Why become a member? ×

Help Me, I want to buy a bass! (And Now I have)

Mister_E

HELP.
I'm in a position to purchase and it's torture! :wacko:
I've seen and played a really nice MusicMan Stingray 5, all maple with black pickguard (same looks as my precision). However the price tag of circa 1400 is bit of a stumbling block for me.
Tried two waricks in the shop and just didn't like them at all, they cost even more but just didn't feel right (call me strange if you like).
Anyway - the question is... Can I get a similair instrument to the stingray 5 for less??
A S.U.B. perhaps? someone suggested a Variax Bass ("You could make it sound like any bass you want" :) ), what about yamaha, ibanez?

Whatever it is I need it to do original rock style numbers through a Hartke 3500 (I've read stuff about basses not liking amps!).

I'm so tempted to sell my soul for the MM.

Thanks for any views/suggestions you can offer.

PS. I haven't bought a bass in 10 years which is why I'm asking :wacko:

(I finally bought the musicman Stingray 5 - first one I saw - after an entire day playing other basses)

Edited by tinyviking

Well you can't go wrong with a Stingray!!
Perhaps an alternative to that might be a Fender USA Precision Deluxe, has a Humbucker in the same place.

Look around for second hand versions of both to ease that financial stumbling block

The SUBS seem to get good reviews, but i havn't tryed one, as far as i'm aware you can get Active & Passive models, the active obviously being closer to the actual Stingray Sound. I do know though that the finishes they use on the bodies can put some off!.

But whatever you decide.....stay away from the Variax!!! Please!!! haha

Si

Edited by Sibob

You probably want one of these made by [url="http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/"]Sandberg[/url]:

Cheaper and some might say more versatile than the equivalent SR5. You can ask for minor custom tweaks too if they don't involve a lot of work.

Like Funk says above, it depends on your budget, but i'd go for a SUB (or any of the above suggestions) over an OLP..........unless u can try a load, they're a bit like mexi fenders, some are great, some are godawful.

Si

Oh really, didn't know that! Maybe the SUBs weren't selling well? Oh well, at least you'll e able to pick them up even cheaper now....discontinued model and all! :-D

I use an OLP, albeit heavily modded hardware & pickups/electronics, for Drop C tuning in my band (until fender give me an endorsement....yeah right), and its wicked. But yeah, about 1 in 5 are any good. Mines got a slightly slimmer neck compared to alllll the others i tried when setting them up in the music shop i worked at.

Si

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='26385' date='Jul 3 2007, 10:36 AM']^ don't forget VAT, import duty and delivery costs when buying from overseas tho.[/quote]

yeah but with prices what they are you should still save a few quid, especially if you can pick up a used one. you'd be unlucky if you imported one and didn't get significant change from £1400

Thanks for all your posts, very useful advice.
I like the look of the Sandberg although it seems to lean towards the warick style which doesn't seem to suit me (I really don't know why!).
That Lakeland for sale also looks good but I really like to play the guitar before parting with any greens.
So, we've not mentioned any Yamahas that may be half decent then? I've seen a TRB1005 NT Natural 5 String, looks lovely but haven't played it - anyone got any views on it??
I'm thinking you may laugh but my son's yamaha trumpet was really good!
There's a couple of SUB's in the local shops I think - I'll check them out.
I've been searching for any second hand deals too but nothing has come up yet, *sigh*.
I'll be spending a day up town going round all the shops soon.
I'd prefer to spend say 600 rather than 1400 (although I really did like that MS 5 man!!)

damn damn and double Damn!- my indecision continues.

Thanks again everybody

Mate, you can definitely find a Stingray for cheaper then £1400!! Just keep looking around!
With regards to Yamaha, in my opinion you're not going to get anything close to a similar tone to a MM SR with any model, they're stuff is all well built and solid, but I'm not a fan!

Si

[quote name='tinyviking' post='26283' date='Jul 2 2007, 11:16 PM']I've seen and played a really nice MusicMan Stingray 5.................... the price tag of circa 1400 is bit of a stumbling block for me.[/quote]

I have an MM Stingray 5 for sale. I think it's called Tobacco burst. Maple neck, black pickguard, schaller strap buttons. In good condition (7/10).

Last time I was in, McCormacks in Glasgow have a discounted G&L L2500 in natural ash. Similiar vibe to the Stingray and more tones than you can shake a stick at. ANd the bass centre were doing the tribute models of the same for 400 quid (same electronics etc..made in the far east)

DJ

[quote name='tinyviking' post='26483' date='Jul 3 2007, 01:14 PM']That Lakeland for sale also looks good but I really like to play the guitar before parting with any greens.[/quote]

can you visit the guy selling the lakland? or is he too far away?

I've had a few Yamaha instruments, guitars and brass. All well built, but second hand values are dreadful. I currently have a Pacifica 812, dealers won't take it in px unless it's really cheap (like £100).

Personally I wouldn't buy another yamaha.

[quote name='martinbass7750' post='26612' date='Jul 3 2007, 05:56 PM']can you visit the guy selling the lakland? or is he too far away?[/quote]

Well the Lakeland is in Swindon, I'm in Edinburgh and he'd prefer a local sale. :)
Local could be UK but I reckon he means closer than that.
Also chrkelly is selling an MM5 silver not natural - he's in London. I don't have enough frequent flyer points or airmiles to get down to these guys and shipping guitars seems to have resulted in damaged goods according to some chatters around.

I know beggers can't be choosers but guitars on the doorstep seem more tempting! :huh:

-- ARGH - I'll add G&L to the list to check out when I visit all the shops.