Why become a member? ×

Any thoughts or recommendations for a 500W (ish) micro amps out there?

Raslee

[quote name='Qlank' timestamp='1409865377' post='2544218']
Looking at your amp list there's no need to tell you how good the GB gear is. I've got the Shuttle 9.2-the best amp I've ever played through. Tonyclaret is selling his 6 for a good price, check that out.
[/quote]
Yes I've seen the amps for sale. I have a Genz combo to which I've recently discovered that the head is removable. I read somewhere that the Genz Contour is basically a Shuttle minus the tube, therefore i'm probably thinking something different. I have owned the Streamliner and it was a great amp but just not for me at the time. :)

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1409874306' post='2544311']
Where are you in Devon? I'm just outside Axminster and am expecting the delivery of an MiBass this week. £209 from Andertons, You'd be welcome to come and try it out if you are local.
[/quote]
That's very kind, sadly I'm a bit of a trek away near Plymouth. I did have an Ashdown mi550 briefly, very flexible amp but i struggled to find a sound i liked (i am fickle). Perhaps the V2 models are an improvement? :)

I think i'm between GK Fusion 500, Eden WTX 500 or the Aguilar 500 at the moment...though that could change tomorrow :D

Edited by Raslee

[quote name='monsterthompson' timestamp='1409001331' post='2535471']
what sort of budget are you looking at? if you've got the funds, the TecAmp Puma comes in a nice 500w offering (@4ohms). I tend to like 4-band eq offerings (and/or parametric). i'm not sure how available things are in your area, but I like my Genz 9.0 Shuttle, so a used 6.2 might be a nice option. I've heard that the GK can get you in the tone region of Mesa amps, if that is what you are going for. i'm not a huge fan of the ToneHammer, but it will fit the 500w bill and fit in a gig bag.
[/quote]
+1 for Tec-amp

I'm looking for the exact same, started a thread on talkbass - [url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/amp-head-shoot-out.1101449/"]http://www.talkbass.com/threads/amp-head-shoot-out.1101449/[/url]

I'm looking for something with a bit of a warmer sound, the contenders are:

- The Markbass Little Mark Tube
- The GK MB Fusion 500
- The Aguilar TH500
- The Ampeg PF500

Gear4music in for stock all of them, so I'm going to have to pay them a visit.

@guinness...

This thread is good IMO on a couple of your contenders.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/gk-mb-fusion-500-vs-aguilar-th-500.957602/"]http://www.talkbass....-th-500.957602/[/url]

I personally "aim" for Portaflexy sounds with a passive P and yet a borrowed Ampeg PF left me slightly less than ecstatic.

Interesting you ruled out the TC, I agree, I gigged one at an outdoor show and it's superficially impressive but deeply synthetic to my ears.

The GK has too much top end gank for me but you're a MM player with maybe different goals, I dunno.

No experience with the Markbass but I have an Aguilar TH500 coming to me on loan - next gig is a whole month away, alas. The more I read, the more I like. I'll report back if you can wait that long.

Edited by KK Jale

Yeah, the TC has a lot of bells and whistles, but it's so misleading regarding the watts - the rh450 actually has 263. It's interesting that you say the GK has too much top end. On talkbass it was the most recommended, and I'd have thought with the tube preamp you'd have been able to reign that in. Let us know how you get on with the Aguilar.

The TH is a good little amp... it is pretty basic but it has what you need.
I don't carry it as my main amp, but I like it so far.
I would say the PF500 is ball park the same sound goal but the PF has relaibility horror stories
alluded to on this forum. Aguilar has very stealthily stolen Ampegs clothes in some respects
as Ampeg aren't the company they were in a lot of regards, IMO.
But, both, from a sound POV are nice sounding amps.
I would say they are going for old skool in that neither are toppy.

To get past the PF500 issues, look for the PF800...as they don't seem to be affected.
My feeling is that GK are too coloured..which is fine if you like that colour, and TC are synthetic
but I don't have extensive time on them.

This isn't the thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/242763-ampeg-pf500-fault-light/page__p__2542035__hl__pf500__fromsearch__1#entry2542035"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/242763-ampeg-pf500-fault-light/page__p__2542035__hl__pf500__fromsearch__1#entry2542035[/url] ...there is a much more detailed one, iirc,
but this points you to the general issue.

+1 For the Puma 900. Oodles of juice on tap. Plug and play right out of the box type of amp. A modern sounding amp but the taste control is really good at warming up the tone.
[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1410266516' post='2547623']
I thought you could get a variety of tones from the gk - from hifi to tubey? Didn't know that about the pf500, tbf I'm not sure whether to get a 500w amp head or 800w head, might be better long term to have the extra power.
[/quote]

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats Lee, they are one that was on my wish list. The only thing that concerned me was I read somewhere (so I DON'T KNOW it to be true) that all Markbass Tube amps need to be sent off to have tubes replaced.
IE, user can not replace them because they are soldered or something?
Would be great if an owner could say this is cobblers.
Then I could put one back on my thought list.

Enjoy the amp, bet it's fab.

If I might throw 2 penneth in, I'd say you've got a couple of different voices in the Fusion pre. Channel a is pretty clinical imo, if that's your bag, even as you wind it up. The valvey fun is all on the b channel and, ime of it, weights up as you wind it up, getting thicker before it starts to grit. Going all the way gives proper overdrive

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1412287616' post='2567624']
Congrats Lee, they are one that was on my wish list. The only thing that concerned me was I read somewhere (so I DON'T KNOW it to be true) that all Markbass Tube amps need to be sent off to have tubes replaced.
IE, user can not replace them because they are soldered or something?
Would be great if an owner could say this is cobblers.
Then I could put one back on my thought list.

Enjoy the amp, bet it's fab.
[/quote]
Cheers karl, Yeah i read similar regarding the tubes. But thinking about it I've never had a tube ditch out on me yet although it would have been nice to have the flexibility to change tubes should one wish to do so. I've given it a thrashing this afternoon and loved it; i've missed those VLE/VPF filters, helps me find a sound quickly and both full on for instant reggae vibes. A lot of people say you can't hear the difference between the solid state and tube setting, well i'm deaf and i could here the tube had a less sterile sound although admittedly it is subtle. Despite initially looking at 500W amps I eventually opted for the 800W to have the headroom, and a back up to my Carvin BX1500 if i use it with the reggae crew, but i'm mostly aiming to use the MB with my functions band - soul/funky stuff. Now to decide what cab, thinking either an MB NY 12" or 15" B)

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1412364557' post='2568357']
Congrats man :) When you say the tube sounded less sterile, did it make the sound warmer?
[/quote] Cheers dude, Yeah perhaps a little warmer, certainly not Genz Streamliner or Orange Terror bass territory but it added a little subtle warmth over the full solid state setting. In the solid state setting is the typical LM super clean sound, what i would consider hifi. Interestingly i hear the difference more when trying a reggae dub sound, i.e. filters full on, bass up and high's down...the tube made it fat wooly sounding and the solid state made it fat and defined...i liked both. :)

In my research getting to this point i had tried an Aguilar TH500 which was ok sounding, good mid sweep control but it didn't have a wow factor for me...although someone put a thread up about it not being a slapper's choice, i thought it sounded great for slap. Tried an Eden WTX, was ok but not the thick defined sound that i remembered Eden's to have like the WT550's, was a bit lack luster. Tried the notorious Ampeg PF500, brilliant sound, and nearly bought this but the reliability stories left me a bit too hesitant. Also tried an LM3, enjoyed this and using the filters again (have past owned an LM2) and this was the deciding factor to go with Markbass again. Would have liked to try a GK Fusion but none around here.