Why become a member? ×

Castors on Cabs

joeystrange

I bought a Fender Neo 410 a few days ago. The cab comes with castors which are not yet fitted.

I was wondering what people's opinions/experiences with castors on bass cabs are.
I'm aware that fitting them will, in theory, give the cab less audible low end but, in practice, is it really that noticeable?
That said, I can't help think that there must be a reason not many bass cabs come with castors.

I like that the cab will be easier to move about but don't want to sacrifice tone.

There's a little note with them that says to remove them when the cab is in use but I'm not sure how em easy that is.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have always wondered the same thing. I have a 2x15 in a live in flightcase with wheels on the back but the 2x18 has wheels on the bottom, mainly because it has to go through doors sideways so there was nowhere else for them to go. Not sure if it loses any bottom end but my gut feeling is it does as there's less contact.

Entirely a hunch and the values opinions of far greater cabinet design brains than mine will hopefully contribute.

Many cab designers use tilt back wheels which slightly reinforces my opinion (to me) but let's see.

This may help understand...

[url="http://barefacedaudio.com/technical-information/stage-or-floor-coupling.htm"]Barefaced: An explanation of stage or floor coupling...[/url]

It's an phenomenon which can be beneficial or horrendous, depending on many factors. It is not Good or Bad. Some will want to reduce the effect, others maintain it. In general, things are more 'tameable' and regular without it.

Castors or the cab sits on it little rubber feet... can't see a whole load of difference
as it is not now completely coupled anyway.
I run cabs on one or the other. I don't find lack of bass an issue.
I suspect many bass players think they need more bass when they could do with less
especially if no FOH.

Stereo speakers (floor tower speakers) come with spikes to lock them tight with the floor. Casters are good if they are big and mounted well. Caster Update : -just put 4" casters on my new Ashdown ABM 410H. They have a total load capacity of 1,000 pounds.

Edited by grenadilla

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1412751898' post='2571543']
Won't having casters also have the same effect as putting the cab on a stand to remove any booming?
[/quote]

Only if the stand is just a few cm high and not a gramma pad wich insulates the ressonance bgoing to the floor. Casters aren't that big and they will allow for some floor coupling though not as much as having the entire bottom of the cab in contacto with the floor.

Personally i allways try to reduce the coupling on stage, it's not good for me or the band, just boom and no definition on the notes i'm playing. I use a rockstand (combo stand) to raise my cabs (even the barefaced S12T) off the floor, this gives me less boom, sound at ear height and i can use less volume on stage, for me its a win/win/win situation.