Why become a member? ×

American Standard P bass or tricked out American Special P bass

Guinness21

Now that I've decided to sell my thunderbird on, I'm going to be getting a bit of money coming my way. So naturally, rather than doing something stupid like saving it, I'm going to buy another bass. The two contenders are: the American Standard precision, and the American Special precision.

These would be the colours (Whichever i go for will have a maple fretboard, just chose that picture because the two are similar).

Obviously the american standard p bass is a great bass - love the feel of the neck, the string-thru body, the cs60's pickup. I like the olympic white/tortoise shell combo, but my fave colour is candy apple red. And mystic red is nothing in comparison.

If it was a stock american special then it would be a no-brainer, I know a lot of people think it's just filling a price-gap. I currently I play a stingray, which has a thick neck. I really like both thick and thin necks, but the american special's thin, jazz-like neck shape could make for a nice change. The pickup's ok, but was thinking of putting in the Aguilar AG 4P-60 pickup. I love the f bass vf-p, and if it's good enough for that then it's definitely good enough for this. I'd swap the bridge out for a bad-ass III. I think I'd swap out the tuners too, don't know what for yet though. And like I've already said, I love car!

Here's a video of the vf-p to give you an idea of how the pickups sound - [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDe_CBfW3-A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDe_CBfW3-A[/url]. To anyone who is a member on both, I have already put this up on talkbass. I'm just curious to see what the responses will be on here.

So there you have it - would you go for the industry standard, the benchmark by which all other p basses are judged, OR would you go for something a little different? I'd be very interested in which you'd pick and why. Thanks :D

Why bother modding the special?

Surely it would make more sense to build a high spec bitsa around an official Fender USA neck, which would give you choice on every component, or simply learn to love the mystic red finish if the USA standard pushes all the other important buttons in terms of sound and playability.

If you are in the habit of regularly changing basses, the USA standard P is the best choice.

Thanks for the response :) Well I'm not in the habit of regularly changing basses - I've only ever owned 2 basses. I couldn't live with mystic red, if I did go with the standard it'd be in olympic white.

That's a ta thought - never done that kind of thing though, how would I approach it? Would you search ebay for the right use neck, or order straight from fender?

It's not American, but you could buy yourself a Nate Mendel P which has a 'thin' P neck, and perhaps more importantly, is candy apple red.

If you were to restrict me to the two options listed I would go for the US Standard. There seems little point in buying a bass to change everything but the body and neck!

EDIT: RE your question about where to get the necks:
http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/bodies-necks-c5/necks-c585

Edited by theyellowcar

Unless you'll get a lot of joy modding the Special, just buy a Standard. I've owned both and the Special was really nice, but the Standard is better, IMO. The few tweaks make it a really nice instrument and well worth the extra bit of money. Plus, if you do want to sell it, you'll get more of your money back.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't like the nate mendel - nice neck, pickup and bridge (know it's been changed to the fender high-mass), but I HATE the slightly road worn finish (and it's actually a lot darker than car). I know it seems like I'm arguing in favour of the american special, but if I did go for it the pickup would cost £110, and the tuners (hipshot american classic HB-1) would cost £104. I was thinking of the badass III bridge but can't find anyone that stocks them, so would have to rethink that - overall that's still slightly cheaper than the am. standard.

Would you rather have the benchmark of p basses, or something that's unique to you?

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1410101472' post='2546088']

Would you rather have the benchmark of p basses, or something that's unique to you?
[/quote]

That's the question I guess isn't it? I bought the standard because it was the best P I tried. Just the way it is I found it almost perfect. I've just added flats and a bridge cover. But, if you're not going to sell kit, having the Special that you have added your own touch to would be pretty cool.

This is a toughie. I really like that M@23 about it being the best p bass you'd played. There's one thing the aguilar pickup sounding good in the f bass vf-p, and there's another spending all that money on the bass ad parts only to find it doesn't song quite the same. Maybe I go with the safe bet and get the american standard - those cs60 pickups do sound epic.

I`ve not played the Special, but the US Standards are amazing. I know many of us have basses of different neck-widths but I prefer the regular Precision size, and when I got a Stingray they were very comparable. So if you really like the neck size on the Ray, for this factor especially, I`d get the US Standard.

I played both and bought the US standard - both are nice, but IMO the quality (tone, feel, weight) on the US standard is better and worth the extra money, its all very subjective though so really you need to play both then make up your mind.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1410175651' post='2546741']
[url="http://www.stratosphereparts.com"]http://www.stratosphereparts.com[/url]

Maybe try the stratosphere and piece together your favourite bits from both models?
[/quote]

I was just about ton say think I'm going to get the am. standard until I saw this. Is it delivered as a box of bits? Do you know what the shipping's like?

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1410176542' post='2546754']

I was just about ton say think I'm going to get the am. standard until I saw this. Is it delivered as a box of bits? Do you know what the shipping's like?
[/quote]

Well I've bought 3 necks from them in the past (on separate occasions that is) and basically I've found that the shipping is reliable and the cost reasonable. I'd expect that whatever you fill your basket with would be delivered in one box but wouldn't hurt to ask. They are very good at communicating and answering queries.
You will get charged import fees/vat so whatever your grand total of parts and shipping is, expect to pay about a third again when it lands on these shores though you may well find that the total all in cost is actually cheaper than buying a new Am Standard in the UK.

Of course then you have to put it together which isn't too difficult really, but if you have to pay someone else to do it then that's another potential cost...

Another option is get the Oly White American Standard with a maple neck that fits the bill and live with it for a bit, see if you love it. If you do, just get it refinished in Candy Apple Red - you could use the white finish as the base coat to keep the cost down by rubbing the gloss back with 800 grit wet and dry to provide the key for the new colour.

Options, options, options! :-D

Edited by miles'tone