Why become a member? ×

Best ways to get Gigs...

Weststarx

Hello BC,

Me and my covers band are looking to get some gigs now we've got a full set ready to rock.

We've not hit the pub/club scene yet and have only played some of the rehearsal studio's organised events and festivals so we've been lucky enough to have the gigs come to us.

Whats the best method of getting gigs? Emailing? Popping in for a drink with demo CD? Open Mic nights?

Thanks!

Identify your target area (that is, how far you're all willing to travel) and blanket email all the pubs in that area. Go village by village, town by town and email everyone. Get a lemonrock profile or a little website together with some good quality recordings and photos.

If you want lots of gigs, you need to ask lots of people. A band I dep for band play anywhere within a 50mile radius of Luton so they play twice a week because they're willing to travel. Another band I dep for will only play locally so they only play once every two months with maybe a couple of extras over the summer for beer festivals and suchlike.

I wouldn't bother pressing CD's or putting together a press pack. Most pubs really don't care that much. If you're looking for more prestigious work then put together a really good quality press pack and send it to 4* hotels and nightclubs.

It's all about targeting your market properly and working out how much you want to play!

Good luck! It's all really exciting at this point isn't it?

Truckstop

Get a facebook page and stick some decent demos on you tube. Go into pubs with these ready to play and also available on CD. Try and make it look half decent. Also recommendations from fellow musos who play the particular venue can go a long way.

Bluffing is also acceptable.

Definitely get round as many jam/open mic nights you can. Nothing quite like a personal recommendation. Even if the place where you do the performance don't take you on there may be others in the audience who pay attention and go back to their local and tell their landlord they have seen such and such and they would be great for a Friday slot or whatever. If you have a web presence and put demos on try and be reasonably honest, some bands overdub and mutitrack to death to produce a super polished set of demos, then sound nothing like it in the flesh.

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1406726945' post='2514114']
Any chance I could have this too please? :)
[/quote]

Probably quicker if I just stick it online somewhere and post a link, hang on...
Edit: Oops, just noticed there may be copyright issues if I do that.

Better PM me with an email addy! :unsure:

Edited by discreet

I can only really speak for originals bands, but hands down, nothing beats meeting people face to face if possible. The guys that do bookings for regular gigs in pubs/clubs get hundreds of e-mails a week from bands with a link to their facebook who are looking for a gig.

Any time I have made the effort to meet a promotor (and it doesn't even have to be a specifically arranged meeting, go to one of their gigs) we have got a gig out of it eventually.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406727299' post='2514121']
Probably quicker if I just stick it online somewhere and post a link, hang on...
Edit: Oops, just noticed there may be copyright issues if I do that.

Better PM me with an email addy! :unsure:
[/quote]

How about me, can I have one too ...Please ?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1406744850' post='2514376']
Get 50 people to turn up...
[/quote]

That's it - all you need and all the landlord cares about in most cases.

50 people spending a tenner minimum each = £500. Band cost = £250/300. Happy Landlord and repeat bookings :-)

Go to the actual venues and check them out first, to see if you want to play there. If it looks good, introduce yourselves to the landlord/booker etc, explain you`ve come from wherever to check out their venue as you`d like to gig there. Shows willingness. You don`t have to explain you`re checking the venue/the customers out to see if you`re happy with them.

I think for bands that want to focus on gigging/live performance you have to understand what the market place, how big is it and if there is a place for your band to gig and be financially compensated.

If your not in or near a decent size metro area gigs can be tough. However ,I think there are ways to deal with the small market areas, it just takes more effort to get gigs.

Blue