Why become a member? ×

Herman's Hermits

blue

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1407745234' post='2523431']
Most pop/rock groups appeared on TV variety shows in the 60s and 70s . Remember the Jimi Hendrix Experience on the Lulu Show?

Thank Your Lucky Stars wasn't a variety show and was as important as Top Of The Pops, Ready Steady Go, Juke Box Jury etc at bringing pop to the teenagers of the UK.
[/quote]

Over here in the USA we had The Hollywood Palace, Ed Sullivan, Hullabaloo, Shin Dig, American Band Stand , Where the Action Is, ect.. Most of these shows aired from the mid 60s to the end of the decade.

As a kid I watched all of these national shows plus the local stuff we had. I watched very carefully, what the bands were playing, what they were wearing, what they were singing and what they were saying. I watched them in Black & White and all of them took me to a different place, a better place for that brief 30 minutes to an hour.

I think we might have picked up on the whole variety/vaudeville from the UK.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1407781538' post='2523995']
If you see Peter Noone, give him a slap for I`m Henry the Eigth I Am ;) . That was truely awful. ...
[/quote]
Not awful but just music hall or what was referred to above as vaudeville. My grandfather used to sing Henery the Eighth to me when I was a child in the 1950s - originally Harry Champion circa 1911.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1407749330' post='2523483']
... which changes nothing concerning the blandness of the band being discussed. The 'importance' of any and all these 'pop' outlets is also somewhat relative, just the same. Thanks anyway.
[/quote]
No need to thank me but thanks anyway.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1407779928' post='2523966']
In return, we got to see very little Jefferson Airplane, Spirit, Doors or Grateful Dead on the television. I therefore spent many happy years without a telly.
Happy days.
[/quote]
Who needed a television when those groups were around? In those days you could see all of those bands and a whole lot more live. Here's one teenager that didn't spend his teens sitting in front of a television.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1407779091' post='2523951']
Over here in the USA we had The Hollywood Palace, Ed Sullivan, Hullabaloo, Shin Dig, American Band Stand , Where the Action Is, ect.. Most of these shows aired from the mid 60s to the end of the decade.

As a kid I watched all of these national shows plus the local stuff we had. I watched very carefully, what the bands were playing, what they were wearing, what they were singing and what they were saying. I watched them in Black & White and all of them took me to a different place, a better place for that brief 30 minutes to an hour.

I think we might have picked up on the whole variety/vaudeville from the UK.

Blue
[/quote]
That's really interesting Blue. We didn't get any of those shows at time here in the UK and we only saw them this side of the pond in the late 70s / early 80s when VCRs became popular over here. As one of the Dave Clark Five said when they were inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame in 2008 if it wasn't for the Americans there would have been no British invasion. I know that's pretty obvious but it makes perfect sense. It interesting that so many American groups wanted to look and sound like the Brits even though the Brits got most of their inspiration from American rock and roll. I have a friend in the US that tells me he was convinced that the Beau Brummels were British for years!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1407795214' post='2524176']
That's really interesting Blue. We didn't get any of those shows at time here in the UK and we only saw them this side of the pond in the late 70s / early 80s when VCRs became popular over here. As one of the Dave Clark Five said when they were inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame in 2008 if it wasn't for the Americans there would have been no British invasion. I know that's pretty obvious but it makes perfect sense. It interesting that so many American groups wanted to look and sound like the Brits even though the Brits got most of their inspiration from American rock and roll. I have a friend in the US that tells me he was convinced that the Beau Brummels were British for years!
[/quote]

Yes any band name ending with the letters ELS made them sound British at that time. The Turtles would be another example.

Funny you mentioned The Beau Brummels, only a hard core Sly & The Family Stone fan like me would know The Beau Brummels were a San Francisco act produced by Sly Stone who actually wrote their hit "Laugh Laugh".

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1407797937' post='2524202']
Funny you mentioned The Beau Brummels, only a hard core Sly & The Family Stone fan like me would know The Beau Brummels were a San Francisco act produced by Sly Stone who actually wrote their hit "Laugh Laugh".

Blue
[/quote]
Yes Sylvester Stewart was busy on that scene at the time wasn't he? Not only working with the Beau Brummels, Mojo Men, Great Society and Autumn records and still having time to form what would become one of the best bands ever.

I've often mused about the 'accessibility' of music acts now compared with yesteryear. I'm sure many bands in the past had a bigger impact not just because of the (in some cases) very 'new' music they were playing but also because apart from occasional articles in the music or national press and later TV you wouldn't really see anything of them until you went to see a live show. That in itself gains a certain mystique. In some ways there's too much exposure now. Internet, social media etc. Half the time now if you are going to see an act in the evening you could get on youtube and find some footage of the previous night's show already posted if you were so inclined. The genie's out of the bottle and there's no going back but i wonder if youngsters now get the same 'wow' factor that audience members perceived 40, 50 or more years ago.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1407861190' post='2524792']
I've never understood why America took to Herman's Hermits like they did.
[/quote]
The reason? Peter Noone. It wasn't so much Hermans Hermits as a group but more that Peter Noone was the singer. His photo was in every teen mag (and there was a lot of them at the time) in the US.

As i said previously Hermans Hermits had more top twenty hits in the UK than in the US so we took to them as well for some reason.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1407828152' post='2524287']
Yes Sylvester Stewart was busy on that scene at the time wasn't he? Not only working with the Beau Brummels, Mojo Men, Great Society and Autumn records and still having time to form what would become one of the best bands ever.
[/quote]

During the same time period I think Sly had a decent size dance hit with Bobby Freeman [i]"The Swim".[/i]

Blue

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1407855244' post='2524694']
I've often mused about the 'accessibility' of music acts now compared with yesteryear. I'm sure many bands in the past had a bigger impact not just because of the (in some cases) very 'new' music they were playing but also because apart from occasional articles in the music or national press and later TV you wouldn't really see anything of them until you went to see a live show. That in itself gains a certain mystique. In some ways there's too much exposure now. Internet, social media etc. Half the time now if you are going to see an act in the evening you could get on youtube and find some footage of the previous night's show already posted if you were so inclined. The genie's out of the bottle and there's no going back but i wonder if youngsters now get the same 'wow' factor that audience members perceived 40, 50 or more years ago.
[/quote]

Yes back in the mid sixties even at the local level rock & roll bands were a novelty. If you had a bar with any kind of band, good or bad with electric guitars you could pack the place. There was a real scene and a hipness to being a part of it. That scene and vibe and the way we as rock musicians were looked at has been gone for decades. :(

Blue

Edited by blue