Why become a member? ×

Developing A Following, What IS Your Band Doing?

blue

[size=4][font=Arial]Developing A Following[/font]

[font=Arial]I think a lot of guys in working bar bands would benefit from this discussion, especially with how competitive the market is for maintaining existing business and developing new business.[/font]

[font=Arial]Ok, keep in mind this discussion will focus on the working bar band.[/font]

[font=Arial]Last night I noticed several couples I have seen at previous gigs. One couple in particular because I saw them at our gig last weekend and I saw them when I was out checking out a friends band last Sunday.[/font]
[font=Arial]My thought was we must be doing something right for these folks to follow us. When we took a break I alerted the other band members and I personally went out and introduced my self to each couple and thanked them for their support.[/font]

[font=Arial][b]How Do People Know Where Your Performing[/b][/font]

[font=Arial]For us we have a busy but well maintained web-site. as soon as your click on our web-site the first thing you see is where our next show is. We also do this for our FaceBook page. In addition we send out posters to every venue a week before each show and we have small 2''x4" flyers we leave on all tables outlining all upcoming shows.[/font]

[font=Arial][b]Are You Talking to Your Fans[/b][/font]

[font=Arial]There was a time when I did not connect with fans because I just didn't understand how important it is and how it keeps them coming back. I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't want to do that.[/font]

[font=Arial]Remember the more people at your shows, the more alcohol sales you generate and increased alcohol sales means [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=Arial]more booking ( new business and existing )[/font]

[font=Arial]What are your thoughts, comments, insights ect...[/font]

[font=Arial]Blue[/font][/size]

Edited by blue

Agree Blue. We now have a following and it amazes me that they come see us time after time, week after week. Like you though, it's been created through effort. We have got to know them, often dedicate songs by name, sing happy birthday, accepted their FB friend requests, keep the website updated and thank them at gigs over the mic for coming. This has lead to us playing their parties, weddings etc too. I always also make a point of mentioning how many regulars are there at our gigs so the bar owners recognise we are bringing a crowd which is of course healthy all around. I have even offered regulars lifts home after the show. It's an effort well worth making. Amazes me too how when speaking to these new friends, they know when and where we are playing often more accurately than me ha ha

Yep, all that but the simple fact is that the people who come to see you think you are good and entertaining enough to spend
a whole evening with you.
It always fascinates me about what makes people fans of one band or another. It could simply be that the band plays popular tunes
and they hit that nail right on the head, they may just have a lot of friends who WILL turn out to the majority of gigs or the band
may be spankingly good and even though a lot of people don't know much about music, they do recognise some sort of X factor.

The thing is, a lot of this is about throwing enough mud against the walls and some will stick. We could lambast the 'playing by numbers' bands or the bands that just
pick the set list to suit a pub audience but the bands that you have to admire are the bands that continually pull in punters. They, in the eyes of the audience, must be
doing something right.

Well the band I`m in have been playing mainly supports to bigger bands on the scene, as playing a specific genre we figured that the audience is already there. So we keep seeing the same faces at these gigs and have chatted to them about both our band, and the main headliners who we as a band want to see anyway. We`ve also sold CDs to a good many of them so they chat to us about those, their fave tracks etc.

But it`s difficult to say how many follow us specifically seeing as the larger band would probably drag the audience anyway. But seeing as promoters/venues keep booking us I think it`s fair to say we must have something.

I also think being easy to work with may have something to do with this, we have a very relaxed way of working and I`d recommend others also do this. So if a venue/promoter/named band want a support that`s easy to work with, you get the slot, then you can develop followers from there.

I agree with the suggestions that have been made above.
Me, I always look for ways to promote and advertise our music whatever the circumstance.
I try to always carry some business cards for the band and also some flyers if we have some for an up and coming gig.
As an example, I had an electrician around last year to install some lighting. I chatted to him about music the result is that he now comes to most of our gigs and usually brings some mates.
I do three different jobs and have a wide social circle and I do most of my band promotion through personal contact. I've always been happy to talk to strangers, but I know that's not the case for everyone. A lot of musicians, bass players in particular, seem to be sociopaths, which must make promoting what you're doing hard work.

I can see how an originals band could develop a following but how does a covers band achieve the same thing, especially if they are gigging every week in a smallish geographical area.

How many people really want to see the same band time and time and time again - especially if they are playing 'classic rock' covers all the time? Isn't it really just a case of playing to whatever audience happen to turn up on the night for an evening of music rather than playing to a pack of baying fans who will follow the band to every gig?

A band can create a buzz and that will fliter on thru time. Musicians can and do talk
and if the band has impressed at some point, that is the best currency as soon, enough people
will be saying the same thing and even the most insecure musician will get to hear about it...
they may even be brave enough to go out and see the band itself and see what all the 'fuss' is about.
So..the best way to get things moving is to have eneough people talking about you in a positive sense.
Self promo is fine but push that too hard and it will come back to you so all you should do in that regard,
is make sure you deliver upto the spiel...

I tend to try and make the band the best it can be...and if it is a band I can push and be proud of, then
that is all I have... and hopefully people trust and agree that I know what I'm doing..???

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1415541268' post='2601276']
I can see how an originals band could develop a following but how does a covers band achieve the same thing, especially if they are gigging every week in a smallish geographical area.

How many people really want to see the same band time and time and time again - especially if they are playing 'classic rock' covers all the time? Isn't it really just a case of playing to whatever audience happen to turn up on the night for an evening of music rather than playing to a pack of baying fans who will follow the band to every gig?
[/quote]

My band play covers. Honestly, you wouldn't believe how many people come to see us time after time. I wouldn't! We do tend to get the the audience engaged and always end up with a dance floor full. Personally, I think it's about the material (we tend to do the biggest anthems by the bands we cover) as opposed to us all being virtuoso musicians But people do have a good night so come back for more. It's ace!

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1415550367' post='2601371']
My band play covers. Honestly, you wouldn't believe how many people come to see us time after time. I wouldn't! We do tend to get the the audience engaged and always end up with a dance floor full. Personally, I think it's about the material (we tend to do the biggest anthems by the bands we cover) as opposed to us all being virtuoso musicians But people do have a good night so come back for more. It's ace!
[/quote]

Likewise when I was in a covers band. We had a following in each of the venues we played, though not many people actually followed us to other venues. But on the nights when we weren`t playing and other bands were, whenever I went along invariably the people who would come to see us weren`t there. Quite odd but hey, we had good crowds so job done.

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1415498147' post='2600989']
Agree Blue. We now have a following and it amazes me that they come see us time after time, week after week. Like you though, it's been created through effort. We have got to know them, often dedicate songs by name, sing happy birthday, accepted their FB friend requests, keep the website updated and thank them at gigs over the mic for coming. This has lead to us playing their parties, weddings etc too. I always also make a point of mentioning how many regulars are there at our gigs so the bar owners recognise we are bringing a crowd which is of course healthy all around. I have even offered regulars lifts home after the show. It's an effort well worth making. Amazes me too how when speaking to these new friends, they know when and where we are playing often more accurately than me ha ha
[/quote]

Good point BassMonkey,

I like that you acknowledge fans publicly. There are a few regulars I should actually spring for a round of drinks for.

Blue

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1415525986' post='2601071']
Well the band I`m in have been playing mainly supports to bigger bands on the scene, as playing a specific genre we figured that the audience is already there. So we keep seeing the same faces at these gigs and have chatted to them about both our band, and the main headliners who we as a band want to see anyway. We`ve also sold CDs to a good many of them so they chat to us about those, their fave tracks etc.

But it`s difficult to say how many follow us specifically seeing as the larger band would probably drag the audience anyway. But seeing as promoters/venues keep booking us I think it`s fair to say we must have something.

I also think being easy to work with may have something to do with this, we have a very relaxed way of working and I`d recommend others also do this. So if a venue/promoter/named band want a support that`s easy to work with, you get the slot, then you can develop followers from there.
[/quote]

Lozz, are you talking about typical pub/bar gigs?

Blue

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1415541268' post='2601276']
I can see how an *originals band could develop a following but how does a covers band achieve the same thing, especially if they are gigging every week in a smallish geographical area.

[/quote]

Well, it's funny. I have seen a few come out to see us on a Friday night and they also show up at our Saturday night show. These folks we consider a part of our extended musical family. We create a real friendly atmosphere at our shows and during breaks all member are out there introducing ourselves and engaging these people.

Now, we are a cover band, but we play blues/rock and no show is the same.

Blue

* The band has been together for 8 years. They started out as an originals band , but realized shortly after that in order to get paying bar gigs they would have to switch to covers and it worked.

What am I doing? Not enough. I find bigging up my band really awkward. Not because I don't think the band is great, but stemming from a fundamental lack of confidence/brass neck required for this task. I think people sense this from me and that translates into people thinking that the band isn't very good, because they expect me to be being all cocky about it.

Bloody ordering people around in their spare time - "check out our Facebook", "give us a like", "come to our gig, because we're awesome and you'll have a brilliant night", "look at this video", etc. etc. I hate doing it, because when it comes down to it I'm a shy, quiet soul. I suppose I'm in the wrong game, because the days have long gone where simply playing good music, writing good tunes and trying to carve out some kind of niche for oneself out of the densely overpopulated musical rock face is enough. You're a product, a service, a commodity to which people listen with their eyes and their smartphones. I'm out of step and out of line, to quote The Beach Boys - I just wasn't made for these times.

Never ever push Faceboo at gigs.. people will find it if the want to.
Never push our website unless people ask and we might have a card or two on us.
Contact details are there, and we get enquiries from them but word of mouth is good.

I do laugh when out with out with Muso mates.... as they are far more pushy ...
whereas I just respond if directed at me...and after my mates have done with their spiel,
they assume I am in their band as they ask just that. That is my cue to mention my band but I am
not overly fussed, tbh.
Most people who go to live music have heard of us and that is self perpetuating.
I have no interest in pushing us out there... but I'll tell my friends they ought to see
us if the band is good, and they trust that. In my current band, there is a personell change
and I disagree with it, so I will never push that line-up... I have given in my notice as well
because of it.

If I think the band is good, I have no compunction about saying so in the right circumstances...but
no one wants a bore in that regard...and if I think it is poor, or average, I'll say that as well.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415615483' post='2601935']
In my current band, there is a personell change
and I disagree with it, so I will never push that line-up... I have given in my notice as well
because of it.
[/quote]

Wow that's a shame. Must be bad to make you want to quit. I always got the impression you were pretty passionate about your band and what it does. Must credit your integrity for being prepared to back up what you feel is right. Hope something better comes your way.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1415620793' post='2601993']
Wow that's a shame. Must be bad to make you want to quit. I always got the impression you were pretty passionate about your band and what it does. Must credit your integrity for being prepared to back up what you feel is right. Hope something better comes your way.
[/quote]

It is a shame but the situation was simple. We needed to replace someone ..and that someone set a very high bar.
I wasn't prepared to downgrade the band for an easy fix..ie, just to keep playing. So now the band has to replace 3 members
instead of one, but that is their problem to deal with.

I'll be alright as I know a lot of people and I think I can get a decent unit going ... if I can't I'm stuffed :lol: :lol:
but I don't go backwards and the band will either be worth it or it wont happen.

Thanks, anyway... onwards and upwards.

I've always made sure that there is both a physical presence before and at gigs (posters, flyers etc.) and an online presence pushing the band online, be that the web site or social media through FaceBook and Twitter.

I'm a believer in the schmooze factor at gigs - keep the landlord/promoter on your side, make sure they're happy and mingle with the crowd at the interval and afterwards as much as possible - the aloof "I'm in the band" look doesn't do you favours imho

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1415630436' post='2602122']
I'm a believer in the schmooze factor at gigs - keep the landlord/promoter on your side, make sure they're happy and mingle with the crowd at the interval and afterwards as much as possible - the aloof "I'm in the band" look doesn't do you favours imho
[/quote]

Definitely, this is one area where my band excel - in my view - due to our singer/guitarist. He is the Mr Schmooze of Schmooze County, and we really benefit through his efforts. Me and the drummer are pretty sociable chaps but in comparison to him we are mere amateurs. He gets so many contacts/opportunities through doing the above.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1415614167' post='2601916']
Bloody ordering people around in their spare time - "check out our Facebook", "give us a like", "come to our gig, because we're awesome and you'll have a brilliant night", "look at this video", etc. etc. I hate doing it, because when it comes down to it I'm a shy, quiet soul. I just wasn't made for these times.
[/quote]

Actually I'm talking about mere common courtesy , For me it's just a matter of; [i]" Hi, my name is Blue, I've seen you guys at a few of our shows and just wanted to say Hi and thank you for supporting the band." [/i]

I wouldn't be into asking anyone to do anything like go to our FaceBook page or ask them to come to our next gig. Saying "Thank You" is a pretty basic message.Right?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1415630436' post='2602122']
I've always made sure that there is both a physical presence before and at gigs (posters, flyers etc.) and an online presence pushing the band online, be that the web site or social media through FaceBook and Twitter.

[/quote]

Yeah, that's what it's all about.

I come from the generation where just being the [i]"hot band"[/i] or the band with the great guitarist or drummer was enough to keep a following and maintain return business. Unfortunately that's not the way it works anymore, at least not for bands competing for bar and club business.

Blue

Edited by blue

I'm in the same camp as Neepheid. I don't feel right trying to advertise my band -which is awful since we have just started gigging and should be doing more-. I'm not a particularly popular guy mainly due to how quiet and subdued I am. I also struggle with things as simple as "my band are playing x venue on x date" without feeling like I'm being quite arrogant.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1415660773' post='2602570']
I'm in the same camp as Neepheid. I don't feel right trying to advertise my band -which is awful since we have just started gigging and should be doing more-. I'm not a particularly popular guy mainly due to how quiet and subdued I am. I also struggle with things as simple as "my band are playing x venue on x date" without feeling like I'm being quite arrogant.
[/quote]

Question for everyone. Is saying[i] "thank you"[/i], [i]"thanks for coming out to see us"[/i]. Is that advertising?

I get that saying "thank you" for some is difficult. That's another discussion.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1415655893' post='2602504']

Yeah, that's what it's all about.

I come from the generation where just being the [i]"hot band"[/i] or the band with the great guitarist or drummer was enough to keep a following and maintain return business. Unfortunately that's not the way it works anymore, at least not for bands competing for bar and club business.

Blue
[/quote]
I think that still has a part to play but these days you do have social media - facebook is a really efficient way of promoting a band at pub level (basically the only promotional tool we use) and helps you to build a relationship with the people who come to see you and therefore build up a following. It obviously doesn't hurt to chat with the punters, but that is no hardship in the vast majority of cases unless you have real issues with shyness.

The main thing is to remember to entertain your audience and differentiate yourself from other similar bands and word of mouth (backed by facebook) will do the rest. We keep the setlist pretty focussed and aim at a particular audience (hard rock) that is prepared to come out to watch live bands in pubs. Also, although the majority of our audience will know pretty much all of the songs we play we make a point of not playing the most obvious tunes. Therefore when we do a AC/DC song it isn't Whole Lots Rosie or Highway To Hell and we avoid Sweet Child of Mine when we pay GnR. Hopefully that helps to make us stand out from every other rock band that they have seen recently! Fortunately it seems to be working so far...

Edited by peteb

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1415661930' post='2602576']

Question for everyone. Is saying[i] "thank you"[/i], [i]"thanks for coming out to see us"[/i]. Is that advertising?

I get that saying "thank you" for some is difficult. That's another discussion.

Blue
[/quote]

I see saying thanks is just common courtesy but initiating a conversation is sometimes not so easy for me to do.

I was more referring to before gigs or when actually trying to advertise. One day I'll hopefully be less held back...hopefully.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1415661968' post='2602579']
I think that still has a part to play but these days you do have social media - facebook is a really efficient way of promoting a band at pub level (basically the only promotional tool we use) and helps you to build a relationship with the people who come to see you and therefore build up a following. It obviously doesn't hurt to chat with the punters, but that is no hardship in the vast majority of cases unless you have real issues with shyness.[/quote]

Some of this could be cultural differences as well as generational. And I am talking specifically about approaching fans especially those you know were really engaged in the performance ( they're easy to spot ) and saying;

[i]" Hi, my name is Blue, I play bass with the band. Hey, I saw you two move from the back up to be closer to us and you stayed for 2 sets. Just wanted say Hi, how are doing and thanks for coming out to see us."[/i]

I love doing that and making that sort of connection,learning more about our fans and people that understand and support live bar level Rock. But as you can guess, I am not *shy. :D

Blue

* Just so you know, when I was 18 or even in my early 20s I would have not had the confidence to approach anyone and initiate a conversation. At 61, what do have to lose? :D

Edited by blue