Why become a member? ×

Earplugs

Hobbayne

Been using Doc's Pro Plugs for a while when playing and attending gigs adn wouldn't play without ear plugs. Whilst they protect my hearing I do fine they muffle every thing a bit. I'm going to give the Alpine Pro Filters a go. No one else in the band is using ear plugs at all!

Edited by stuckinthepod

Can verify PaulWarnings advice, my Fiance is an audiologist, and will not let me leave without them!! High and low frequencies can go, but more likely the lows that will go with age, they are also the ones associated with hearing speech, apart from all the 'th' 'sh' and 'ts' sounds. So get the ear plugs in!! any are better than none, but I use the music safe pro ones for the record.

I use ACS Pro17s, I rarely play without them now. Occasionally, I will, but only at very low level gigs (I'm lucky enough to still do some!), but in rehearsals, jam nights etc, they go without a shadow of doubt!

Best £120 I've spent!

I would point out that although relatively expensive custom plugs are preferable, a decent set of generics are a lot better than nothing! I've used ER20s (or their equivalent) for years, and my hearing is extremely good. :)

Of course it could be even better, had I used premium plugs. But again, something is better than nothing! If you're using nothing while you save up for spiffy plugs I'd say use a cheap set meanwhile! :) Hearing loss IS cumulative, but even one or two LOUD noises can wreck your hearing very quickly!

I'd agree 100% that, in a loud environment, anything is better than nothing.

With ear plugs, the difference that a higher price brings is the quality of the sound you hear while you're saving your hearing.

IMO, if you were sky diving, deep sea diving, potholing or mountaineering you would be mad to put the price of your gear above function.

All hearing protection messes with the quality of the sound but you won't believe how much more hearing loss screws you up.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1412847037' post='2572560']
I'd agree 100% that, in a loud environment, anything is better than nothing.

[/quote]

Not sure about that. I had been using generic plugs ('he 'Xmas tree' type) for a while, in the belief that I was protecting my hearing. However, on developing tinnitus I visited the Audiologist. An internal examination of my ear canal indicated that the canal was much too narrow for the generics to provide proper protection. So unfortunately I was fooling myself with the cheap generics. No two ear canals are the same size so a '1 size fits all' approach was a risky strategy IME
Now using custom ACS and regular checks with the audiologist indicate they are doing their job, unlike the generics. Wish i could turn the clock back and done the proper thing.

Edited by leroydiamond

Again in my youth I didn't wear plugs and feel lucky to have got away with it. I have medical examinations every second year and if my hearing goes my job goes so it's plugs absolutely every time for me. I've tried various ones with various results and all I would add is that a cheap plug is better than nothing but try and spend what you can afford because it is important. A few gigs to adjust to the sensation perhaps but no big deal. Also none of my bandmates wear any, I don't preach but I don't understand them either. F**cking guitarist premadonna's, guitar changes, f*nnying about, pouting lips, combing hair, waxing eyebrows, leather trousers...not really but you all know what I mean.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1412862380' post='2572775']
:happy: We do!! And my bandmates won't wear ear protection either. Why?? They're not kids! They should know better!
[/quote]
I eventually managed to persuade my band mates to take the leap from generics to moulded plugs. Interestingly they all had their hearing checked prior to fitting and each of them had significant hearing loss. They just were not aware of it.
My audiologist reckons generics are toys and not to be bothered with.

Edited by leroydiamond