Why become a member? ×

Guitarist Too Quiet!

Weststarx

Why not do an 'extra' practice without the lead guitarist along, Mr Rhythm will have to step up and maybe the experience of hearing himself will be kill or cure.

Re drummers and volume, our drummer recently took to practicing with those rods - singer was pregnant didn't want to deafen the nipper! The nylon rods last longer and they definitely take the level down, nice fat sound too so they are now a permanent fixture for certain songs.

Yes, he should be able to control volume better with sticks, but the rods got him on the right track.

I actually find playing gently with (wooden) hot rods is louder than playing gently with sticks

Being able to drum quietly is very, very difficult to learn IME. I was at an acceptable and gigging standard of drumming for years - no complaints at all! But only since I learned to play quietly have I starting to think I'm getting good.

I had this problem a few years ago and i realised that the guitarist wasnt very confident and was also intimidated by some of the musicians in the band for their ability and experience.In time the guitarist started to believe in himself and he started to enjoy how his own sound was enhancing the songs we did. Although that band disbanded we still remain very good friends.
Geek99 has made a very valid point suggesting playing acoustic and see what happens...at least you've given him a fair chance.

Probably right about hot rods gently played being louder than sticks. My drumming mate is a bit of a rock beast though, and 'gentle' was tricky....
The rods sounds good, but drop the overall level compared to 'not gentle' sticks ;)

Were a bit of a revelation and because we could all drop volume, my drummer became used to the lower volume. He can now miraculously play quieter with sticks too, just made him think about it really. Much easier to get a decent mix at lower volumes.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1416825097' post='2613840']
Is your drummer too loud? Maybe the guitarist is making a stand...
[/quote]
Given that the OP's "300watt bass amp is only ever at number 1", I get the feeling that excessive drummer volume isn't the problem.

It's a pain trying to play with 2 guitarists & get them to sound good together. It can be done, but it takes a bit of work.
Might I suggest getting someone who knows a little about sound to come along & listen to you all play & let him/her have control over setting all the rigs up (or filling drums up with wadding).
Even if you don't get the individual sounds you all like, at least it would be a starting point.
Then you can tell the drummer the advantage of a lekky kit. :D

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1416866429' post='2614592']
Given that the OP's "300watt bass amp is only ever at number 1", I get the feeling that excessive drummer volume isn't the problem.
[/quote]
He fails to tell you that the 300w amp is going through 4 8x10s. :yarr:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1416827169' post='2613878']

And there you have it. There's something magic about bass/drums/guitar and in my experience it's [i]always [/i]preferable to having rhythm or keys. Especially keys... grr. Enjoy the space. If everyone's creative and on top of their game there's nothing better than a three-piece. Or a three-piece plus vocals. :)
[/quote]
This.

Well there you have it...

We had practice last night and the drummer comes in saying he's dampened his snare drum and a few other drums which reduced his volume. Mr Rhythm turns his amp up and it was the best sounding practice we've ever had!

This all happened without me saying anything to anyone! So hello band if you're on basschat!! :gas:

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1417080246' post='2616805']
We had practice last night and the drummer comes in saying he's dampened his snare drum and a few other drums which reduced his volume. Mr Rhythm turns his amp up and it was the best sounding practice we've ever had!
[/quote]

Good to hear!

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1416823590' post='2613824']
Try getting your drum not to play as loud and all come down a bit. Maybe he's right. More often than not, in my opinion, bands are too loud!
[/quote]

Indeed!

Being too loud at rehearsal also makes it near impossible to hear everything properly, and bands can think they play and sound better than they really do, covering their poor performance with sheer volume... then they say they sound crap when the volume is down a bit. Well, it was crap before too, you just could not hear it!