Why become a member? ×

Where would wood work worse?

dincz

[size=4]When wondering whether wood would work well (well, within one's world...), we watch while wags waffle, wise words waft wayward which, without wit, waste wind whilst we wistfully wait, warmed when one witnesses wagers weaken. We won't want wars wantonly waged, would we..? [/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1418148662' post='2627403']
[size=4]When wondering whether wood would work well (well, within one's world...), we watch while wags waffle, wise words waft wayward which, without wit, waste wind whilst we wistfully wait, warmed when one witnesses wagers weaken. We won't want wars wantonly waged, would we..? [/size]
[/quote]

While witty, wilful word-wrangling wastes worthwhile wisdom.

W, wait...

I've just done a very unscientific experiment with my three basses. Stood up with them strapped on, & then lent forward so they were away from my body. Gave the E string some good tugs & put my hand on all four 'corners' of the body & the neck.

There was a clear vibration (resonance) from all five touch points - possibly slightly stronger on the necks, but really quit difficult to tell. All the bodies resonated well but interestingly the P was strongest (ash, stained), followed by the H1 (alder, nitro) & then GLJ (alder, polyester)

I'm really not sure what the above proves, if anything at all.....!!! (Other than I really need to find a worthwhile activity to make Wednesday evenings more interesting!)

Worthwhile Wednesday's work wonders when we want.... Ok, Ok, I'll stop there!!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1418118147' post='2626912']
I don't think that wanting to have an instrument that you find aesthetically pleasing makes you shallow. On the contrary it makes you a more complete human being. It's those who don't get it or don't care about looks who have something wrong with them.
[/quote]
[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1418143025' post='2627311']
Actually, a lack of aesthetics is shallow.
[/quote]

I'm confused now; am I shallow or not? I think I should be told :P[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1418246237' post='2628498']
I think BRX and myself agree that you are not shallow for daring to have 'a hint of aesthetics'.
[/quote]

:)[size=4] excellent, thanks.[/size]

[quote name='Bradwell' timestamp='1418137773' post='2627230']
Getting into the minutiae of detail - types of wood are going to affect the tone, so is the grain direction, having a nicely tight fit on the neck pocket, how the wood has been dried out, the thickness of nitrocellulose laquer, playing with sweaty palms etc.

Go based on a personal preference and general consensus - I like the feel of maple necks, not keen on rosewood, jazz profile for bass and a soft V for 6 string electrics. [b]Mahogany necks are too heavy to give a good balance on most guitars[/b] and as much as I'd love to have the time & funds to experiment with building necks from exotic woods... I don't.

[/quote] Mr Les Paul must have got it wrong somewhere!!!

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1418281695' post='2628665']
If you had 2 basses, same spec except one with a maple neck and one with rosewood neck and you swapped the necks they would sound different , but if you swapped the bodies there would be no change in sound :)
[/quote]

This^

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1418281695' post='2628665']
If you had 2 basses, same spec except one with a maple neck and one with rosewood neck and you swapped the necks they would sound different , but if you swapped the bodies there would be no change in sound :)
[/quote]

I'm sure Tom Baker used this logic to make a robot self-destruct in the 70's.