Why become a member? ×

Recommend Me A £1,000 Combo?

Hot Tub

Not just at the moment, but in the near future I'll have up to about a grand to spend on a new combo. I play mostly 5 string fingerstyle, 70s/80s rock, blues, northern soul, bit of improv, etc., and I'd like something which will recognise the fact that there's a low B there. :huh:

I'm looking at things like the EBS NeoGorm, Gallien Krueger 700RB-II/210 (possibly the NEO 1001/212), Hartke VX2510 (possibly the VX3500), etc.

Would much appreciate your thought, recommendations, and advice. :)

Aye, it's a fair bit of lolly, but I want something good quality that's going to last. There are size/transportation issues which I need to consider, although weight itself isn't too much of a problem.

stingrayfan - Thank you, that's a very kind offer. But... erm... No. :)

[quote name='Astronomer' post='250047' date='Jul 28 2008, 10:57 PM']stingrayfan - Thank you, that's a very kind offer. But... erm... No. :)[/quote]
Oh well, it was worth a try...

Joking aside, have you looked at the new Trace combos. With your budget you could easily afford one. Not heard any reviews good or bad about them, but I know they offer a lot of power for a relatively small size.

I suggest (as always) that you should consider a head and a cab instead. You could get a MarkBass bead with e.g. a used Schroeder cab for that kind of money. Better sounds, more flexible and expandable, easier to carry, pick and match cab and head for the tone you like and so on. I've got a small EBS combo that I uase for practice and tiny gigs - theyare really good but for a more "serious" gig I use separate head and cabs.

Considered MarkBass.

Light, loud, and my CMD121H handles the B on my L2500 and 70's-90's rock covers no problem. I rarely do anything with the EQ or variable filters and it sounds great

Plenty for small venues & fine for stage monitoring & into the PA for larger - that said I forgot to plug in the PA feed first set one gig and it was fine at 8-9 input, flat EQ & 8-9 output (possibly even too loud :) ) Last gig I rolled all the EQ's back to try to tame the beast!

Also within your budget, so a bit of spare for an extension 12 for bigger gigs to get full power - like you'll need it most of the time :huh:

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='250052' date='Jul 28 2008, 11:02 PM']Joking aside, have you looked at the new Trace combos. With your budget you could easily afford one. Not heard any reviews good or bad about them, but I know they offer a lot of power for a relatively small size.[/quote]

I played a gig with someone who had one of the new 2x10 Trace combos. It sounded great and looked really cool, with looks obviously being the most important factor in buying any new gear :)

Why a combo? With £1000 you could do so much better!
There is a Mesa Boogie 4x10 on Ebay right now. Get that for £300-£400 and spend the rest on an Ampeg, Markbass, Thunderfunk or GK head. That rig would crush any combo.

Wow! Many thanks for all the good advice folks :) (And cheers ped for putting it all in the right place!)

I don't "need" to spend a grand on this, but that's roughly my top whack. If I can get owt for less than that I'll be well happy.

Front runner at the moment is the GK Neo 1001/212. Downloaded the manual at work and it sounds like what I'm looking for. Will definitely look at MarkBass kit too.

Hmmmm.... need to arrange some test drives.... :huh:

And benwhiteuk was absolutely right: Looks are definitely the most important factor :huh:

The two original super-combo's were the SWR Super Redhead and the Eden Metro, and I suspect they are more than capable of holding their own against the sweeping statement that a rig would blow them away. They are both heavy as f*** though.

Lightweight alternatives include the MarkBass and EBS NeoGorm of similar power.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='250624' date='Jul 29 2008, 05:37 PM']The two original super-combo's were the SWR Super Redhead and the Eden Metro, and I suspect they are more than capable of holding their own against the sweeping statement that a rig would blow them away. They are both heavy as f*** though.

Lightweight alternatives include the MarkBass and EBS NeoGorm of similar power.[/quote]

+1 for the Markbass combos.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='250624' date='Jul 29 2008, 05:37 PM']The two original super-combo's were the SWR Super Redhead and the Eden Metro, and I suspect they are more than capable of holding their own against the sweeping statement that a rig would blow them away. They are both heavy as f*** though.[/quote]

What's that Mesa combo called? Looks pretty cool. Didn't one of our Geordie friends have one? (EDIT: That was it - Mesa Walkabout!)

If the SWR Super Redhead sounds like the Baby Blue (but louder) then it should be fantastic. The Eden Metro should also sound pretty tasty.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='ped' post='250762' date='Jul 29 2008, 08:07 PM']Mesa also did an all tube 200w 'Bass Buster' wedge shaped 2x10 combo, there is one @ The Gallery I think. Might as well smash your back up first though!![/quote]

Good call. 99ster has one that he might be looking to sell (might be worth a PM) – come to think of it, there’s a chance it might be the one in The Gallery?

still can't help but recommend the markbass cmd 102p.
I've had mine a few mumphs now & it still amazes me how something so small & light can make such a big sound.
I was looking at the GK combos also & reacon you can't go wrong there either.

Try the Markbass "Jeff Berlin" 1x15 astounding clarity and awesome volume.

I have the Gain set at 50% for the DI to PA and very rarely need to turn the master volume beyond 20%. Even when not going through the PA I have an Ashdown 1x15 that I sit under it so I can use the full 500W and move some air and very rarely need above 30% of its capability... Oh yeah and you can carry it in one hand

Edited by Monz

[quote name='bassmansky' post='250727' date='Jul 29 2008, 07:06 PM']ashdown klystron 2x10 combo![/quote]

+ 1

I love my rig but gotta say there are times I wish I had a combo for smaller gigs and rehearsing
and this looks so sweet

[url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=181"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=181[/url]