll never sell :)

Congrats on a stunning pair![/quote]

Thanks Rich.... it is very similar to Ollie's old B2, which is featured on Statii; his bass gave me bad GAS for over two years. So very happy to have found (as far as I know) the only other one like it.

Just picked up a used S2 Bolt on from the Bass Gallery:

It's exactly the spec I would have ordered and apart from a couple of light dings and some finger wear it's as good as new. It feels exactly like my old S1 but has a sweeter, more complex tone and complements the full on bassy, edgy, in yer face sound of the S1.

Really chuffed! :)

[quote name='BassBus' post='862491' date='Jun 9 2010, 06:51 PM']Nice bass Fat Rich. Hope you enjoy playing it. Now will someone please buy the fretless Series II from the Gallery and remove temptation from my site.

Looking forward to your T-bass ahpook[/quote]

Thanks! After playing it a bit more I've noticed the neck is slightly chubbier than the Series 1, probably because it has a truss rod. But it still feels like I've been playing it for years. I've just got to get to grips with all the preamp EQ options now, so far I'm very happy with everything flat.

That fretless Series II in the shop is rather nice, can see why you'd be tempted!

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='862395' date='Jun 9 2010, 05:40 PM']Just picked up a used S2 Bolt on from the Bass Gallery:

It's exactly the spec I would have ordered and apart from a couple of light dings and some finger wear it's as good as new. It feels exactly like my old S1 but has a sweeter, more complex tone and complements the full on bassy, edgy, in yer face sound of the S1.

Really chuffed! :)[/quote]

Lovely looking bass, Rich - You'll find the satin finish marks more easily - My S2 5er with the cocobolo top & phenowood board has a few little battle scars on it, but it is the bass I work most of all these days.

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='863436' date='Jun 10 2010, 04:26 PM']You've bought another one then? :lol:

BB[/quote]

We still need some pics of your lovely new Streamline catch, Captain Bob! :rolleyes:

Here we have the first official pictures of the Level 42 30th Anniversary KingBass & a description from the official Status website...

In celebration of the 30th Anniversary of Level 42 making great music and in collaboration with Mark King
we have developed a special version of the now classic KingBass.

Each custom-made instrument will be supplied with an individually numbered certificate
signed by both Mark King and Rob Green.

The original KingBass was designed and first introduced 10 years ago.

Mark suggested the combination of the original, smaller body combined with the Mk-II J pickups and classic Status EQ.
His 4-string models retain the custom 16.5mm string spacing and 32" scale "BendWell" options preferred by Mark.

The 30th Anniversary KingBass is available as both four and five string models and includes many custom options :

> Custom 16.5mm string spacing

> Headless woven graphite neck with custom 32" scale and 'BendWell'

> Custom 2010 hum-cancelling J type pickups

> 3-band EQ with variable frequency midrange

> Custom front and side LED's featuring new back-lit stars

> Graphite through-neck set into body below the front facing wood

> Book-matched birds eye or flamed maple facing veneer

> Two stunning colour options : Cherry-amber or Vintage-amber sunburst

> Custom gold hardware designed by Rob Green and custom made for Status Graphite

# The 30th Anniversary model only has the wood and LED options are as pictured below.
These will have exactly the same specifications, colours, EQ and set-up as Mark's basses.

Birds eye maple facing veneer
Vintage-amber sunburst
Mahogany back

Custom 'star' LED's on front face of fingerboard
Blue LED's on 3, 5, 7, 9, 15, 17, 19, 21st frets
Two blue LED's on the 24th fret
Two red LED's on the 12th fret
Red side LED's
Custom 30th Anniversary logo in BendWell
Gold hardware

Flamed maple facing veneer
Cherry-amber sunburst
Mahogany back

Custom 'star' LED's on front face of fingerboard
Green LED's on 3, 5, 7, 9, 15, 17, 19, 21st frets
Two green LED's on the 24th fret
Two red LED's on the 12th fret
Red side LED's
Custom 30th Anniversary logo in BendWell
Gold hardware

The custom 32" scale BendWell is fitted as standard.
It has a silver logo stating : "Level 42, 30th Anniversary, 1980 - 2010".

The headless "top-nut" is designed to use double-ball strings but you can also fit regular single-ball strings using the locking screws supplied with the bass.

Mark's bass has his name back-lit with red LED's on the 12th fret.

Custom production models will have two star shaped markers on the 12th fret as standard.

Blue and red LED's are featured on the birds eye maple / vintage sunburst model
Green and red LED's are featured on the flamed maple / vintage sunburst model

Mark has two 30th Anniversary basses :

This model has a flame maple facing veneer over a mahogany back.
The faux, natural binding accentuates the cherry - amber sunburst.

Green and red LED's are fitted.

Mark's other 30th Anniversary model has a birds eye maple veneer over a mahogany back with a vintage - amber sunburst.

Gold hardware is fitted as standard.

Star shaped front LED's back-lit with blue LED's.

A dual-action truss-rod is fitted.
This allows a perfect set-up to suit your personal preference and playing style.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Cont'd...

The 30th Anniversary J pickups are a completely new 2010 design.
Clarity and dynamics are preserved while being fully screened and hum-cancelling.

An active EQ is fitted which has treble and bass, cut / boost controls. It also has a variable frequency midrange control with a boost / flat / cut switch.

An 18 volt battery supply is fitted to allow for full dynamics and maximum headroom.

The woven graphite through-neck is set into the body then the facing wood is vacuum pressed on. This is a more difficult and time consuming design but allows the wood to be seen across the full face of the body.

All hardware is custom made to our own design exclusively for Status Graphite.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz