Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

[quote name='mikeswals' timestamp='1418965197' post='2635266']
Rob still has his sixer. Probably couldn't bring himself to sell it back then. He showed off that he just had it defretted.
[/quote]

Yes I've looked into it a bit more now and after Rob's prototype someone else here on BC has one signed off in August 1994 which looks like the first production model... but apart from those it looks like mine is next in line, made as the first of a batch of three with shedua facings. So I reckon I've got the third one built... not that it really makes any difference I'm just interested in it's history :)

Can't be that many sixers around though... I did ask Paul if he knew what number my new one would be, but haven't heard back yet.

I'm already trying to justify the next one, a fretless sixer with light coloured facings and a matching headstock :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1419026345' post='2635929']
That'll be me
[attachment=178948:Wal-factory.jpg]
[/quote]

Thats the one :)

I'm assuming yours is the first standard spec model produced? Rob's one looked like a solid ash model, not the usual mahogany core with facings... What are the facings on yours?

Piece of history you own there :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='jensenmann' timestamp='1419151678' post='2636937']
I traded it for a Wal Midibass with our member Spiritchaser. IIRC Oliver sold it later on. If you want to know more you need to contact him. He´s a nice bloke anyway.
[/quote]

Thanks for the update :)

I knew Spiritchaser had had one, now I know where he got it from :)

Fretless sixers are pretty rare! several of the few that were made seem to have been fretted since leaving Wal HQ.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1414867694' post='2594215']
Making the most out of the sunshine before it disappears for the winter...

[/quote]

My goodness...that is STUNNING. I just found this thread and have spent the past two hours scouring all 18 pages. Waiting for my Wal is going to be a loooong time, but in looking at all of these shining beauties, I'm thinking of making a change to my order to get the gloss coat instead of satin on Padauk!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my, I did miss quite some great posts during the last couple months. Congratulations to everyone for the new additions!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1414867694' post='2594215']
Making the most out of the sunshine before it disappears for the winter...

[/quote]

Kev, great to see you found an MkII to your liking. It's a real beauty!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1415809872' post='2603995']
What are some of you guys favourite settings? I'm enjoying amongst others;

Neck pickup - 2 (not pulled up)
Bridge Pickup - 10 (not pulled up)
Balance - 3 notches from full neck pickup
Volume - 10 (pulled up)
[/quote]

My current favorite sound:

Bridge LFP - 7-10 (pulled up)
Neck LPF - 5-6 (not pulled up)
Balance - 2 notches towards bridge
Volume - 6 (pulled up)

Best Bass for Metal :P

[quote name='oli@bass' timestamp='1420475725' post='2649734']
My current favorite sound:

Bridge LPF - 7-10 (pulled up)
Neck LPF - 5-6 (not pulled up)
Balance - 2 notches towards bridge
Volume - 6 (pulled up)

Best Bass for Metal :P
[/quote]

I've changed mine slightly now to this

Bridge LFP - 10 (not pulled up)
Neck LPF - 2 (pulled up)
Balance - 1 notch towards bridge
Volume - 10 (not pulled up)

I also find myself playing at different points along the string for different tunes during the set... direct over neck PU is a lovely deep and smooth glassy tone and playing right over the bridge PU brings in a real cutting quack...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1418977150' post='2635324']
Yes I've looked into it a bit more now and after Rob's prototype someone else here on BC has one signed off in August 1994 which looks like the first production model... but apart from those it looks like mine is next in line, made as the first of a batch of three with shedua facings. So I reckon I've got the third one built... not that it really makes any difference I'm just interested in it's history :)

Can't be that many sixers around though... I did ask Paul if he knew what number my new one would be, but haven't heard back yet.

I'm already trying to justify the next one, a fretless sixer with light coloured facings and a matching headstock :blink:

[/quote]

Rob i found this pic in my archived Wal folder and it was a bass listed at theBassGallery one point in time. It was listed as a 94 Mk III with Ash facing...unfortunately no serial number to identify where this goes as far as the 6er timeline, but thought it would be some nice 6er eye candy!!! Anyone here might know the story about this one???

There is an old fretless Wal Pro 2E for trade - only for trade against a good five string bass - here in Sweden. Here is the link:
http://pratabas.se/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=75233

Translated by Mayhem Translate gives:
[i]Well, I love this bass but still I need a fretless with at least five strings and this has only four ...[/i]

[i]A piece of British engineering from '79, absolutely top class and with a sound you will not find elsewhere. Newly renovated by Wal themselves (incl. reshaping the fretboard, new fingerboard markers, renovation of electronics, new chrome on the neck plate etc etc). I let the cracked laquer and dents be (see picture), then they do not bother me. Unfortunately, the original case is long gone when it fell into so many pieces that it could not be saved.[/i]

[i]Not for sale but only swapping for fretless 5- or 6-string. I imagine something like the F-bass, woody and mwwaah, preferably lined fingerboard and bolt-on but it is not a requirement. Trade value around £1500-1600. Can arrange more images.[/i]

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1420478011' post='2649783']
There is an old fretless Wal Pro 2E for trade - only for trade against a good five string bass - here in Sweden. Here is the link:
[url="http://pratabas.se/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=75233"]http://pratabas.se/v...php?f=8&t=75233[/url]

[i]Well, I love this bass but still I need a fretless with at least five strings and this has only four ...[/i]

[i]A piece of British engineering from '79, absolutely top class and with a sound you will not find elsewhere. Newly renovated by Wal themselves (incl. reshaping the fretboard, new fingerboard markers, renovation of electronics, new chrome on the neck plate etc etc). I let the cracked laquer and dents be (see picture), then they do not bother me. Unfortunately, the original case is long gone when it fell into so many pieces that it could not be saved.[/i]

[i]Not for sale but only swapping for fretless 5- or 6-string. I imagine something like the F-bass, woody and mwwaah, preferably lined fingerboard and bolt-on but it is not a requirement. Trade value around £1500-1600. Can arrange more images.[/i]
[/quote]

Seems like a great deal if you have what he wants! I don't really know what the Pro 2E's go for but I would have thought anything under £2k would be a cracking deal?

There's also this one in Italy

[b][size="2"]1979 WAL PRO[/size][/b][size="2"][color=#000000][color="black"][b] BASS, First Serie & first year [/b][/color][b]Natural,[/b][b]Solid Ash body[/b][b], 1 HB pickup Active Circuit, RARE EX+[/b][/color][/size]

http://www.hendrixguitars.com/Hxbass.htm

they asking for 3.295,-EUR :o[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='kulit17' timestamp='1420477782' post='2649776']
Rob i found this pic in my archived Wal folder and it was a bass listed at theBassGallery one point in time. It was listed as a 94 Mk III with Ash facing...unfortunately no serial number to identify where this goes as far as the 6er timeline, but thought it would be some nice 6er eye candy!!! Anyone here might know the story about this one???

[/quote]

I believe this is the one that belongs to Rob Burns... the first and a prototype given to him by Pete, hence the solid ash body.

This must be the first sixer built according to the available info. I understand he has recently had it defretted.

Although it does look like it has the initials A.L. on the headstock which is throwing me a bit...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1420478011' post='2649783']
[url="http://pratabas.se/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=75233"]http://pratabas.se/v...php?f=8&t=75233[/url]

[/quote]

Love the look of that...