Why become a member? ×

Get your STATUS-GRAPHITE basses out!

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='585331' date='Aug 30 2009, 07:33 PM']Martin will enjoy that one when it comes along!

I played the lovely black 2000 that the Moo owns - Stunning bass and one of the nicest Status basses I've ever played.

BassBus... Love the new avatar pic![/quote]
Martin's king bass is rather Tasty innit?and I [u]really[/u] want his jaydee!

Well, Status wins through again. Took My Fender Jazz/Sadowsky pre combination as well as the Streamline to the band call for two weeks of the "Footloose" stage show starting this week. Tried the jazz and it just wouldn't cut through the rest of the band (trumpet, saxes, guitar, piano, bass, drums.) The sound was just buried! Strangely enough it sounds much cleaner and more prominent through the MarkBass rig with the horn units, but that's way too much for a theatre.

Once I plugged in the Streamline, it cut through everything else like a scythe - Much better :)

So for the dress rehearsal this evening, I'll take the Streamline & one of the 5-string S2's... Seems that as usual, there's no substitute!

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Good to hear that Rich. I was looking through a lot of Ed Friedland's videos on you tube yesterday and I was struck just how generic all the basses sounded that he was playing. Even a six string MM Bongo. Maybe my ears have just become used to the sound of a Status bass.

I remember a gig I played in April when I took the Washburn along. I put it through the Hartke kickback amp that was there and just had the most fantastic sound ever. It's the S2000 next weekend though. That should sound even better. I'm going to look into a Hartke Hydrive 112c early next year. The MP is sounding a bit flat through my Ashdown.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='585676' date='Aug 31 2009, 11:36 AM']Well, Status wins through again. Took My Fender Jazz/Sadowsky pre combination as well as the Streamline to the band call for two weeks of the "Footloose" stage show starting this week. Tried the jazz and it just wouldn't cut through the rest of the band (trumpet, saxes, guitar, piano, bass, drums.) The sound was just buried! Strangely enough it sounds much cleaner and more prominent through the MarkBass rig with the horn units, but that's way too much for a theatre.

Once I plugged in the Streamline, it cut through everything else like a scythe - Much better :)

So for the dress rehearsal this evening, I'll take the Streamline & one of the 5-string S2's... Seems that as usual, there's no substitute!

Rich.[/quote]

+1

How long have I had your old Streamline Rich..........hmmm 6 months? Usually by now I'm getting bored with a bass and wondering what I could replace it with. Not this time.

[quote]+1

How long have I had your old Streamline Rich..........hmmm 6 months? Usually by now I'm getting bored with a bass and wondering what I could replace it with. Not this time.[/quote]

Yes, I think it's about six months, Mart - And as I believe I told you at the time, once you've experienced the Status sound and playability, everything else sort of fades into the background :) Glad you're enjoying it, though. The Streamline's definitely my favourite at the moment, although I've ended up playing this particular show on an S2 5-er as the part has some extra low bits to deal with.

What's next on the menu, Mart? S2-Classic? For me, I think it's going to be a Streamline 5-string (if Rob can still do them in the old "melted boiled sweet shape!")

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='586156' date='Aug 31 2009, 11:15 PM']Yes, I think it's about six months, Mart - And as I believe I told you at the time, once you've experienced the Status sound and playability, everything else sort of fades into the background :) Glad you're enjoying it, though. The Streamline's definitely my favourite at the moment, although I've ended up playing this particular show on an S2 5-er as the part has some extra low bits to deal with.

What's next on the menu, Mart? S2-Classic? For me, I think it's going to be a Streamline 5-string (if Rob can still do them in the old "melted boiled sweet shape!")

Rich.[/quote]

Not sure Rich, got a bit of fretless GAS at the moment but I don't really get on with fretless graphite necks (once had a Status neck on a Jazz and didn't like the sound at all). I would love a Streamline 5er - If I could pick one up for about £1200 I'd have one but I think I'll have to wait a bit before they start coming onto the 2nd hand market

[quote name='BassBus' post='593174' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:57 PM']If we are showing off our Statii at gigs here's The MP at a gig I played at the weekend with local country act Phil Bailey in Coldstream supporting T.J. Johnson.

[/quote]
why didnt mine (2000 See above) come fitted with a switch/led?
abw? do you guys know?

The earlier S2000 models had the active/passive switch but that was removed from the later models. They used two different boards. The TB4 had no switch and the TB42 had the active/passive switch. My 2000 is an early model from 1984 with original GMT pickups.Must admit it is quite useful on mine as the preamp has problems and might need replacing.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' post='593285' date='Sep 8 2009, 09:03 PM']The earlier S2000 models had the active/passive switch but that was removed from the later models. Must admit it is quite useful on mine as the preamp has problems and might need replacing.[/quote]
never tried my one passive ie taking out batteries
but admittedley never wanted to! do you think switch ommission was a redesign feature to cut out trouble your'e having?
whaddya think?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='591224' date='Sep 6 2009, 09:52 AM']Indeed Mart - The prices have increased so a 5-string Streamline is now £1495 before you start adding any options...

Here's my Streamline in action at a recent wedding - And the rest of my motley crew...

[/quote]

Who says the Streamline looks weird........suits you down to the ground Rich :)

I think at nearly £1500 I might have to contain myself regarding the 5er, but I'm enjoying the 4 banger enough for it not to matter.
The fretless GAS should imminently be relieved by another (not Status) british bass.

[quote name='witterth' post='593294' date='Sep 8 2009, 09:09 PM']never tried my one passive ie taking out batteries
but admittedley never wanted to! do you think switch ommission was a redesign feature to cut out trouble your'e having?
whaddya think?[/quote]
The switch is not the problem, it's something on the board, probably a componant. Switch ommission might just have been an alternative as the two different boards are still available on the Status site.

I think if you take the batteries out that will just switch the bass off, so no sound. As you say why run passive? The passive sound is the same as having the controls set flat anyway. Still a great sound. I'm running it through the EQ in my Zoom B2.1u and it is fantastic.

My bass has lived all over the world, America, Switzerland, Netherlands and back to UK, so it's no surprise that something has given up. It is certainly going to be worth having it repaired when I am prepared to let it out my hands and send it to the factory. Can't face that quite yet. Withdrawl symtoms and all that. :)

[quote name='BassBus' post='593285' date='Sep 8 2009, 09:03 PM']The earlier S2000 models had the active/passive switch but that was removed from the later models. They used two different boards. The TB4 had no switch and the TB42 had the active/passive switch. My 2000 is an early model from 1984 with original GMT pickups.Must admit it is quite useful on mine as the preamp has problems and might need replacing.[/quote]

My Series 2000 (#27) has got a yellow LED! I love LED active indication on basses - reminds me of when I got my first ever JD bass! Funnily enough though, the latter range of S2000 basses had the switch, without the LED! I had one from around 1990/91 with the slimline neck moulding.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='593470' date='Sep 8 2009, 11:52 PM']Sorry to har about your preamp, mate. Is this on the 2000?[/quote]
That's on the 2000. It's not really a big problem as it still has that great sound without the EQ engaged. As I say I don't want to be parted from it at the moment, it's just everything I've ever wanted in a fretted bass. :) :rolleyes: I'll speak to Dawn sometime though and have them repair it.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='585676' date='Aug 31 2009, 11:36 AM']Well, Status wins through again. Took My Fender Jazz/Sadowsky pre combination as well as the Streamline to the band call for two weeks of the "Footloose" stage show starting this week. Tried the jazz and it just wouldn't cut through the rest of the band (trumpet, saxes, guitar, piano, bass, drums.) The sound was just buried! Strangely enough it sounds much cleaner and more prominent through the MarkBass rig with the horn units, but that's way too much for a theatre.

Once I plugged in the Streamline, it cut through everything else like a scythe - Much better

Rich.[/quote]

He-he! You should try one with series/parallel switching! [i]Cut through[/i] doesn't describe it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, four (?) odd years after going to visit the charming Rob and Dawn in the factory, I'm finally the proud owner of a Staus bass :rolleyes:
Walnut SmartBass with J / MM into a parametric 3-band. Damn it's sexy!
Love the SmartBass body shape, contempory but not kooky like the S2 or bloaty like the KingBass (sorry to happy owners of said basses, they're just not to my taste... unto each his own!).

I got to say, needs a bit of tinkering with the setup as it's got a ton of fret buzz :), but I'm sure that won't take me long.
Sounds sweet :lol: