Why become a member? ×

Johnny B Goode

Weststarx

[quote name='PaulKing' timestamp='1412944336' post='2573521']
No-one ever plays the bass properly, like Willie Dixon did on original
Listen to what he plays over the 5... and his 8th notes that drive the pace now and then.
And of course the thump of an upright... ;o)

That's what makes it NOT a substandard 12bar blues rock song, like what most of us churn out.
[/quote]

Yep, and listen to the way the drummer swings, too. Sadly overlooked by virtually everyone who covers it.

Incidentally, it's a great tune for palm muting. It really drives it.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1412940259' post='2573464']
I'd hate to think that what someone else assumed, was to be the criteria for what songs were played. It does not stop
U2 from playing some of their songs !!! :lol:

[/quote]
Yes but you know what I mean.
Round here, you'd get pretty short change from the audience unless you did something pretty special with it.
I can think of a few places where some would walk out...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1412961677' post='2573726']

Round here, you'd get pretty short change from the audience unless you did something pretty special with it.
[/quote]

We've only ever played it twice. On both occasions it was a request from some drunken punter but on both occasions everyone has gone absolutely nuts for it. Last time was at the Xmas staff bash for a massive retail outlet company and we had the chief executive playing air guitar on the bar.

There's already some great mentions on this thread but please give Howlin' Wolf a listen...it doesn't get much better! Somebody who's lifetime encompassed the era of Charlie Patton to the Rolling Stones, to me his music has both soul and the aggression of Rock'n' roll. It's all there, great 12 bars and classics over 1 chord, 'smokestack lightning', 'wang dang doodle'. I never tire of his music, all centred around a compelling vocal.

Edited by The fasting showman

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1412961677' post='2573726']
[/quote]

I was always lead to believe that the only people in an audience who pay attention to the bass are other musicians/bassists. ;)

They must be a very sophisticated bunch in your neck of the woods. :P[size=4] [/size]

Edited by Coilte

of course you enjoyed playing it, it's one of the great rock and roll songs, don't assume there's loads more like that out there, to paraphrase Bill Clinton, "it's all about the song stupid"
I'm not calling you stupid btw :) just trying to make the point that truly ground breaking great songs don't come around that often, as Chuck himself proved by using the same formula on dozens of his own songs

Edited by PaulWarning

I absolutely hate playing JBG! Overrated pile of 3 chord guff that bores me to tears.
I didn't mind listening to the song, but the final straw of that song was a year & a bit ago, when I was trying to start up an Acid Jazz/ Funk/ Breakbeat band & the guitard insisted on playing this piffle at every meet up!

Sorry if you like the old RnR stuff, I don't (with the exception of a couple of tracks). The majority used the same chord progression & even more used the same music, just different melody & lyrics. It's the 60s version of Jim Steinman or stock aching waterman.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1413220655' post='2576008']
I didn't mind listening to ([i]Johnny B Goode[/i]), but the final straw of that song was a year & a bit ago, when I was trying to start up an Acid Jazz/ Funk/ Breakbeat band & the guitard insisted on playing this piffle at every meet up!
[/quote]

I'd recommend reviewing your audition policy. Ask them if they can play Johnny B Goode; if they launch into an accomplished, highly polished version of The Riff give them my contact details then ask them to leave.

Once you meet someone who [i]doesn't[/i] know how to play it, hire them on the spot. That way, everything comes up roses. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1413232777' post='2576255']
I'd recommend reviewing your audition policy. Ask them if they can play Johnny B Goode; if they launch into an accomplished, highly polished version of The Riff give them my contact details then ask them to leave.

Once you meet someone who [i]doesn't[/i] know how to play it, hire them on the spot. That way, everything comes up roses. :)
[/quote]
That was another issue. Whereas he could play it, he played it like most other guitarists do... Confidently, but not polished.
If I find a guitarist who can, I'll send him your way. :)

The last band I was in, the guitarist never played it. But in an Electronica band, I wouldn't have expected him to.