Why become a member? ×

New Harley Benton metal bass

Annoying Twit

I haven't seen these before, I don't know if they're a new model.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_custom_line_clr_resobass.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...lr_resobass.htm[/url]

Thomann are definitely coming up with some interesting instruments.

There is also another Harley Benton bass that I've just seen that I am not allowed to discuss on the forum!

Edited by Annoying Twit

The body is identical to the Ozark Resonator 3516 bass (The headstock is slightly different).

I had an Ozark one and despite what a lot of people think they are no louder than most other acoustic bass guitars (i've heard wooden ones that were a lot louder). In fact as far as the Ozark goes they are disappointingly quiet.

Oh and i nearly forgot. They are heavy. Very heavy.

Edited by BetaFunk

There are a number of youtube videos of the Ozark resonator bass. I presume that the Harley Benton would be similar. The videos tell us what the instrument sounds like, but of course doesn't give us an idea of absolute volume.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpJB6a96EQA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=kpJB6a96EQA[/url]

It's certainly not a case of the often said "you can get a sound very similar to that of an upright bass."

When I first saw the HB Resonator, I briefly considered reconsidering my longterm aim to buy a Tanglewood Traveller bass. While they are very different instruments, I'd want the TT for unplugged play, and that's the function I briefly considered the resonator for. But the Tanglewood sound is just so much better from what I've heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bnQnBOj3Ek

BTW: I was disappointed by the sound of a Kala bass uke I tried, and I can't see that any of the cheaper versions of it such as the Harley Benton one would be better. The Tanglewood is larger, and sounds better as far as I've been able to ascertain from youtube videos.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1412465356' post='2569181']
There are a number of youtube videos of the Ozark resonator bass. I presume that the Harley Benton would be similar. The videos tell us what the instrument sounds like, but of course doesn't give us an idea of absolute volume.
[/quote]
The HB is identical to the Ozark so i would think it would sound the same.

When i bought my Ozark when they first came out i expected a loud sound when unplugged but instead they are surprisingly quiet. I put flats on mine and it's a really nice sound. Great for home use but you would have to use amplification elsewhere and as i said before they are very heavy. On the plus point the HB is a lot cheaper than the Ozark which was about £400.

They are fun though and the person i sold mine to really loved it.

Edited by BetaFunk

Is the unmentionable bass the RB-414CS? I may be way off the mark here, but if the trademarks of a certain litigious manufacturer only cover the body shape, headstock and truss rod cover then it may be different enough to be in the clear. There is a trade dress registration on the toaster pickup cover, but it looks like it may be US-specific. I'm still not going to link to it, just in case!

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1412520744' post='2569532'] 414 is the one I had in mind Beer. Just erring on the side of caution though so I didn't link it either. Pretty certain that certain manufacturer is aware of it but it must be kosher or it wouldn't be for sale. [/quote]

It could be kosher but the certain manufacturer might still object. But, that's a discussion for another thread.

In my opinion, I don't like the look of the certain Harley Benton bass. That doesn't mean that other people shouldn't like the look of it. The Italia Rimini 4 is, in my opinion, a much better looking semi-hollow bass inspired by a certain manufacturer.

When are Thomann going to produce a tapping instrument modelled after the Chapman stick but sold for £200?

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1412447476' post='2569046']...
There is also another Harley Benton bass that I've just seen that I am not allowed to discuss on the forum!
[/quote]

Discussion [i]is [/i]allowed; pics and links to sales are [i]not[/i]. There is even a specific thread, exactly for such discussion.