Why become a member? ×

Get your STATUS-GRAPHITE basses out!

OutToPlayJazz

Well, i got the new strings for the S2, (30-110 custom gauge) from status and i must say I LOVE the slap tone on my S2, So much so that i have just bought another Status bass!

How much of a sound difference does a headed 35inch scale has versus a 34inch scale S2 headless?

Did i get the S1 for a good price? i dont really know how much they go for.

Rob.

Looks like a pretty good price to me, Rob. I sold a much older Energy Artist 5 a year or so ago & it made a similar price, but was nowhere as nice as yours. Yours looks like a 2003 build by the serial number as well. Congrats :)

You won't notice a lot of difference in the overall sound, just a little more string tension than your S2. Barely a thing, basically. The 2 into 1 eq control will sound a little thicker than the newer 3 band system on the S2, but that's about it.

Rich.

Great respect to Rich's wisdom here, yet I was thinking there might well be quite a difference in sounds, given the string tensions, Eqs, circuitry, woods and builds, do you think? Still that Statusesqueness(er, that's a word; I looked it up... :) ) but the Status palette can still be a wide one, so to speak.
By 'eck, you're on a roll here Rob: wot economic downturn?! Top man.

[quote name='zigmondo' post='435052' date='Mar 15 2009, 09:35 AM']Great respect to Rich's wisdom here, yet I was thinking there might well be quite a difference in sounds, given the string tensions, Eqs, circuitry, woods and builds, do you think? Still that Statusesqueness(er, that's a word; I looked it up... :) ) but the Status palette can still be a wide one, so to speak.
By 'eck, you're on a roll here Rob: wot economic downturn?! Top man.[/quote]

When i like something, I go for it wholeheatedly!

I just hope i can get on with the scale length, otherwise i'll have to trade it for a 5 string fretless (Which is what i should have really bought with the money but GAS got the better of me!

LOL! I know what you mean, Rob - My 35" TRB-6 II is strung with 30-40-60-80-100-125 & it's still a little high on tension.

I prefer the 30 as a g-string personally - My usual 5-string sets for the Status basses are 30-50-70-90-115 Hotwires.

It'll be very interesting to see how you get on with the S1-Classic.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='436983' date='Mar 17 2009, 10:31 AM']LOL! I know what you mean, Rob - My 35" TRB-6 II is strung with 30-40-60-80-100-125 & it's still a little high on tension.

I prefer the 30 as a g-string personally - My usual 5-string sets for the Status basses are 30-50-70-90-115 Hotwires.

It'll be very interesting to see how you get on with the S1-Classic.[/quote]

Ahh, i play with 30-50-70-90-110. Its a pity they dont do a standard 110 set, cause i now have to pay custom string set prices to get the 110 instead of 115!

Any rate. I'll see how it goes. Hopefully the strings are in my letterbox now... Just have to go down there, effort!

[quote name='Shockwave' post='438460' date='Mar 18 2009, 05:00 PM']Well. I got the strings, put them on... annd i cant get on with the scale length, I am too engrained in the 34inch way of doing things. So i will be moving this on. Its a real shame as its a really really nicely constructed bass. Really deep sound.[/quote]
At the risk of sounding like teacher, you've only had the bass a short while. As the cliche says 'Rome wasn't built in a day'. When you started playing bass I'm sure it took a while to get used to the long neck and this one is only an inch longer. Give it ten minutes a day and who knows how you'll feel in a couple of months. How old does that make me sound. :)

[quote name='Shockwave' post='438460' date='Mar 18 2009, 05:00 PM']Well. I got the strings, put them on... annd i cant get on with the scale length, I am too engrained in the 34inch way of doing things. So i will be moving this on. Its a real shame as its a really really nicely constructed bass. Really deep sound.[/quote]

35" isn't for everyone Rob. I perservered for months on a Lakky DJ5 before finally giving up. The SR5 isn't as versatile but it is so muh more natural to play to me. Don't look on it as a defeat. Also the low B on the SR5 seems just as good to me as it was on the 35".

[quote name='josh3184' post='445319' date='Mar 25 2009, 07:25 PM']that would most likely be whynot![/quote]
Could have been me. I had this one up for sale on Stati a while back.
Bought it off a friend. Notice the Entwistle buzzard type markers. Although quite stunning to look at, I really went off the white body. Just not for me.

Well there's a good move. The Electro on ebay has sold for £856. Unless I'm mistaken (and correct me if I am) that was the Electro in the Gallery untill the start of the year for £750. Good call sir and well done to whoever won it.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140309539311"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=140309539311[/url]

[quote name='josh3184' post='445306' date='Mar 25 2009, 08:14 PM']I've been waiting for photos of it for ages :rolleyes:[/quote]Hi Josh, I'm waiting for my PC to be fixed, I'm using the wifes' spare at the mo.

It's not the original one that was on ebay though, as it had a small problem, so the seller, who is a brilliant guy, sent me an identical replacement, (he owns 3 the same) which was in much better condition, with an original Status flight case.
It's an amazing instrument and makes playing a joy.
But I guess you don't want to hear that. :)

Edited by steve-soar

Hi Josh, the first one was a bit tatty, dinks and lacquer cracks but I thought, for £599, well, that's fair enough.
It had heavy flats on it, B E A D, so, when I put lighter strings on, I needed to adjust the truss rod.
I put the allen key in and it just spun, as the socket at the end of the rod was too big, it appeared to have had the faces sheared slightly, the owner had never done any work to the bass before, letting his tech do so, so was unaware. When I told him, he immeadiately sent out another bass, in much better condition.
I cannot fault this fantastic response and as a result, we have become friends and keep in touch, he is a great bloke. :)