Why become a member? ×

RIP Acker Bilk - dies aged 85

skankdelvar

Clarinettist 'Acker' Bilk died today 02/11/14.

Older BC-ers will recall his pleasant, vibrato-laden style, the quality of which Mr Bilk ascribed to having two teeth bashed out when a child and losing half a finger in a sledging accident.

Mr Bilk's was the generation shunted aside by the Beatles and the Stones; no one would call his music 'challenging'. Yet Mr Bilk never lost his pleasant charm and enjoyed modest commercial success long after his early 1960's peak. Mr Bilk enjoyed a close association with that school of British jazzers who were the last to trouble the popular music charts with their hummable tunes.

While the mainstream of British jazz hurled itself into the abyss of self-regarding, unlistenable tripe from which it has never climbed Mr Bilk continued to fill seaside theatres and town halls around the country. Polite, cheerful and unassuming he was among the last of his kind.

Here's 'Acker' Bilk's rather lovely #1 USA hit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jzx664u5DA

I played with him on a few occasions and not only was he a great guy to work with, his 'personality' obscured a fine musical talent - a bit like Louis Armstrong who was thought of as a bit of a clown but was in fact a major jazz innovator.

A pal of mine sent him a get well card when he was undergoing therapy some time ago and he sent one back saying 'I'm undergoing radio therapy; I thought it would be a bit like Radio Bristol but I've discovered it's even worse'.

RIP Ack.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1415003047' post='2595405']
A pal of mine sent him a get well card when he was undergoing therapy some time ago and he sent one back saying 'I'm undergoing radio therapy; I thought it would be a bit like Radio Bristol but I've discovered it's even worse'.
RIP Ack.
[/quote]

Ha ha, that sounds like his humour.
RIP

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1414967974' post='2595253']
Clarinettist 'Acker' Bilk died today 02/11/14.

Older BC-ers will recall his pleasant, vibrato-laden style, the quality of which Mr Bilk ascribed to having two teeth bashed out when a child and losing half a finger in a sledging accident.

Mr Bilk's was the generation shunted aside by the Beatles and the Stones; no one would call his music 'challenging'. Yet Mr Bilk never lost his pleasant charm and enjoyed modest commercial success long after his early 1960's peak. Mr Bilk enjoyed a close association with that school of British jazzers who were the last to trouble the popular music charts with their hummable tunes.

While the mainstream of British jazz hurled itself into the abyss of self-regarding, unlistenable tripe from which it has never climbed Mr Bilk continued to fill seaside theatres and town halls around the country. Polite, cheerful and unassuming he was among the last of his kind.

Here's 'Acker' Bilk's rather lovely #1 USA hit

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jzx664u5DA[/media]
[/quote]

Well said Skank.

Another one of the old guard gone, their generation laid the foundation stones we built on

RIP and thank you Acker

My dad knew him as part of the Bristol jazz scene in the late 50s and 60s. In the early 70's we were living in Long Island and my Dad got to spend some time in New York, walking around seeing all the jazz clubs he'd read about..the first jazz he heard coming from an open door as he walked around the Big Apple was Stranger on the Shore, all the way from Pensford.