Why become a member? ×

Solutions to annoying the neighbours.. :-s

ZenBasses

I had a Vox am plug. Fell to bits.

I use my Boss Micro BR for practice now. You can play along to MP3, record rehearsals and gigs, it is a 4 track recorder so you can record ideas or full tracks, it has a built in drum machine, it has a built in mic and you can plug in a stereo mic too. Love it. Fits in the pocket too. For the money I think it is a brilliant piece of kit.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1410168603' post='2546656']
If it's just for home practice , why not get some studio monitors and plug your bass into your PC/ Mac. ?
[/quote]

That's my suggestion too.

Monitors are more focused somehow, you get a good sound at a reasonably low level, and don't disturb people.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1410177385' post='2546765']
I had a Vox am plug. Fell to bits.

I use my Boss Micro BR for practice now. You can play along to MP3, record rehearsals and gigs, it is a 4 track recorder so you can record ideas or full tracks, it has a built in drum machine, it has a built in mic and you can plug in a stereo mic too. Love it. Fits in the pocket too. For the money I think it is a brilliant piece of kit.
[/quote]

I have a BR-80.. it's an excellent bit of kit, very useful for recording ideas etc. I think I'd have to say it's the best value piece of music equipment I have ever bought.

I used to use a "pocket rock-it" micro amp that plugged straight into the bass and had a line input for my ipod. cheap as chips, which means that you don't have to skimp on your cans.
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I'm posting this on my phone and frankly, trawling through full threads is a pain in the arse.

Well it seems the Vox Amplug 2 is out of stock and new deliveries are not in till November so my impulse buy becomes something else. I have cancelled the order with GAK.

Apologies for the thread hijack but given I have some monitors with my laptop what's the best way to connect a bass into it? The monitors are connected into the headphones socket which just leaves the mic socket free..what sort of plug do I need? The mic I use for Skype looks like a stereo one do I just use a jack into my Bass terminating in a stereo mic mini jack?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1410179976' post='2546817']...what's the best way to connect a bass into it?...
[/quote]

Best simple way is a USB guitar cable. A quick Google, or eBay search will reveal lots, all inexpensive. I've used with success the Alesis one...

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alesis-Linelink-Audiolink-Series-Dual-/dp/B001T9O5V6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410184900&sr=8-1&keywords=alesis+usb+guitar+cable"]Alesis USB cable, Amazon...[/url]

...There are others, and other sources. I've upgraded since to have more recording options (mic input etc...), but for practicing through a PC, it's a doddle. As a bonus, there are many amp and Fx applications to play around with available as downloads.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1410178830' post='2546793']
Without being sarcastic, isn`t the solution the volume control on the Marshall. I only practice at the same levels as I listen to my tv.
[/quote]

Lozz, you're being far too over simplistic here. We have a BCer here who's desperate to spend cash on more clutter to fill the Man-room and you're avoiding the issue!

[i]Alternative answer:[/i]
+1 I had a Marshall MB30. It was no problem. You can play those quietly. I did.

Edit:
I also have a Vox-plug. Mine is still in one piece after 3 yrs. It does have a socket for an "aux" input. The sound isn't great, but it's ok and easy to use.

Edited by Grangur

I know it's already been suggested but a USB interface sounds like the best option to me. You can take the DI from your amp so you've got he compression/EQ etc... then just play whatever tracks you want to play along to on the laptop - you don't even need any music recording software running if you just want to play along.

I use the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - it's pretty good for the money.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1410185108' post='2546897']
Best simple way is a USB guitar cable. A quick Google, or eBay search will reveal lots, all inexpensive. I've used with success the Alesis one...

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alesis-Linelink-Audiolink-Series-Dual-/dp/B001T9O5V6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410184900&sr=8-1&keywords=alesis+usb+guitar+cable"]Alesis USB cable, Amazon...[/url]

...There are others, and other sources. I've upgraded since to have more recording options (mic input etc...), but for practicing through a PC, it's a doddle. As a bonus, there are many amp and Fx applications to play around with available as downloads.
[/quote]

Thanks, is this better than a simple jack to USB? [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eFan-USB-Guitar-to-Laptop-PC-MAC-Interface-Audio-Link-Cable-Playback-Recording-/161276615755?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item258cd5dc4b"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eFan-USB-Guitar-to-Laptop-PC-MAC-Interface-Audio-Link-Cable-Playback-Recording-/161276615755?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item258cd5dc4b[/url]

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1410205210' post='2547156']
Thanks, is this better than a simple jack to USB? [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eFan-USB-Guitar-to-Laptop-PC-MAC-Interface-Audio-Link-Cable-Playback-Recording-/161276615755?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item258cd5dc4b"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item258cd5dc4b[/url]
[/quote]

'Better' is a rather slippery term where these things are concerned. One thing I've learned over the years is that something with a good, easily available, stable driver is a Good Thing for a PC (or Mac/Linux, of course...). For the difference in price, at the time I was looking at such things, I chose the Alesis for their reputation, and the simplicity of the thing. You plug it in; you play. No 'faffing about'. Other adaptors are available, and are probably fine. Note the 'probably'. Still, for so low a price, what is there to loose..?
The other option, imo, is to decide what, exactly you think you'll be needing over the next couple of years (practising silently..? Fine. Recording your bass..? OK. Recording singing..? Why not..? Recording band practice..? Hmm. Creating 'demos'..? Well...). I'm about to acquire my 3rd interface in about a year; I should have taken the whole dose from the start but, little grasshopper that I am, I didn't know. In any case, I still use the Alesis cable for 'quick 'n easy' stuff. Make of all that what you will; hope it helps... :unsure:[size=4] [/size]

Well.. Basically I've used the equipment I've got to get round the problem with a an hour cutting down cables and making a new set of 'patch cables'

I get the fact that bass is omnidirectional and thus gets louder as sound travels outwards but I try to be considerate with levels on the Marshall at about 4..it doesn't help that my GB IV is running 18v active.. I get a more 'usable' volume from the passive yam I have.

I've made a couple of xlr leads
Dug out the old mixing desk
Made it fit
Connected the balanced output from the fafner
Fed in a 3.5mm stereo input

Job done

No money spent

I am thinking that eventually I will get some decent cables and my money is more well spent on a decent set of cans...

Edited by ZenBasses