Why become a member? ×

Get your STATUS-GRAPHITE basses out!

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='928624' date='Aug 18 2010, 01:39 PM']Yeah I know they do one but it fits headed and headless Statii. I'd prefer in the first place to get one for a headless (more portable) but its good to know that failing that there is another option.

Cheers

CP[/quote]

Fair nuff! I've a feeling the Hiscox guitar sized case might be big enough, but best to try one out first. There's probably plenty of them about.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='928596' date='Aug 18 2010, 01:20 PM']New Hiscox case from Status is £68 and available from their on line shop if you can't find one anywhere else.[/quote]
Just beware that the Washburn Status I used to own didn't fit in the Hiscox case for my S2. I ended up buying a second hand guitar case which fitted it beautifully.

[quote name='Rich' post='928599' date='Aug 18 2010, 01:23 PM']When I saw Genesis on their Mama tour in 1984, Mike Rutherford was using a doubleneck gtr+bass Status. In fact, Status made all the guitars and basses used by Daryl and Mike at that gig. Seemed to be quite a promotional splurge.
Whatever happened to that doubleneck, I wonder?[/quote]
Link to a recent thread on this subject on Statii.com

[url="http://www.statii.com/forum/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=3261"]http://www.statii.com/forum/forum/viewthre...?thread_id=3261[/url]

[quote name='stenobass' post='930042' date='Aug 19 2010, 05:00 PM']Hi,

just noticed this thread so here are some pics of my 3 beloved Statii, sorry for the bad quality...

From left to right: KingBass Artist; KingBass MKII; Series II #56[/quote]

Hi Stenobass! Good to see another Statii member over here! Lovely collection, too! :)

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='928596' date='Aug 18 2010, 01:20 PM']New Hiscox case from Status is £68 and available from their on line shop if you can't find one anywhere else.[/quote]

Not quite;

Subtotal 68.00
Delivery 25.00
Tax VAT 16.27
TOTAL 109.27

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='931301' date='Aug 20 2010, 08:59 PM']That is a truly magnificent specimen. Did you put it up on the Strata register at statii.com yet?

Rich :)[/quote]

Now that is a stunner and a historical bass to be added to the data base of Statii.com indeed!

[quote name='stenobass' post='930042' date='Aug 19 2010, 05:00 PM']Hi,

just noticed this thread so here are some pics of my 3 beloved Statii, sorry for the bad quality...

From left to right: KingBass Artist; KingBass MKII; Series II #56[/quote]

That Series II is beyond awesome. I absolutely love it!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='931301' date='Aug 20 2010, 07:59 PM']That is a truly magnificent specimen. Did you put it up on the Strata register at statii.com yet?

Rich :)[/quote]

Hi Rich,

I did indeed put it up on Statii.com some while ago.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='932067' date='Aug 21 2010, 06:43 PM']That Series II is beyond awesome. I absolutely love it![/quote]

Hi Chris,

thanks, here are some more pics of the Series II. The top wood is lace wood or Australian oak and according to Rob it was built in April 1984. It has of course the typical Status growl and honk that only these early basses have!

• Like 1

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='947270' date='Sep 6 2010, 02:59 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Custom-70s-Jazz-Bass-Status-Graphite-Neck-Fender-Tuners-/320586293172?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4aa46e9fb4"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Custom-70s-Jazz-Bass...=item4aa46e9fb4[/url][/quote]

Can't be many of those around! It'll be interesting to see what it goes for.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='947344' date='Sep 6 2010, 04:17 PM']Can't be many of those around! It'll be interesting to see what it goes for.[/quote]

Indeed. Watching with interest... Shame it's got that weird humbucker thing going on otherwise I could be half tempted to play.

In other news, I'm currently 75% sure I want a graphite neck for my project bass... I am going to be buying on a bit of a wing and a prayer as I have played on a graphite neck... just not one of Rob's aftermarket ones. Well, it's something a bit different from the stuff I have at the moment isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

I picked this up from Gumtree last week. The bass was dead cheap, a bargain to be honest considering the price included a hardcase - and all thanks to Toasted for getting it for me :) It was advertised as well worn and with no strap buttons. Easy, no problem, a great cheap back up bass for gigs which I won't mind leaving in the van/lock up etc.

It arrived on Monday and I have to say I was a bit surprised at how "well worn" it was. The photos on the FS ad didn't show its true colours and I'm not sure mine do either - I'll try to get more up later over the weekend. To say the body has a few dinks is an understatement.

I gave her a quick once-over, all seemed OK, but then I decided to tune her up,. The nut moved. I loosened the strings, the nut fell off. OK, no great shakes, a dab of glue and she's back solid as a rock. Then I checked out the battery. It has leaked inside the compartment, expanded and now won't come out. Plus one of the wires had broken off the box so it was useless anyway. New battery compartment from Dawn has been ordered today :rolleyes: The volume control... non existent. Well, the knob was non-existent. Fortunately I have three spare from my old Groove 5er when I swapped them over for different knobs, so stuck one of those on instead. Easy!

Finally, the strap buttons (or lack thereof). OK, I bought some straplocks for her, easy. Except that BOTH holes for the screws were so royally buggered that the biggest screw thread you can stick through a straplock hole still won't have any wood to bite against. I seem to have lost my tub of wood glue at the moment but i have some cocktail sticks primed and ready to plug the holes and start again...

Haven't even had a chance to plug her in and check the passive option works yet! :lol:

So, some first pics, apologies for the crap lighting, flash effects etc...

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Merton' post='958736' date='Sep 16 2010, 07:49 PM']Finally, the strap buttons (or lack thereof). OK, I bought some straplocks for her, easy. Except that BOTH holes for the screws were so royally buggered that the biggest screw thread you can stick through a straplock hole still won't have any wood to bite against. I seem to have lost my tub of wood glue at the moment but i have some cocktail sticks primed and ready to plug the holes and start again...[/quote]

Hey Mert, you really dont want to rely on cocktail sticks to hold the weight of a bass! Your best bet is to drill the holes out with an 8mm bit and insert and glue in 8mm dowels, then drill the correct size hole.

Ideally, you would use plugs cut accross the grain rather than dowels, but the ones you can buy from homebase should do the job ok.

Nice find by the way! Youre an addict :)

Cheers Mikey :) Cocktail sticks have worked OK on my other basses, but seeing as I have to go the Homebase to get some more wood glue I may as well do it properly :rolleyes:

Yes, I am an addict, especially Grooves, they're awesome. And this was only £125!! This will probably get more action than the Retroactive once the multiscale is finished (that will be no. 1, this the gig back-up). I do sometimes wonder if I'm greedy, but then I remember I have to own all these or I'd be spending my time kicking myself that I dind't have them :lol:

Have you recovered from your Royal visit?