Why become a member? ×

RIP Raphael Ravenscroft (Sax Line on Baker Street)

lowdown

£27, (assuming the cheque did not bounce) would have been around the minimum MU rate at the
time for a standard three hour session (porterage and doubling on top, if a MU contract).
Those guys might have been doing three sessions a day. They wouldn't have a clue what
would be a 'hit' or not, so would take the money and run.

Regular studio/TV/film players did really well wages wise back in those days,
because there was so much of that type of work available.

I listened to a radio programme on Gerry Rafferty a while back and he said that line was originally for guitar. Someone had the idea for it to be sax and, perhaps because Raphael played it so beautifully (timing is excellent!), it stuck.

It's certainly the stand out of that track and has made it the most famous of Rafferty's work.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1414018116' post='2584997']
I listened to a radio programme on Gerry Rafferty a while back and he said that line was originally for guitar. Someone had the idea for it to be sax and, perhaps because Raphael played it so beautifully (timing is excellent!), it stuck. [/quote]

The original demo of [i]Baker Street[/i] is an extra on the 2011 remaster of City to City and a guitar plays the line.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bcXRkMs0fs"]https://www.youtube....h?v=7bcXRkMs0fs[/url]