Why become a member? ×

Overwater Tanglewood - Sherlock Holmes Required!

DavidMcKay

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1416754179' post='2613174']
Count Bassy

I can picture the process you describe but I'd be too scared to do this myself in case I royally screwed things up.

I am basically a novice here and do not have a clue about whether the 'action' is set right for me. Aesthetically I don't like the raised neck at the body - it makes the guitar look 'wrong'. Everything else about the shape and form just flows - but not that section.

I'm now leaning towards getting things reset to standard set up and taking it from there.

David
[/quote]
Honestly you can't screw it up. You can get it wrong but (as long as the original shim is not glued in) but you wouldn't be doing anything irreversible. You don't need a luthier to put a shim in. It's not a black art, just engineering and a bit of common sense. Do it yourself and you'll get a lovely warm glow from having done it yourself.

And those saddles do look very high.

Edited by Count Bassy

What I cant understand is why it is still so high, you can see how far the neck block thing is protruding yet that action is still quite high imo, with most basses if you did the same if anything you would be running out of saddle adjustment the opposite way yet that still looks like it could go down another few mm so what was it like from new without the block?!

Filing the saddle slots right out or removing a load of metal off the underside would be my choice looking at them.

My only word of caution regarding doing anything yourself would be that the neck screws might be too long with the block removed, we dont want a "oh no my fingerboard has cracked" thread!!!! Im not suggesting you are stupid, any of us could do it in haste screwing the neck back on.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1416776277' post='2613520']
Are those saddles original? I'm getting vertigo looking at them. If they were shorter - and there's enough drop on the pickups then the short shim could work.
[/quote]

Looking at this article which features reviews of the Overwater Inspiration 5-String and the Overwater by Tanglewood Aspiration Elite 4-String, the bridge saddles look just the same, particularly so with the Aspiration's bridge http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/images/reviews/2012/075_BASS_APR12_TO4Z+OW.pdf

Oh, it's fretless! Hadn't realised until now!

Well then, a little tinkering with the nut may help. You can cut the slots a little shallower which should help.

Poor that Overwater Tanglewood don't seem to have made efforts to ensure that the bridge is flexible enough for a fretless bass and that (possibly) the nut hasn't been properly engineered.

Truckstop

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1416753212' post='2613168']
If it were me I'd remove the full pocket shim (which raises the fret board but keeps it parallel) and replace it with a much smaller shim at the bridge end of the pocket. This will alter the angle of the neck rather than just raise it, and have a much, much, greater effect than a parallel shim. Set the bridge height adjustments to around half way, fiddle with the shim depth to get the action somewhere close, and then use the bridge to fine adjust it. You'd probably find that less than 1 mm would have the desired effect. If the old shim is easily removable then this is a job you could do yourself for no cost.

I presume that the neck relief and the nut are set about right?
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1416777390' post='2613538'] Does anyone have any pictures or photos of another Aspiration Elite they could post so that we could use them as a reference? Especially one with the same wood/colour. [/quote]

Nope but follow this link to view a high res photo of my old Contemporary jazz that has the exact same bridge: https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulnattress/12225774904/sizes/o/

Hopefully seeing the position/height of that will help you.

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1416690067' post='2612732']
So how do I check the provenance via the serial number?
[/quote]
You could always email Chris May @ Overwater :)

The top wood is maple - these basses have been made in small numbers (just a few dozen) - but the spec' is due to change with the next production and we are dropping the solid top at this level of production - so your bass will be fairly unique!

All replies to 221B Baker Street please. :D

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1416856455' post='2614378']
Read my post again and look at the serial number on the box in the photo. :D
[/quote]

No comprende, chief. You've got a Tanglewood box with the same serial number on it. Is it part of a Tanglewood box collection?

Wossit all mean?
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1416856733' post='2614385']
No comprende, chief. You've got a Tanglewood box with the same serial number on it. Is it part of a Tanglewood box collection?

Wossit all mean?
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]
It's just part of my latest exhibition entitled 'Just imagine how bashed about your nice new bass guitar would have been when you received it if hadn't beed sent in a cardboard box'.

It's my attempt to show how man and the cardboard box co-exist, how we take for granted and often overlook the humble cardboard box.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1416857730' post='2614413']
It's just part of my latest exhibition entitled 'Just imagine how bashed about your nice new bass guitar would have been when you received it if hadn't beed sent in a cardboard box'.

It's my attempt to show how man and the cardboard box co-exist, how we take for granted and often overlook the humble cardboard box.
[/quote]

That's a very profound point. Here we go buying basses for £250 or £2500 or £25000 and they all ship in pretty much the same kind of cardboard box. And we don't give it a second's thought.

Big Stu

Someones got photoshop I see. Nice!

BetaFunk

This is great - being able to trace the guitar back to its original owner, but why did you keep the box for all these years and sell the guitar?!?!?!?!?

Also had Chris May reply to my email. I've to phone him tomorrow to talk through options. How cool is that! Talk through options with the man! Not sure what it will cost and whether I can afford it so I may have to sell my first born. As a parent I'd expect anyone reading this to be horrified at that. As bass players I'm sure you understand!

I'll give you an update once I've phoned Mr. May. Hopefully I can get the work done. It would be awesome to have the guitar reset by Overwater. Almost like getting it new I'm sure.

Thanks for the detective work folks. So glad I joined Basschat!

Speak soon,

David

Edited by DavidMcKay