Why become a member? ×

Overwater Tanglewood - Sherlock Holmes Required!

DavidMcKay

White Cloud

Will do - and thanks for the tips and pointers throughout the post.

I spoke to Jimmy Moon also. That way if Overwater is out of my league, or the distance presents an issue, I've got someone good closer to home. Still want to guitar to go back to it's maker though! Even if it means driving to and from Carlisle.Not too far from Glasgow in the greater scheme of things.

Cheers,

David

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1416949975' post='2615476']
This is great - being able to trace the guitar back to its original owner, but why did you keep the box for all these years and sell the guitar?!?!?!?!?
[/quote]
I didn't. I sent the bass in it when i sold it. That was a photo i took when i sold the bass.

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1416949975' post='2615476']
Also had Chris May reply to my email.
[/quote]
He also replied to an email i sent him just after i bought the bass. This is his reply:

'The top wood is maple - these basses have been made in small numbers (just a few dozen) - but the spec' is due to change with the next production and we are dropping the solid top at this level of production - so your bass will be fairly unique!'

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1416950847' post='2615491']I spoke to Jimmy Moon also. That way if Overwater is out of my league, or the distance presents an issue, I've got someone good closer to home. Still want to guitar to go back to it's maker though! Even if it means driving to and from Carlisle.Not too far from Glasgow in the greater scheme of things.[/quote]

One of the most gorgeous basses I ever saw was a Jimmy Moon. Purple fake finish, kinda Overwater in shape with MOP crescent moons for markers. A BC-er had got it cheap off him, sold in lieu of payment IIRC.
You shouldn't go far wrong with Jimmy Moon, though last I heard he was only building acoustics in recent years.

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1416951961' post='2615521']
Right - I get it now.

You are officially the Sherlock Holmes of the post my friend!
[/quote]
Thanks!

On a serious note it was a really nice bass that i only sold because i had just bought another Fretless bass and couldn't justify to myself having three Fretless basses. :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1416953799' post='2615544']
On a serious note it was a really nice bass that i only sold because i had just bought another Fretless bass and couldn't justify to myself having three Fretless basses.
[/quote]

Is having three fretless basses always bad? :ph34r:

Popped in to see Jimmy Moon to get his thoughts on the bass.

He was of the opinion that I got a cracking deal, it is a good guitar that would play well enough for my level, and that whatever I spent to get it refined would only be negating the bargain I got. I think his exact phrase was "I don't want to see your good deal going down the swanny by your paying for work that isn't entirely necessary!"

He chased me out the shop and said to return when I had a real problem to fix. You'd think I'd be annoyed but it was actually refreshing to go into a shop/business and be told that the work wasn't required and I should keep my money in my pocket.

I also saw these guitars going new for £400 last month from Kenny's Music in Glasgow. Sods law that they are all sold but it does make me think twice about paying for work when I could get a new, unmodified bass for that price.

Christmas is coming, 2 young kids to cater for - I don't really have the luxury of putting money aside for the work as it would be in the region of £300 - and that is with a large chunk of goodwill from Overwater.

I'm going to keep the bass 'as is'. I am starting to become less bothered by the raised neck piece at the body as I get to play the guitar more and enjoy its sound and feel.

Have a good weekend folks.

David

• 4 months later...