Why become a member? ×

So, I aged my bass .......

Angel

[quote name='paulears' timestamp='1412349316' post='2568130']
I'm really sorry - but I have never understood how this works? Antique dealers of it to add (illegal) extra value, because people think distressed condition equates to age, and age in an antique equates to extra value. In a guitar, unless the instrument has a history, then a good condition old guitar always outsells a wrecked one. So it's down to image? Is it cooler to play a really worn guitar? I guess it might be.

What I do note is an excellent distressing job, that looks very real - so I can appreciate the effort put in. I'd just rather play a new looking one myself.
[/quote] I went through a jazz bass stage where I bought and sold about 4-5 jazz basses trying to find one I liked. It turned out I loved the look and how they sounded on record, but not actually how I made them sound... anyway back to my point.... the basses ranged from £1000 second-hand FSR Fender, that amazing Valenti that Richardd has for sale at the moment and a few others.... the Valenti was by far the "best" of the bunch - but it was so pristine I didn't enjoy playing it. The 1975 Cimar 1905ash Jazz bass that I found for £40.... that was great fun to play and I regret moving that one on, it went to a good place to a friend as his first bass and he plays it regularly.... but still....

• 1 month later...

Nice work :)

I have a few parts I'm thinking of taking the shine off of using hydrochloric acid, I've watched a couple of videos on YouTube and it seems straight forward but I was wondering if you had any tips? I was planning on getting some patio cleaner from B&Q it's only 10% hydrochloric acid but I assume it will still do the job but take a bit longer.

I wasn't "into" relics until recently
I too think that if you don't like them, that's your choice
as it is your choice if you do like them...

I bought my Fender Roadworn Jazz a while back, from a fellow BC'er
and since then, I've really fallen for the aged / relic look
It doesn't mean your bass doesn't have a history, if it is old and doesn't have a mark on it
It's just a look some people like

Some get rather upset with others option to relic,
saying "you wouldn't go out & scratch your car up"
But choice of relic finish is just a finish option - and that's where comparison with a car should end -
I mean, would you take your shiny new bass out in the rain, through some puddles? ;)

To me, ageing / relicing a bass is fine, if that's what you want to do
- it's yours, and yours only, after all
plus, it can lend a certain feel and look to an instrument

I wouldn't do it to a vintage Fender which had no marks,
or any other mint condition or expensive instrument
But I once had a mint, expensive bass, and was absolutely gutted when someone else knocked a cymbal stand onto it! :o
Playing a reliced / roadworn bass at a gig is really, really liberating - I'm not anywhere near so precious with it
and far more relaxed about any chances of it getting bumped...

I'm really loving the Limelight basses I've seen recently

And I think you've done a really good job here
Some nice touches there - and I think you'd have a few potential buyers if you decided to sell :)

Nice job. Looks the part.

I've managed to 'relic' my P bass from new. 7 years of being clumsy, bashing into things, playing with cufflinks and chunky watch straps. I had to sand down all the chips and wear a bit as it was scratchy and uncomfotable to play otherwise.
I should put up some pics. It looks like some terrible half arsed job when it's actually all authentic :lol:

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1417439624' post='2620307']
Nice job. Looks the part.

I've managed to 'relic' my P bass from new. 7 years of being clumsy, bashing into things, playing with cufflinks and chunky watch straps. I had to sand down all the chips and wear a bit as it was scratchy and uncomfotable to play otherwise.
I should put up some pics. It looks like some terrible half arsed job when it's actually all authentic :lol:
[/quote]

Yes please Low End Bee,
Post some pics. Isn't it ironic, that your bass is actually authentically roadworn,
yet doesn't look it?
Mind you, I think it illustrates that you can't just hack away at the paint of a bass
- to get a good roadworn / reliced look, it takes a bit more thought, and some good technique

I've got a re-sprayed Squier PJ Fretless, which has some real scratches, chips & dings
I may well have a bash at doing some relicing on that....