Why become a member? ×

Tort Precision Bass Scratchplate Help

Rumple

Whenever I've needed a new scrachplate in the past I've got them from the Bass Doc that way I knew it would look great, fit and be reasonably priced but with him sadly out of action I'm going to have to get a replacement tort plate from somewhere else, any thoughts peeps? it's only for a battered bitsa bass I'm putting together but it would be good to get one that looked nice, I've looked on Ebay and most look horrible, too red, two brown, too much contrast...

Furry muff :D This guy on ebay does a decent cheap plate; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCRATCH-PLATE-Pickguard-to-fit-USA-Mex-PRECISION-BASS-P-Bass-in-10-Colours-/191149735203?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2c81697d23

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1417521906' post='2621239']
Furry muff :D This guy on ebay does a decent cheap plate; [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCRATCH-PLATE-Pickguard-to-fit-USA-Mex-PRECISION-BASS-P-Bass-in-10-Colours-/191149735203?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2c81697d23"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c81697d23[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for the link, If only there was one somewhere between the brown and the red one, maybe I'm being too fussy or too tight fisted, I guess I could buy one of each and see how they look in the flesh.

I got mine here and it fits perfectly to my MIM's

http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/46-colours-Precision-Scratchplate-Pickguard/dp/B00E5ZG3OS?field_availability=-1&field_browse=1592966031&id=46+colours+Precision+Scratchplate+Pickguard&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=color_map%2Cbrandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchNodeID=1592966031&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1417549546' post='2621653']
I got mine here and it fits perfectly to my MIM's

[url="http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/46-colours-Precision-Scratchplate-Pickguard/dp/B00E5ZG3OS?field_availability=-1&field_browse=1592966031&id=46+colours+Precision+Scratchplate+Pickguard&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=color_map%2Cbrandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchNodeID=1592966031&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12"]http://www.dangleber...k&searchSize=12[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks, they are a good price but it's not easy to see what the tort looks like from the tiny pic on their web site :(

Pretty much everybody except WD Music and Spitfire has cheap printed tort though. Looking at the bevelled edge on mine from WD, you can tell it's been made by swirling a load of different colour plastics together the good old fashioned way as the pattern goes right through. It smells a bit funny too so is probably proper celluloid!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1417554285' post='2621739']
Pretty much everybody except WD Music and Spitfire has cheap printed tort though. Looking at the bevelled edge on mine from WD, you can tell it's been made by swirling a load of different colour plastics together the good old fashioned way as the pattern goes right through. It smells a bit funny too so is probably proper celluloid!
[/quote]

Both you and KiOgon have made a compelling case for the WD, maybe I'll wait and see what the bitsa bass is like once it's been put together and if it has a good vibe and is a keeper I'll invest in a WD one.

Here's my WD tort on AVRI '62 P-bass, unique pattern & smells of celluloid :) https://www.dropbox.com/s/5gqs9d7o6sopi48/2014-10-31%2018.13.58.jpg?dl=0 sorry about the flash reflection.
I've still got the original Fender guard but liked the individual pattern on the WD, mind you I didn't pay so much for it ;)

I've had one of the other patterns of the Dangleberry material and it was a print, albeit a decent quality print under a clear layer so it's not going to wear off like some printed pickguards.
Apparently EY music in Hong Kong have brown celluloid tort, but it's a thin layer under a clear surface and their red tort is printed (I read this on another forum, so I can't confirm this).

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1417649831' post='2622791']
How come the bass doc is out?
[/quote]

I read on here somewhere that Howard (Bass Doc) is quite ill and has now given up, it's a real shame and I wish him well.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1417641285' post='2622643']
I've had one of the other patterns of the Dangleberry material and it was a print, albeit a decent quality print under a clear layer so it's not going to wear off like some printed pickguards.
Apparently EY music in Hong Kong have brown celluloid tort, but it's a thin layer under a clear surface and their red tort is printed (I read this on another forum, so I can't confirm this).
[/quote]

I've just had a look at their brown tort, the pic on the web site is a bit small but it's not bad looking from what I can tell, it would be nice to see one a close up.

Another question for P Bass experts:

What is the difference between scratchplates on US, Mex and Squier's etc? is it just the position of the screw holes? I have no idea what make or model the body I've got is.

I think red can be too much... I had Sims make me one up and I wasn't sure on the colour, but they knew
what colours to stock and when put on the off-white body, it looks fantastic... whereas the red one from WD would
have looked terrible... hindsight and all that...!!.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1417681977' post='2622911']
Another question for P Bass experts:

What is the difference between scratchplates on US, Mex and Squier's etc? is it just the position of the screw holes? I have no idea what make or model the body I've got is.
[/quote]
My belief is that US ones tend to have a recess cut in the plate at the heel for adjustment whereas jap and mim ones dont.
The screw holes do tend to vary slightly

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1417687630' post='2622979']
I think red can be too much... I had Sims make me one up and I wasn't sure on the colour, but they knew
what colours to stock and when put on the off-white body, it looks fantastic... whereas the red one from WD would
have looked terrible... hindsight and all that...!!.
[/quote]

Such a tricky thing to get right, any other colour is easy :(

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1417687958' post='2622984']
My belief is that US ones tend to have a recess cut in the plate at the heel for adjustment whereas jap and mim ones dont.
The screw holes do tend to vary slightly
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I hadn't thought about truss rods! the neck I have on order has heal adjustment and the body doesn't have an access slot <_<