Why become a member? ×

3 Drummers, 1 Bass Player

ezbass

Nice vid - thanks for posting!

Well, obviously my favourite is Yolanda Charles, but I guess you want us to pick a drummer!

The first one (on the right of the screen) is obviously the most 'technical', and I like his pingy snare sound, but he overplays a bit and sometimes trips up. The second one (in the middle) is the most solid - a bit Bonham-like in places, which is always a good thing, and he lets a bit of space into his playing - although by about halfway through I noticed that he was using the same fills and tricks as he did earlier on, so maybe a bit limited? The third one, also good - they are all good, of course - but too much cymbals for me. So overall I think I would hand it to number 2.

But Yolanda is still my favourite.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1404550597' post='2493608']

The first one (on the right of the screen) is obviously the most 'technical', and I like his pingy snare sound, but he overplays a bit and sometimes trips up. The second one (in the middle) is the most solid - a bit Bonham-like in places, which is always a good thing, and he lets a bit of space into his playing - although by about halfway through I noticed that he was using the same fills and tricks as he did earlier on, so maybe a bit limited? The third one, also good - they are all good, of course - but too much cymbals for me. So overall I think I would hand it to number 2.

[/quote]
Very much my thinking. The chap on the right reminds me of David Garibaldi with his hi-hat work. The chap on the left very solid but, as you say, too fond of the cymbals. The guy in middle I sort of missed on the first listening but 2nd time listening he is so solid, his groove @6:35 is wonderful and anyone brave enough (and good enough) to swing the Higher Ground groove gets my vote.

Those Dimension basses look rather nice, kind of a new take on the Roscoe Beck sig but with an active circuit. Definitely one to try for me if the string spacing at the bridge is 16mm(ish).

Id go for the bloke on the left (Dave Floegel...) for the tight snare work and more 'imaginative' working around the bass rhythm. Runner-up on the right, for the nicer, more clear, drum tunings. The middle man sounded dull, buried, lacking in life, despite a solid 'groove'. All fine technicians, certainly, and I'd be more than happy to be able to spit out a quarter of these folks 'chops', but as we were asked to choose...

I forgot to mention that my drummer sent me the link originally. He's always sending me good things like this, seems like the way to find even more good bass stuff is to join the drum forums :)

Dave Floegel. I liked his snap and fluidity between hands ( always a good pointer for me ) and thought he scored highest on most grooves.
He got a few wrong but his 'wrongs' were better than the other guys wrongs.
In this context, I liked the middle guy the least most of the time.

I thought McKeague was too busy...and I understand this was a showcase which almost demanded that
but some of them didn't work for me.

Maybe the kits should have been bigger as I doubt any of them would do her gig with those kits and that would rather take away a bit of
their amoury.

But..as a token exercise...good fun. I wonder which one she would choose. I'd guess Gary Cook strangely enough.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1404606439' post='2494171']
I liked them all....

Check out 3 drummers ..... and no bass this time

Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_o0nlYigVo[/media]
[/quote]

In the solo sections, 1st round to Stevie, IMO, which in that company is astounding, and then he sets up the whole barrage for the other guys..
Surprising as I din't think Gadd still had what he had 20 years ago, and that is purely an age thing and playing drums is FIT work.
You can't expect someone at 60 plus... to play with the energy and whatever else as someone 20 years younger...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1404639969' post='2494282']
But..as a token exercise...good fun.
[/quote]And rather the point of it all really IMO. They're all good, really good, and I'd be happy to play next to any of them (and try to keep up). The real winner here is Guru whose drums seem amazing, check out their video of Dave McKeague and Aaron Graham demoing the kits; they sound lovely.

I have played with some name drummers and they tend to vary quite a lot in what they can do..IMO.. but people seem
to concentrate on the name and the C.V more than they possibly should.
When you come across one who was really at the top of the tree, then you should be able to see and hear
what they had...even if they don't quite have it anymore.....'quite' being relative..
Class is permanent tho..

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1404746502' post='2495337']
No bass in this one either but who's the best drummer?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHOej4eG9i0"]https://www.youtube....h?v=jHOej4eG9i0[/url]
[/quote]Always Animal, if for no other reason that he never sacked his entire band in a fit of pique.