Why become a member? ×

Fancy putting a bid on this?

Snarf

From the one and only Les Claypool. For a great cause and all, but wow... what a price it's already at! Hmm!

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Les-Claypools-OFFICIAL-Pachyderm-Bass-Maple-4-String-Primus-South-Park-/321481118526?ssPageName=ADME%3AL%3ALCA%3AUS%3A1123"]http://www.ebay.com/...LCA%3AUS%3A1123[/url]

[size=4][quote]...[/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial]A [b]portion[/b] of the proceeds from the sales of these basses will go to ...[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial]...[/quote][/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial]([i]My emphasis[/i]...)[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1407239413' post='2518609']
[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial]([i]My emphasis[/i]...)[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Quite right, too. A [b]portion[/b] of my income goes to charidee - but I don't like to talk about it, of course. :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1407239413' post='2518609']
[size=4][/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial]([i]My emphasis[/i]...)[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1407239746' post='2518615']
Quite right, too. A [b]portion[/b] of my income goes to charidee - but I don't like to talk about it, of course. :mellow:
[/quote]

Reading about this earlier on another site I think some of the money is going to the charity and some of it is going directly to Claypool's nephew who has leukemia. I doubt Les Claypool is pocketing the proceeds.

He did this last year with another bass didn't he?
Either that or I've got deja vu again

Edit: 2 years ago: http://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2012/08/les-claypool-auctioning-his-personal-bass-for-charity/

Edited by chaypup

He played this for two months or so, surely doesn't command this kind of price? He has also basically said in his little piece that this bass was only used because it sounded different from his other basses, so you won't sound like primus with this?! Crazy!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1407264500' post='2519007']
He played this for two months or so, surely doesn't command this kind of price? He has also basically said in his little piece that this bass was only used because it sounded different from his other basses, so you won't sound like primus with this?! Crazy!
[/quote]

Wouldn't sound like Primus with any bass (unless you are Les) imo!

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1407270790' post='2519099']
Wouldn't sound like Primus with any bass (unless you are Les) imo!
[/quote]

Well, yes, but I am trying to look at it from a crazy fan type attitude :lol:

It puts me in mind of the auctions that Terry Wogan used to run on his Radio 2 program, raising money for Children In Need. He used to auction off some amazing 'once in a lifetime (for a working pleb) experiences but invariably, the auction would run into five figure sums, excluding all but the super wealthy. I argued, as I would in this case, if you were offered a chance to own that bass for a fiver, surely you'd have a punt, knowing the money goes to a worthy cause. 10000 punters would raise 50000 and the bass would probably end up in the hands of someone who'd appreciate it.

Chris Evans does the same thing -- his are generally car- or golf-based -- with same results, i.e. the damn things end up going for up to £100k. It just makes for annoying radio because it's so completely and totally out of reach for 99.999% of the listeners. It'd be far better run as a prize draw at a tenner a ticket. I bet they'd raise a load more cash that way. Call it 'envy' if you want -- I call it logic.

I can see both sides of the argument, but ultimately I'm sure we would all want the same result, i.e the most possible money going to help people who are very ill. I would think though, that [u]with enough publicity[/u], a prize draw maybe would indeed get more cash in the end.

Laudable charity motives set aside just for a moment, the price for this bass is all the more insane if you take a moment to consider that , as a bass player, Les doesn't really have a remarkable or particularly unique tone from any of his instruments. What is the Les Claypool sound ? Light gauge strings on any half-decent fancy woodwork boutique bass will get you very close.

Regardless, I hope they make a heap of cash from this sale.

Edited by Dingus