Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Developing A Following, What IS Your Band Doing?

blue

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1415662648' post='2602586']
I see saying thanks is just common courtesy but initiating a conversation is sometimes not so easy for me to do.

I was more referring to before gigs or when actually trying to advertise. One day I'll hopefully be less held back...hopefully.
[/quote]

If you stay with this, not only will you not be held back you will look forward to initiating this type of conversation.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1415662823' post='2602588']

Some of this could be cultural differences as well as generational. And I am talking specifically about approaching fans especially those you know were really engaged in the performance ( they're easy to spot ) and saying;

[i]" Hi, my name is Blue, I play bass with the band. Hey, I saw you two move from the back up to be closer to us and you stayed for 2 sets. Just wanted say Hi, how are doing and thanks for coming out to see us."[/i]

I love doing that and making that sort of connection,learning more about our fans and people that understand and support live bar level Rock. But as you can guess, I am not *shy. :D

Blue

* Just so you know, when I was 18 or even in my early 20s I would have not had the confidence to approach anyone and initiate a conversation. At 61, what do have to lose? :D
[/quote]
Surely if you are going to go on a stage and make a fool of yourself in front of complete strangers you should be able to put aside any shyness!

Most people I know who play in gigging bands are not noticeably shy (whatever age they are)...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1415663839' post='2602601']
Surely if you are going to go on a stage and make a fool of yourself in front of complete strangers you should be able to put aside any shyness!

Most people I know who play in gigging bands are not noticeably shy (whatever age they are)...
[/quote]

Good points, can't say I could argue either. :D

BTW, great pics of Rhythm Zoo on your web-site. I will share them with my band as a [i]"This is what we need"[/i] thing

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1415663839' post='2602601']
[/quote]

Doesn't work like that for me. Being on stage and off it are two completely distinct and separate things for me.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1415667797' post='2602621']
Doesn't work like that for me. Being on stage and off it are two completely distinct and separate things for me.
[/quote]

For me, I'm [i]"on"[/i] as soon as I enter the gig for load in and I stay [i]"on"[/i] until I'm in my car on the way home. When I say [i]"on"[/i] I mean I want to be as likable, sociable, polite and gregarious as possible.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1415661930' post='2602576']
Question for everyone. Is saying[i] "thank you"[/i], [i]"thanks for coming out to see us"[/i]. Is that advertising?

I get that saying "thank you" for some is difficult. That's another discussion.

Blue
[/quote]

No..I think this is great and simple thing to do...
If you are trying to create a vibe between band and audience ..then talking to them is
a good start.

But being the hot band works as well... but it isn't enough to have just one.
Every band has a hot 'someone'....

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1415663589' post='2602598']
So far, social media, web-sites, personal contact are all good tools for building a following.

[b]Good solid professional performances also important and goes without saying.[/b]

Blue
[/quote]

This is THE trump card, IMO... and if you are regarded as the best band around, then you should be
pretty much the first pick of the better gigs....

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415710118' post='2602866']
This is THE trump card, IMO... and if you are regarded as the best band around, then you should be
pretty much the first pick of the better gigs....
[/quote]

Doesn't work that way here anymore, almost the exact opposite. All the really good bands with outstanding musicians get the lower end gigs and the agency represented very marginal bands get all the great gigs.

Below is an example, Greg still plays the same bars my band plays and he blows any agency band away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVWYFHg6N8

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1415728881' post='2603167']
Doesn't work that way here anymore, almost the exact opposite. All the really good bands with outstanding musicians get the lower end gigs and the agency represented very marginal bands get all the great gigs.

Below is an example, Greg still plays the same bars my band plays and he blows any agency band away.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVWYFHg6N8"]https://www.youtube....h?v=XrVWYFHg6N8[/url]

Blue
[/quote][[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415731519' post='2603206']
Doesn't make any sense at all to me... WTF..????

Why is that..??
[/quote]

it doesn't seem fair at all but thats the entertainment industry for you, anyway many great bands can't play that well :)

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1415728881' post='2603167']

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVWYFHg6N8"]https://www.youtube....h?v=XrVWYFHg6N8[/url]

Blue
[/quote]smokin!!!!!!!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415731519' post='2603206']
Doesn't make any sense at all to me... WTF..????

Why is that..??
[/quote]

I can respond to that.

Because, your average person going to a club has very limited musical tastes. What Greg is doing will go over their heads. However, a marginal performance of a Katy Perry or Lady Ga Ga song will keep them happy.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1415749205' post='2603491']

I can respond to that.

Because, your average person going to a club has very limited musical tastes. What Greg is doing will go over their heads. However, a marginal performance of a Katy Perry or Lady Ga Ga song will keep them happy.

Blue
[/quote]

I get that to a degree and the punter is often pretty limited in what they listen to, (but then they can also surprise you as well but best
not to always assume you are educating them ) .......... but most people recognise something a bit more special.
They can't quantify it...or understand it but it registers. Some of that 'factor' maybe dressed up in flamboyant ways
but we have a local star around here who really connects to an audience...just as that same audience might be wowed by
a top class act at a major venue, so they understand that much, I find. They might not look at it in the same way as a musoc might be able
to...and some muso's would miss the point as well.... but I find that good players connect as well as they play.
That is what I call the 'X factor'

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415783722' post='2603641']
I get that to a degree and the punter is often pretty limited in what they listen to, (but then they can also surprise you as well but best
not to always assume you are educating them ) .......... but most people recognise something a bit more special.
They can't quantify it...or understand it but it registers. Some of that 'factor' maybe dressed up in flamboyant ways
but we have a local star around here who really connects to an audience...just as that same audience might be wowed by
a top class act at a major venue, so they understand that much, I find. They might not look at it in the same way as a musoc might be able
to...and some muso's would miss the point as well.... but I find that good players connect as well as they play.
That is what I call the 'X factor'
[/quote]

Here in the Milwaukee area there are only a few bars/clubs that attract the people with the more sophisticated musical taste. Most people here will not recognize the X factor you describe. I used our local hero Greg Koch as an example, he's a great player however he will only connect with those that [i]"get it"[/i] and that will not be [i]"most people"[/i]. It's a very limited group of people here that get this type of band and playing at this level.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYIkTJp6jnw"]https://www.youtube....h?v=GYIkTJp6jnw[/url]

In Milwaukee when your average group of people walk into a bar and here this type or level of musicianship they leave. Sad but true. These folks with limited musical tastes will not surprise anyone here in Milwaukee.

Don't get me wrong Greg has fans that specifically go out to see him, like me for example. But not [i]"most people"[/i] no, not here in [i]"Sweet Home Alabama "[/i] land.

Blue

Edited by blue