Why become a member? ×

Refinishing

philw

My new Squire Jaguar HB is black, but I'd quite like it to be green or maybe blue. So what's my best strategy for getting it re-finished? I'm quite capable of taking it apart and putting it back together, but I know very little about getting good solid colour paint finish to I need somebody professional to do it. Suggestions or recommendations anybody?

Phil

Terry Chapman of TJC Guitars did a very good job on a black to white Precision for me. He`s based in Stevenage which is a fair way from you, however even factoring in fuel/postage costs, I found his prices to be significanly better than anyone else I contacted (significatly so, I might add).

http://www.tjcguitars.com/

Don't mean to contradict you Lozz but last time I spoke to Terry he was reluctant to paint anything because of the fumes. Even so, he does do good work so Phil, you might still want to contact him to see if he's changed his mind...

Easy option might be to go to your nearest body/car repair shop

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1404564161' post='2493774']
Terry Chapman of TJC Guitars did a very good job on a black to white Precision for me. He`s based in Stevenage which is a fair way from you, however even factoring in fuel/postage costs, I found his prices to be significanly better than anyone else I contacted (significatly so, I might add).

[url="http://www.tjcguitars.com/"]http://www.tjcguitars.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks both.

Lozz, did the black have to be stripped off for white to work successfully?

Phil

That`s an excellent question Phil, to which I have no idea of the answer. I seem to recall him saying it would need to be, so as to get the colour right, white going on top of black not ideal but it may just be my views on how to do it making me think that.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1404745995' post='2495326']
Sims are well regarded, and even if you don't go with them you can use their pdf price list on the following page as a point of comparison:
[url="http://www.simscustom.com/html/00sprayshop.htm"]http://www.simscusto...00sprayshop.htm[/url]

Looks like it's not going to be cheap ...
[/quote]

Err, yeah, it does look expensive at Sims doesn't it. Hmmmm

P

He resprayed a nitro Precision of mine - sunburst to olympic white - but I agree, stripping poly is a pain so I wouldn't have thought it would include that.
For a squier I wouldn't strip, I'd just get done at car shop.

Yeah I'm sure stripping is a real pain. A car shop paint job looks the best bet, but of course it hadn't occurred to me be that they'd need to have the paint in stock (don't see many sort of surf green cars around). Otherwise I'd have to buy five litres of it and use a thimble-full. I need to find a friendly spray shop around Brighton.

Hmmmmm. I'm starting to wonder in my black new £149 Squire Jaguar HB was such a good idea. Maybe I'll be happy with it just with a maple fingerboard and stick at that.

P

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1404834656' post='2496216']
If you're going the car paint resprayers route I work right opposite one here in Uckfield - he's done a couple of guitars for me for and can mix the right amount of paint for the job.
[/quote]
Not a bad route IMHO. I sprayed a body. I got a price from a mate who's a sprayer - £100.

I thought "Nahhh.. I'll do it". I got the cans, Stripped the body, sanded, sprayed, sanded, sprayed, sanded......

After £50 spent in paint it looks really fine. It would have been better if it'd been done by a pro. It would have had a better shine etc and probably as quick or quicker and fewer flaws, but hey!! Where's the fun in that?

Besides, all you need is a sprayer. You don't need a luthier if you can re-assemble and set up yourself.

Don't know if this helps or not, but I painted a sunburst Columbus Jazz black using car paint and lacquer from spray cans, and it turned out beautifully. I'm one of those "if he can do it, anybody can" types, so it might be worth a go...

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1404834656' post='2496216']
If you're going the car paint resprayers route I work right opposite one here in Uckfield - he's done a couple of guitars for me for and can mix the right amount of paint for the job.
[/quote]

Any chance you could PM me a name and contact number/email for the Uckfield guy?

Ta
Phil

PS. Although I am getting very tempted by the tins of spray paint idea. I mean, what can possibly go wrong :-)

Edited by philw

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1405007313' post='2497875']

PS. Although I am getting very tempted by the tins of spray paint idea. I mean, what can possibly go wrong :-)
[/quote]
And it if does, you start again and learn from the journey

[quote name='Sambrook' timestamp='1404894778' post='2496679']
Don't know if this helps or not, but I painted a sunburst Columbus Jazz black using car paint and lacquer from spray cans, and it turned out beautifully. I'm one of those "if he can do it, anybody can" types, so it might be worth a go...
[/quote]

What he said,
I've done a few now and if you put the effort in the polishing you can get an acceptable shine.

I have done 2 body's recently and I started by sanding all the old stuff off and starting from bare wood again I have sprayed before so that helped but it is all about the preparation and then taking time to build up nice even coats and decent quality paint is a must I used Hycote car body gloss paint and it turned out awesome. After painting I left the bass for a week to cure before applying lacquer but I cant stress enough it is all in the prep and is not a job to rush good luck