Why become a member? ×

Singers voice betrays him after first song. What would you do?

FuNkShUi

So, we've just played a 2 gig weekend.
No big deal, we have done it plenty of times before.
However this weekend was different. Our singer lost his voice after the first chorus of the first song on the first of two nights.
Playing "listen to the music" by the Doobie Brothers, and it comes to first chorus, and our singer switches to the higher harmony, so our BVs can do the easier lower part. No higher harmony to be heard. Second verse starts, and all i can hear is a strained attempt to sing, a few throat clearing noises, but still nothing that resembles a tune. We finished the song, with myself and our sax player singing as best we could.
Went to speak to the singer, and his voice had gone. Not partly gone. Not "just a little croaky". Completely gone.
We looked at each other hoping someone had a moment of inspiration. None was forthcoming.
We played 4 or 5 more songs, that our sax player could sing, then called the mid set break in a little earlier.
It was a 30th birthday party, so cancelling wasn't an option.
We were lucky that a friend of the band lived 10 minutes away from the Friday gig, so she came down and saved the day.
What would you have done? Anything like this ever happened to you?
We did play the Saturday gig, without our singer. Although it was unlike anything i have played in before!

It happens. This is why every band should have at least 1 competent backing singer who could take over. But saying that - how many singers do we know that actually look after their voices properly?

I have Vocalzone ready at all times, and failing that sweet sherry to sip (only sip!) through the set.

Or black very sweet tea. Strips the crap out of my throat. NO DAIRY! Even milk in the tea causes the mucus glands to kick in again.

We have this with our singer.

It is something that happens. Usually if he has an illness coming and his voice is pretty bad then we will cancel the gig. It can do long term damage if a singer strains his vocals really hard.

It has happened in the middle of a gig before, but he usually recovers, even if it hurts him to do so.

Manuka Honey is supposed to be really good. Couple of spoonfulls before the gig is supposed to coat the throat and help.

Happened to me one on more than one occasion. I've wanted to cancel, but the guitarists going oh, you'll manage, don't worry, it'll be ok.......... Disaster. I now have vowed that if I'm suffering with a cold, the gigs cancelled, end of story. I've seen me straining to the point that it's painful on my throat and I'm sure equally so to the punters ears!

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1418029951' post='2626024']
We have this with our singer.

It is something that happens. Usually if he has an illness coming and his voice is pretty bad then we will cancel the gig. It can do long term damage if a singer strains his vocals really hard.

It has happened in the middle of a gig before, but he usually recovers, even if it hurts him to do so.

Manuka Honey is supposed to be really good. Couple of spoonfulls before the gig is supposed to coat the throat and help.
[/quote]

Dark rum and green ginger helps too!

With no notice, it's a hard one but having a dep that you can call on makes a big difference.

We took a gig that singer pulled out of with a weeks notice. I called a friend who is a pro singer and she said she'd do the gig no problem. The drummer then pulled out saying it wouldn't work and we shouldn't do the gig. So I got a pro drummer to dep for him. The singer sent us a list of the songs she knew from our set plus a load of standards that she did. The guitarist and I got together during the week and went over the standards.

It was a smoking gig! Everyone was on their toes and if I'd been given the choice I would have continued from then on with that lineup :D

I am always amazed how many singers seem to have no regime for looking after their voice..
One of the reasons why we don't/can't do more than 2 hrs...

Talking to mate in the U.S and he says they have 5 main singers in the band and that that
equation is more important than how they play..
but then they play ridiculously long gigs.. 4x45 hrs plus 1 hr..!! You've got to love the band to do that..!!!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418031971' post='2626054']

but then they play ridiculously long gigs.. 4x45 hrs plus 1 hr..!! You've got to love the band to do that..!!!
[/quote]

I think anyone's voice would go after 45 hrs, never mind four sets of that!!!!!

YES! Luckily in Delirium all 4 of us sang. Instead of singing lead on one, I sang about 4, and our lead guitarist sang lead on most of the others and I think our drummer sang one. I also did backing vox and other harmonies on all the songs that I usually don't do. We had time to re-arrange the set to make sure we did every songs in our repertoire that had ever been sung by the remaining 3 of us, and it was really hard work. If you only had 1 singer you'd be screwed!

We've also had it where our lead guitarist lost his voice and I did all the harmonies, which I generally knew anyway. This was a lot less stressful and actually quite fun.

I think a lot of vocalists know when their voice is likely to go...
so they will have their soothing remedies, but I'd have no compunction about getting a dep
in on the date and brain-storming a set that would get us through...
Depends on the gig though.... and if it is really important, then the vox will be working on getting their
vox in shape all week..??? hopefully.

as a vocalist i know where my voice is, if i am going struggle at a gig etc.
we are an originals band, so our sets are not usually more than 45 minutes, so must times i can punch through it but just holding back on big notes etc.
i spend time warming up my vocals now more than i used to, i also have a supply of lockets, vocalzone etc with me and that serves me well.
i also make sure we don't practice the night or 2 nights before.

i have done some shows when i have been coming up to being ill which ive pushed through, but if i am ill and the voice just won't work i don't risk it...

sometimes voices just go, its the same as a volumn pot can go on your bass or your amp can just go with no warning.

if it is because of illness, then not a lot can be done short of having a dep, if its that he cant do 2 gigs in a weekend then that is more vocal conditioning that he needs to work on

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1418029661' post='2626021']
It happens. This is why every band should have at least 1 competent backing singer who could take over. But saying that - how many singers do we know that actually look after their voices properly?

I have Vocalzone ready at all times, and failing that sweet sherry to sip (only sip!) through the set.

Or black very sweet tea. Strips the crap out of my throat. NO DAIRY! Even milk in the tea causes the mucus glands to kick in again.
[/quote]

Yes we were lucky that our backing singer is competent enough to sing the songs on the Saturday nights gig as we couldnt arrange a dep.

Good tips for the singer though, ill pass them on. Thanks!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1418031839' post='2626053']
With no notice, it's a hard one but having a dep that you can call on makes a big difference.

We took a gig that singer pulled out of with a weeks notice. I called a friend who is a pro singer and she said she'd do the gig no problem. The drummer then pulled out saying it wouldn't work and we shouldn't do the gig. So I got a pro drummer to dep for him. The singer sent us a list of the songs she knew from our set plus a load of standards that she did. The guitarist and I got together during the week and went over the standards.

It was a smoking gig! Everyone was on their toes and if I'd been given the choice I would have continued from then on with that lineup :D
[/quote]

Yeh, i think getting a few deps in our phone book is the next thing for us to do!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418035731' post='2626091']
I think a lot of vocalists know when their voice is likely to go...
so they will have their soothing remedies, but I'd have no compunction about getting a dep
in on the date and brain-storming a set that would get us through...
Depends on the gig though.... and if it is really important, then the vox will be working on getting their
vox in shape all week..??? hopefully.
[/quote]

Our singers issue is he has never been in a band before. So this is all brand new to him.
We have played about 10 gigs now, and his voice is excellent.
But he has no experience. So all these remedies and potions other more experienced singers may have picked up, he has none.
He had a cold the week running up to the gig, but his voice was fine so he thought he would be fine to sing.
Hopefully next time, he will be a little more aware of how he's feeling.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1418036476' post='2626102']
if it is because of illness, then not a lot can be done short of having a dep, if its that he cant do 2 gigs in a weekend then that is more vocal conditioning that he needs to work on
[/quote]

Yeh i am trying to convince him to have a lesson. Hoping that it will be good for his technique?
He felt awful this weekend for having to stop singing, so i think he may be looking to get a lesson soon.
Fingers crossed it will help!

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1418041523' post='2626171']
Our singers issue is he has never been in a band before. So this is all brand new to him.
We have played about 10 gigs now, and his voice is excellent.
But he has no experience. So all these remedies and potions other more experienced singers may have picked up, he has none.
He had a cold the week running up to the gig, but his voice was fine so he thought he would be fine to sing.
Hopefully next time, he will be a little more aware of how he's feeling.
[/quote]

Tell him to go and find a 'good' vocal coach who can teach them to look after and prepare their voice.
This should have short term advantages but also might help preserve their voice and range much later on...

We don't have a singer :D

But its not impossible for our lead trumpet to blow herself out and need a breather (for the lip really) but she is hitting the highest of high notes regularly on her horn at max volume on at least one track, so a mid set break is required.....

[quote name='IzzyT2807' timestamp='1418047507' post='2626252']
Having a been a professional singer for 8 years, if that voice goes it goes.. simple as that. plenty of good advice on here from the guys. Just remember its not his fault. its not like he can just change a string and carry on.
[/quote]

He isnt getting any blame to be fair. The other band members are sympathetic as they could see how upset/dissapointed he was when he had to stop.
I will be passing on all tips. Anything that can help is welcomed!