Why become a member? ×

So many questions ???

kevvo66

Hi me again ,posted a thread the other day ,finely the sound I like , well yes it still is but I need more power I'm only getting maybe 140 watts with mb blackline 250 head or something like that with the purple chilli which is 300watt cab so not enough power really now I'd love to go out and buy a bigger head but due to house move soon the other half would probley kill me .all this 4 and 8 ohms is doing me head in now and giving me sleepless nights .Help,!!!

Temporary quick fix is to buy (or borrow) another 8 ohm 300W cab, if possible... that's if your Chili is 8 ohms as well, of course. It doesn't have to be a super spiffy expensive one, just something that will release the full potential of your amp (two 8 ohm cabs = 4 ohms load). Adding another cab is a good way to get louder without replacing your amp.

Edited by discreet

I think a few BCers have tried the Harley Benton BB210T cab (250 watt 8 ohm cab) and been pleasantly surprised with it for the price. Just in case you're considering another cab and can't afford to spend much...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_bb210t.htm

Def try adding a second cab, sometimes it's not wattage but speaker area I think I rem somewhere seeing the actual db raise between an amp at 250w compared to 500w isn't double the volume.

Not wanting to confuse tho, try an extra cab of similar size (speaker) to yours and see how that goes? Or just by an 810 all your volume worries gone! ;-)

Andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1412894466' post='2573193']
Def try adding a second cab, sometimes it's not wattage but speaker area I think I rem somewhere seeing the actual db raise between an amp at 250w compared to 500w isn't double the volume.

Not wanting to confuse tho, try an extra cab of similar size (speaker) to yours and see how that goes? Or just by an 810 all your volume worries gone! ;-)

Andy
[/quote]
You need 10 times the watts to get double the volume (given that you're using the same cab). More speaker area or more efficient speakers are the best way to increase DB. :)

250w into 4 ohms load is a loud as you will get from that amp, iirc.
250w, potentially, into 2 cabs is better 'volume' that 250w into a single cab, IMO.

Your amp might mot actually produce 250w..without distorting, but 250w will be pretty loud.
It might ruin your amp sound to drive the amp that hard as well... but it is the easiest way to go
in getting a volume gain.
At least a lower imperdence load will allow more volume to come out of the amp..and the 2 cabs you use
to get it will fill out louder..