Why become a member? ×

Earning a living playing covers?

Grassie

I've been doing it part time for the last two years, earning big money on the side and working full time during the week. However I'm soon to be leaving my job and doing cruise work. Got a 2 month contract in Oct, and then out to the Carribbean in Jan.

It's has been hard work, but with a good business plan you can easily make a good wage out of a function band. Weddings in the UK in the summer can bag the band at least £1500 and if you can get around 1-2 a week, or a corporate event then everything is gravy. For me it's not about the money it's the lifestyle. The money is not always fantastic, but I'd rather work for 2-3 hours a day playing music than being stuck in an office for 8 hours working for the man. I can't do that sh*t anymore.

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1406022079' post='2507500']
...I'd rather work for 2-3 hours a day playing music than being stuck in an office for 8 hours working for the man. I can't do that sh*t anymore.
[/quote]

+1 think a fair number of people on this forum would aspire to that, or something like it.

The money is not always fantastic, but I'd rather work for 2-3 hours a day playing music than being stuck in an office for 8 hours working for the man. I can't do that sh*t anymore.
[/quote]

There is something to be said for this.... I only play originals as music isn't my job so I can afford to play whatever I like, I work Seven till Five during the week and it's boring as hell... As much as I have no interest musically in covers, would I play in a function band for the same money I get in my current job? ... of course I would.

Me and Mrs C are looking at downsizing over the next couple of years and moving a bit further out of Central London... need to be less reliant on my salary then hopefully I can go part time and get involved in the music again... bit of teaching etc.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406022876' post='2507505']
+1 think a fair number of people on this forum would aspire to that, or something like it.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, as much as I think work is a necessity in life, and its healthy to have a busy work life, but man, I would love to only have to work 2-3 hours a day and get the same money!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1405706372' post='2504592']
I tend not to descrimate between the two as I think there is a decent viable band or there isn't.
But..I know far more people making, or trying to make a living, playing covers, than the other way round.

They may well be in a function band and getting £1500-2000 for a wedding and if they do that pretty regularly, they are
possibly on course for £15-20k p.a... Throw is a weeks worth of pub type money, plus a few lessons at a school...so regular and salaried,
and they are looking to be getting there.
They don't live too well tho, as if you are down on your 30 plus weddings a year, you are really going to struggle and never make that money up in the year...

On the other hand, I know of an original solo act and he has bought and paid for his house in just over 2 years... no record company backing him..
Probably the hardest working muso, I know.
[/quote]
[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1405706416' post='2504594']
I very nearly manage it, but there's no room for luxuries of any description.
[/quote]
[quote name='molan' timestamp='1405721863' post='2504816']
I have a good friend who is in a jazz covers outfit with his wife - they pull in about £100K a year. . .
[/quote]

There is a massive degree of variation here.
I don't even earn any where near these lower estimates in my regular full time job and I live perfectly happily.

Depending on where you live and how you want to live you could need as little as £200 a week all the way up to £1000.

I would take some of these peoples opinions with a pinch of salt.

2-3 hours a day playing music than being stuck in an office for 8 hours working for the man
[/quote]

I wish it was 2-3 hours..... if you want to make it pay you have to put a lot more in than that

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1406023814' post='2507521']
There is a massive degree of variation here.
I don't even earn any where near these lower estimates in my regular full time job and I live perfectly happily.

Depending on where you live and how you want to live you could need as little as £200 a week all the way up to £1000.

I would take some of these peoples opinions with a pinch of salt.
[/quote]

I don't really understand what you're saying here - the people you've quoted have stated facts about how much they know some pro musicians can earn so they aren't 'opinions'?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1406023459' post='2507516']
There is something to be said for this.... I only play originals as music isn't my job so I can afford to play whatever I like, I work Seven till Five during the week and it's boring as hell... As much as I have no interest musically in covers, would I play in a function band for the same money I get in my current job? ... of course I would.

Me and Mrs C are looking at downsizing over the next couple of years and moving a bit further out of Central London... need to be less reliant on my salary then hopefully I can go part time and get involved in the music again... bit of teaching etc.
[/quote]

Do it if you can. I'll be good for you. I'm leaving a high paying job to pursue a music career, and it feels damn refreshing. Life is exciting again and it feels great.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1406023896' post='2507523']
I wish it was 2-3 hours..... if you want to make it pay you have to put a lot more in than that
[/quote]

I know what you mean, but actual playing time. For me, gigging on a weekend is not work, it's fun. Last weekend we had an awesome wedding, stayed up all night partying with the groom and his guests, and did not sleep till 6am. That's not work, that's a lifestyle.

It's the work you put in behind the scenes that's tiring. Learning a huge rep, advertising, setting up and down e.t.c

It's a hard job in that sense, but man is it worth it. It's the old cliché isn't it. If you enjoy your job then you never have to work a day in your life.

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1406025091' post='2507545']...It's the old cliché isn't it. If you enjoy your job then you never have to work a day in your life.[/quote]

That's exactly how I led all my different careers, including playing 'covers' (variety drumming...) for a living. I can honestly say I've never 'worked' in my life. I enjoyed it all. It can be done, but it's not always the most lucrative choice, financially. :)

[size=4][quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1406025919' post='2507556']
...variety drumming...
[/quote][/size]
[size=4]Oh Dad, I bet you've got some cracking stories about the Music Hall... the greasepaint, the crowd, the women in their crinoline and bustles, the men in their shiny top hats and stiff collars...oú sont les neiges d'antan..? :D[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1406025919' post='2507556']
That's exactly how I led all my different careers, including playing 'covers' (variety drumming...) for a living. I can honestly say I've never 'worked' in my life. I enjoyed it all. It can be done, but it's not always the most lucrative choice, financially. :)
[/quote]

Kudos to you. I don't get people who try to cling on to their integrity because they 'don't wanna play peoples songs', for me that doesn't make sense. I'll play anywhere and anything if it pays the bills. It's all music and it can all be appreciated. Don't get me wrong I've got friends in pro bands and they are doing fantastically well and getting super rich, but we all go down different routes.

You're right it's not always great financially, but if someone offered me a cheque for £1mill and said stay in this office job for the rest of your life, I couldn't do it. Or do what your heart tells you, do what you want to do, enjoy life and enjoy music, but be skint. I'll take the latter.

The other route is to build up a good non-music related career, get to a good position financially, then cut back the hours once you are closer to the top of the rung and play more.

Whether that is playing for money or the sheer fun of it, whichever way, it is money.

There will obviously be a huge difference in expectations of financial rewards for playing gigs. I know plenty of good hard working bands who get paid petrol or nowt, but they play some decent festivals now, and have their own albums/EP's and a big following.

That's gotta be where it's at for me. Cash as well? Well I won't say no...

People singing along to your bands songs that you wrote? Priceless.

If you can, I strongly suggest everyone tries the DIY approach of writing your own music, booking your own gigs, getting in a van, and just touring the UK for a week playing shows every night with your closest mates. I've only done it a few times but I would highly recommend it. It's basically like a holiday but with music and meeting new people night after night. Brilliant.

Then of course you could go back to covers as well. Why not.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1406027279' post='2507573']
The other route is to build up a good non-music related career, get to a good position financially, then cut back the hours once you are closer to the top of the rung and play more.

Whether that is playing for money or the sheer fun of it, whichever way, it is money.

There will obviously be a huge difference in expectations of financial rewards for playing gigs. I know plenty of good hard working bands who get paid petrol or nowt, but they play some decent festivals now, and have their own albums/EP's and a big following.

That's gotta be where it's at for me. Cash as well? Well I won't say no...

People singing along to your bands songs that you wrote? Priceless.

If you can, I strongly suggest everyone tries the DIY approach of writing your own music, booking your own gigs, getting in a van, and just touring the UK for a week playing shows every night with your closest mates. I've only done it a few times but I would highly recommend it. It's basically like a holiday but with music and meeting new people night after night. Brilliant.

Then of course you could go back to covers as well. Why not.
[/quote]

Completely agree, I think 99% of the musicians in function bands have been through that. I gave up the original stuff a few years back, but will get back on it again. I think all musicians do, it's the dream after all.

We try and combine that lifestyle with our function band, we all go up together in a camper, party with the guests all night, then in the morning head off to the next gig or back home. We love the rock'n'roll lifestyle too much I think. I don't think I could be a pit musician because I love being on a stage.

Digressing a little, but you're right. Basically as long as you're playing then that's all good.

Edited by dand666

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406026245' post='2507559']
Oh Dad, I bet you've got some cracking stories about the Music Hall... the greasepaint, the crowd, the women in their crinoline and bustles, the men in their shiny top hats and stiff collars...oú sont les neiges d'antan..? :D
[/quote]

I'm flattered, but it was more 'berets and garlic', and so were the menfolk..! No greasepaint; does olive oil count as grease..? I suppose it does, hence my present pear shape. Great stories..? Not my speciality; I'm a poor raconteur. I tend to ramble on, rather than cut to the chase, and a fair deal of patience is required to listen patiently until the denouement. I am, however, reminded of that time in Vitre, a large(ish...) country town in the West of France, for the St Sylvestre, or New Year's Eve as it's known in the UK. A special evening for all pro musicians, where, despite the chilly ... (continued on p. 58...)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1406024929' post='2507542']

I don't really understand what you're saying here - the people you've quoted have stated facts about how much they know some pro musicians can earn so they aren't 'opinions'?
[/quote]
Well I understood it and agree with him, I know people who earn much more than me but never have any spare money because they have a much more lavish lifestyle than me. The factual examples given are meaningless without knowing their personal circumstances, a guy bumming around crashing with mates or parents that had no children and is happy as long as they have a few meals a day and a bed to sleep in is going to be able to be in a full time music job playing covers easier than a guy with four teenage children,a massive mortgage on a five bed house in London and a wife that won't leave the house without a grands worth of clothes on and drives a range rover evoque but won't work herself.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1406030943' post='2507627']
Well I understood it and agree with him, I know people who earn much more than me but never have any spare money because they have a much more lavish lifestyle than me. The factual examples given are meaningless without knowing their personal circumstances, a guy bumming around crashing with mates or parents that had no children and is happy as long as they have a few meals a day and a bed to sleep in is going to be able to be in a full time music job playing covers easier than a guy with four teenage children,a massive mortgage on a five bed house in London and a wife that won't leave the house without a grands worth of clothes on and drives a range rover evoque but won't work herself.
[/quote]

OK - maybe I'm just being too literal.

When I said "I have a good friend who is in a jazz covers outfit with his wife who earns - they pull in about £100K a year" it was a simple statement of fact and not an opinion so I didn't understand the reference.

This was a direct answer to the OP who didn't ask about lifestyles so it seemed a simple answer.

The couple in question are married with one kid, own a flat in North London (which they rent), a house in Bedford (where they live) and another house fairly nearby that they bought as an investment and also lease. They drive a Merc and live a pretty decent lifestyle that's funded by playing covers around 4-5 nights a week plus some additional income from teaching during the day.

They are very good at what they do and have built up a strong client base for weddings, corporate functions and cafe/restaurant type gigs - hence the relatively high income for a duo working as covers players :)

...a wife that won't leave the house without a grands worth of clothes on and drives a range rover evoque but won't work herself.
[/quote]

You've met the current mrs discreet, then..? :huh: That [size=4]doesn't surprise me in the least.[/size]

[/quote]

That's true.

I have a mortgage, a 14 year old car and the standard utility bills that we all generally have.
No dependants thank goodness.

The roof leaks, there's no hot water or heating, only one room has a carpet and I don't get to eat every day.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1406031609' post='2507635']
OK - maybe I'm just being too literal.

When I said "I have a good friend who is in a jazz covers outfit with his wife who earns - they pull in about £100K a year" it was a simple statement of fact and not an opinion so I didn't understand the reference.

This was a direct answer to the OP who didn't ask about lifestyles so it seemed a simple answer.

The couple in question are married with one kid, own a flat in North London (which they rent), a house in Bedford (where they live) and another house fairly nearby that they bought as an investment and also lease. They drive a Merc and live a pretty decent lifestyle that's funded by playing covers around 4-5 nights a week plus some additional income from teaching during the day.

They are very good at what they do and have built up a strong client base for weddings, corporate functions and cafe/restaurant type gigs - hence the relatively high income for a duo working as covers players :)
[/quote]

I'm in the wrong game hahah!

They seem to be earning more than a doctor/lawyer!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1406033958' post='2507674']
I'm in the wrong game hahah!

They seem to be earning more than a doctor/lawyer!
[/quote]

I know an acoustic guy who does pubs 5 days a week. All over Hampshire, West and East Sussex and Surrey. £200 a night. Easy peasy. He's awesome tho.