Why become a member? ×

Semi Hollows

blue

Does a Dean Stylist cabbie count?
[Img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/micolao/DSCI0042.jpg?t=1283877781" class="ipsImage" />

This one isn't mine though. Internet pic.

Edited by Bolo

I had a Tanglwood violin bass when I was a kid. I remember really liking it.

These days, I've a Waterstone 12 string bass that I got from the classifieds on here.
All being well, there is a full aluminium EGC bass being delivered to me in the next few weeks too.

I've always had gas for Rivolis and EB2s though. I should have bought one when they were cheap.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1408552233' post='2531308']
Really hating this thread now - was in London today so made a detour to Wunjo, and yes, they had the Guilds in stock- Korean, £795 inc hard case, play like a dream. I now need to sell some stuff and hand on to some gig money......
[/quote]

I went to Anderton's a few months back, cash in pocket, all ready to buy the Guild Starfire bass they had in. Unfortunately the shop model left a little to be desired and they took forever getting the other one for me to try that I left empty handed. :(

Still have major GAS for one though.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1408708808' post='2532783']

I went to Anderton's a few months back, cash im pocket, all ready to buy the Guild Starfire bass they had in. Unfortunatley the shop model left a little to be desired and they took forever getting the other one for me to try that I left empty handed. :(

[/quote]
I emailed Andertons several times about the Starfire but never got a straight answer until they stopped responding at all. That's another shop I won 't be using again.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1408708808' post='2532783']
I went to Anderton's a few months back, cash in pocket, all ready to buy the Guild Starfire bass they had in. Unfortunately the shop model left a little to be desired and they took forever getting the other one for me to try that I left empty handed. :(

[/quote]

Get on over to Denmark Street then - they had two out, and the one I played was lovely. You must have seen the threads about the shop - seriously nice guys and great service!

Some cracking semi-hollow basses here! :rolleyes:
Always been fond of both bass and guitar semi's; one of the very few basses I still GAS for would be a nice old Ric 4005 - technically fully hollow bodied

My current S-H squeezes - a brace of Gibson EB-2's ( '69 EB-2DC and '58 EB-2) and English-made '67 Vox Wyman bass..........

Pardon the daft question, but does the hollow body have a noticeable affect on the tone when played through an amp? I love the look of these hollowbodies, but have never played one, so just wondering whether they sound different to a solid-body with similar scale/pickups?
Obviously, the pickups in these (ideally) aren't microphones, so they can only react to the moving string and can't 'hear' the hollowness of the body, same as on a regular bass, so just wondering how all this works... :)

Edited by mickster

[quote name='mickster' timestamp='1408809417' post='2533718']
Parden the daft question, but does the hollow body have a noticeable affect on the tone when played through an amp? I love the look of these hollowbodies, but have never played one, so just wondering whether they sound different to a solid-body with similar scale/pickups?
Obviously, the pickups in these (ideally) aren't microphones, so they can only react to the moving string and can't 'hear' the hollowness of the body, same as on a regular bass, so just wondering how all this works... :)
[/quote]

With a semi-hollow the tone isn't as affected as one might think, mainly as most have a centre solid section of light-density wood to avoid the feedback problem you get when you add pickups to an acoustic instrument
However the body definitely affects the way the strings move (and therefore the amplified tone) so the tone IS more "acoustic" - warmer, more harmonics, a slower attack and faster decay (I think.....). I'd say it's far more noticeable on a guitar than a bass, but for example; my EB-2D above sounds quite different to an EB-3, which would essentially have exactly the same hardware, pickups and neck, but a solid body

Edit - the other bonus is they're generally very light weight....

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1408810169' post='2533732']
With a semi-hollow the tone isn't as affected as one might think, mainly as most have a centre solid section of light-density wood to avoid the feedback problem you get when you add pickups to an acoustic instrument
However the body definitely affects the way the strings move (and therefore the amplified tone) so the tone IS more "acoustic" - warmer, more harmonics, a slower attack and faster decay (I think.....). I'd say it's far more noticeable on a guitar than a bass, but for example; my EB-2D above sounds quite different to an EB-3, which would essentially have exactly the same hardware, pickups and neck, but a solid body

Edit - the other bonus is they're generally very light weight....
[/quote]

Makes sense, cheers! Gonna have to get on one soon to try... :gas:

I've been gassing for something a bit more traditional than my trusty BEX. I've tried out the Hagstrom Viking and Gretsch Electromatic, and been very tempted by both. Also tried the current Starfire reissue, but couldn't get on with the very narrow string spacing it had.

My first bass was a Hofner 500/3, which was ok but I preferred the Welson Violin Bass I replaced it with. The Violin bass was much nicer looking than a 500/1 complete with f holes a very nice smokey sunburst and two mini humbuckers. It sounded great.

I haven't seen one that looked anything like it since, despite much searching on t'web.

I sold it in 76 and didn't buy another bass until March 2013. All those wasted years :(

Edited by great harry

While we're talking semi-hollows, what semi (or more) bass is Nick Seymour playing in this clip?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQFuyttmbvQ"]https://www.youtube....h?v=hQFuyttmbvQ[/url]

(Note, he's only visible for a few flashes between about 2:40 and 3:15 or so).

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1409246501' post='2537962']
AT could it be this ?

[url="http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-35707--67-Harmony-H-22-Hollowbody-Vintage-Bass"]http://www.guitar-mu...dy-Vintage-Bass[/url]

If no very similar.
[/quote]

If not, a replica I would guess. Well spotted I was guessing it would probably be something in the current Epiphone range or something quite obvious.

(Goes off and googles a bit).

Definitely a Harmony H22. Look at the headstock. I wonder if it is an original one, or a reissue.

http://www.harmonyguitarsusa.com/images/H22_Bass_hires.jpg (large photo alert).

I picked up a '66 Starfire a few months ago, put some TI falts on it and it really sings. It's a very even sounding bass with a distinctive bottom end and really fun to play, very dynamic and expressive.

I also have a harmony H-22 that has a very unique sound, much more cheaply built than the Guild, and lighter and smaller.

I love them both but haven't played either ut yet.