Why become a member? ×

1978 Wal Foe Sale - 1st Production Model!

[quote name='beerdragon' post='253104' date='Aug 1 2008, 06:31 PM']Why is he calling it a Gibson?

More. [url="http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/wal_specifications.htm"]http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/wal...cifications.htm[/url][/quote]

Ha! No idea. Probably text for all guitars he posts and he forgot to change the name.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='253128' date='Aug 2 2008, 07:49 AM']Beauty clearly is in the eye of the beholder with that one - cos it's not for me![/quote]

I don't think it's for anybody at that price! Way over the top in my view, even though it is one of the very rare, early Wals..

Would you agree Mike?

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='253140' date='Aug 2 2008, 08:59 AM']I don't think it's for anybody at that price! Way over the top in my view, even though it is one of the very rare, early Wals..

Would you agree Mike?[/quote]

I don't know a huge amount about Wals but given the prices that bog-standard off the shelf Wals are going for, I'd say that appears to be reasonable for a very well documented early Wal!

I'd still not buy it cos it looks fugly but Hey I like Warwicks, so there's no accounting for taste :)

i hope his spelling isn't indicative of his accuracy in describing the instrument. You'd be well screwed if it wasn't as described.

He has some cool stuff but some of the prices are a bit of a joke. $2750 for a 1980 strat?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='253223' date='Aug 2 2008, 11:21 AM']....I have to say that's the first Wal I've seen that didn't have me figuring out if there was some way to buy it and still eat.
Nothing wrong with the tooled leather pickguard or blue burst, just not the two together please....[/quote]
Not the best colour scheme, I know, but if you ever heard these JG basses you would be eating toast for the next 15 years.
I played the Alan Spenner bass about 8-9 years ago and it was the best bass sound I've yet to hear. They wanted £1000 for it but, at the time, I didn't want a 4 string (kicks himself). Pete Hurley tried to sell his on Ebay about 5 years ago and got no takers at £2000!
This is way over priced even for the first production bass, but there are collectors out there for whom this is just loose change. They just haven't cottoned on to Wal's yet.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='253297' date='Aug 2 2008, 01:49 PM']....what a mad price for such an ugly instrument, only a very serious collecter would consider spending that kinda cash surely....[/quote]
Mad price and ugly? Yes, but not in the same price league as a 1950's Fender, or as ugly as a Bongo!! If it sounds anything like JG1119 (the Alan Spenner bass) it doesn't matter what it looks like!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='253140' date='Aug 2 2008, 01:59 AM']I don't think it's for anybody at that price! Way over the top in my view, even though it is one of the very rare, early Wals..

Would you agree Mike?[/quote]

You bet, Nik! That seller has always been far overpriced! I bought the Entwistle Wal from him at the same price in 2003 -- so there ya go. He has no description on that bass -- for example, re-finished and a replaced truss rod and a electronics cleaning from Pete in 2005. There ya go -- for anyone that is interested in buying the bass. It does sound terrific. Can't help all the members that hate the color. It was originally a natural ash color.