Why become a member? ×

NBD Fender Roscoe Beck V

AndyTravis

http://instagram.com/p/p__DEguQcW/
http://instagram.com/p/p_o0jgOQVq/

Well, so far it's an impressive bass, light too at just over 9lbs (have seen others around 11lbs) so I'm going to see if this really is the five string to break my 4-string tunnel vision.

Only moans, the late 90's fender tortoiseshell isn't as pretty as the swirly marble maroon one I have on my Nate Mendel P, and I might change the control knobs to flat top chrome ones.

It's come in a fender tweed hardcase which I'm debating wether to keep or not, might hang on and be 100% happy.

Signs are good though.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1404424307' post='2492615']
Brilliant basses, used one for 6 years. Never seemed to go out of tune due to the graphite inserts. Fab neck profile if you're going from 4 to 5. Best looking 5 string Fender ever with a huge tone library.
[/quote]

I've owned about 4 5-strings, have kept my first, and one is an acoustic Fretless; great for intimate sets.

But I've never pushed hard to be a five string player.

But this, with the wider spacing, switches etc...yeah, it's great, works very well.

Edited by AndyTravis

Very nice, I really like these in sunburst. I am on my second now and the current one isnt going anywhere soon, great versatility and very very playable with the 'proper' 19mm string spacing. I would suggest hanging onto the case even if you dont use it, as these rarely come up with the original cases. I dont use mine but its nice to know I have it and all of the original case candy if I decide to sell it.

If you decide to change the pickguard and knobs I would be happy to make you an offer for them, I would love to try a tort on my teal green one and I have always loved the 'F' knobs on these, mine is a later model with chrome knobs as standard.

If it is any help I went back and forth on 4 and 5 strings and gave up on 5's a couple of times. I combatted it in the end when I bought my first RBV. When it came it was the nicest bass I had played and I just sold everything else so I had no option to play a 5 string. It works and it took me about a week to start feeling comfortable. The big mistake I think a lot of people make, is thinking that now you have that extra string, you need to use it all the time. You dont need to stick a low B in every song and not every song needs you to go that low, and as soon as I accepted that it really grew on me. Use it to play across the neck instead of going down to the nut is always my advice.

Edited by NJE

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]i am gonna sell my fender roscoe beck 5, if someone is interested!!!! [/font][/color][/quote]

Lovely bass - always wondered about getting one myself & that'll be £7 please, you can pay Ped when you post the proper advert ;)