Why become a member? ×

eBay Scammers.

JazzBassfreak

Very displeased. On the 17th I won a Darkglass B3K for £132. Bargain eh! Well. The guy apparently sent it out "3 days after cleared payment". Me being me, paid straight away on the 17th.

Anyway he marked the B3K as dispatched with Royal Mail first class on the 20th, coming from Cornwall to Staffs. I opened a case against him on eBay as he isn't replying to any messages and didn't give me any tracking information, so I'm in limbo. My personal opinion is that I don't think he's sent it, but marked it as dispatched and copped off with my £132. At the minute I'm fuming. It doesn't take 8 days for a parcel to make a 6 hour journey with first class.

Very annoyed!!!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1403955141' post='2488016']
I wouldn't be too worried, as eBay is very much on the buyers side in every case.
Annoying for sure, but you'll get your money back.
[/quote]

eBay's money back guarantee is a star. Not happy though, I don't get why he's not replied to ANY of my messages or even eBay contacting him. No replies at all.

He might have gone on holiday. I've done that and the buyer complained a vintage games console didn't work, it did he just wasn't using it on a TV that output 60hz, I didn't know till I got back from holiday 2 weeks later. EBay refunded them the money and I lost the item.

I see this happening a lot these days - one buys an item out of Post Office hours and the item is quickly marked as dispatched (ie. still out of Post Office hours). Most of the time, the item is genuinely posted on the next working day, but I'm seeing an increasing trend of items not arriving within a reasonable estimate for the service.

I wait until the delivery estimate has passed before querying with the seller, but a few times I've been told that the item is probably lost and that they have another on hand if I'd like it. On a couple of auctions, the 'replacement' item is actually the original one, having recognised certain markings in the photos that are on the item received.

I wouldn't mind if sellers just told me there'd be a week's delay in posting, but instantly marking as dispatched and keeping quiet is becoming irritating. I suspect that it's to try to trick eBay's 'how quickly did the seller dispatch' metric. Not a good idea as I always check the date stamp on anything I received so I know when it was actually posted.

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1403956715' post='2488046']
I see this happening a lot these days - one buys an item out of Post Office hours and the item is quickly marked as dispatched (ie. still out of Post Office hours). Most of the time, the item is genuinely posted on the next working day, but I'm seeing an increasing trend of items not arriving within a reasonable estimate for the service.

I wait until the delivery estimate has passed before querying with the seller, but a few times I've been told that the item is probably lost and that they have another on hand if I'd like it. On a couple of auctions, the 'replacement' item is actually the original one, having recognised certain markings in the photos that are on the item received.

I wouldn't mind if sellers just told me there'd be a week's delay in posting, but instantly marking as dispatched and keeping quiet is becoming irritating. I suspect that it's to try to trick eBay's 'how quickly did the seller dispatch' metric. Not a good idea as I always check the date stamp on anything I received so I know when it was actually posted.
[/quote]

That's what I've done, was due Monday 23rd!

It's difficult sometimes.

I bought something from China, fully aware it would take maybe a couple of weeks to arrive. It didn't. I got in touch and the seller, although very co-operative - urged me to wait longer. I did, but then my period in which I could make a claim was running out - the seller was still urging me to wait. I made the claim which took two weeks to complete and then, three weeks after that, my item arrived.

No, I didn't get back in touch with the seller, as the item was only worth a few quid and 9 weeks to delivery is ridiculous, however, if it had been an expensive item I'd really would have had to consider refunding *part* of the cash back to the seller.

All the same, if someone is selling internationally it is up to them to make sure they have access to a method of delivery that guarantees success within a reasonable period of time.

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1403959170' post='2488080']
It's difficult sometimes.

I bought something from China, fully aware it would take maybe a couple of weeks to arrive. It didn't. I got in touch and the seller, although very co-operative - urged me to wait longer. I did, but then my period in which I could make a claim was running out - the seller was still urging me to wait. I made the claim which took two weeks to complete and then, three weeks after that, my item arrived.

No, I didn't get back in touch with the seller, as the item was only worth a few quid and 9 weeks to delivery is ridiculous, however, if it had been an expensive item I'd really would have had to consider refunding *part* of the cash back to the seller.

All the same, if someone is selling internationally it is up to them to make sure they have access to a method of delivery that guarantees success within a reasonable period of time.

G.
[/quote]

I just don't see why he couldn't of given me the tracking number. He'll be regretting it when he's got eBay up his backside asking why my item hasn't arrived

ebay will have frozen the money, that way they make interest on it. doesnt seem much but worldwide I bet they make a few bob. So they will make you wait if they get an excuse.

8 days is silly. But royal mail wont call it lost for at least 3 weeks, If he didnt insure it he will lose out, so maybe he's just hoping for he best.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1403966442' post='2488161']
ebay will have frozen the money, that way they make interest on it. doesnt seem much but worldwide I bet they make a few bob. So they will make you wait if they get an excuse.

8 days is silly. But royal mail wont call it lost for at least 3 weeks, If he didnt insure it he will lose out, so maybe he's just hoping for he best.
[/quote]

But it's a case of, I've just paid him £132. Then immediately all activity of him on eBay dies. Seems very fishy to me. But as long as I get my money or the pedal back I'm not bothered.

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1403967494' post='2488176']
But it's a case of, I've just paid him £132. Then immediately all activity of him on eBay dies. Seems very fishy to me. But as long as I get my money or the pedal back I'm not bothered.
[/quote]

Could be that, like me he only looks at his ebay acc. when he either wants to sell or buy something. And uses an email address that he cant even remember, cos ebay fill the one you give them with crap. So he may not know.

Is there a phone number in the order details, or the paypal details ? is there a different email address in the paypal ? If you have his name, and the town you could try 192 for a landline number.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1403969465' post='2488204']

Could be that, like me he only looks at his ebay acc. when he either wants to sell or buy something. And uses an email address that he cant even remember, cos ebay fill the one you give them with crap. So he may not know.

Is there a phone number in the order details, or the paypal details ? is there a different email address in the paypal ? If you have his name, and the town you could try 192 for a landline number.
[/quote]

Nope, he's been a member since March this year...

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1403967494' post='2488176']

[/quote]
A couple of years ago I bought a bass off Ebay for £265, which is a lot of money for me and it was the first time I had bought a bass online. I used the Buy It Now and paid immediately. A few days later after no news I sent him a message, but he didn't get it for a few days because he said he had gone on holiday and forgotten about the auction. Then he claimed that the courier hadn't turned up a few times. You could say I was getting rather upset about it, but after about three weeks it turned up. I love that bass.

It is the beginning of the holiday season, so you never know.

The photos of the bass I bought were terrible and didn't show that the action was really high and couldn't be lowered any more with out work. I actually took a big risk on it and the delay was incredibly worrying. But the problem with the action was a design flaw with the bass, not the seller's fault, and I couldn't blame him if what he'd said about the holiday and the courier were true. I didn't know whether to leave positive or negative feedback so ended up not leaving any, he has never said anything about it.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1403977548' post='2488299']

A couple of years ago I bought a bass off Ebay for £265, which is a lot of money for me and it was the first time I had bought a bass online. I used the Buy It Now and paid immediately. A few days later after no news I sent him a message, but he didn't get it for a few days because he said he had gone on holiday and forgotten about the auction. Then he claimed that the courier hadn't turned up a few times. You could say I was getting rather upset about it, but after about three weeks it turned up. I love that bass.

It is the beginning of the holiday season, so you never know.

The photos of the bass I bought were terrible and didn't show that the action was really high and couldn't be lowered any more with out work. I actually took a big risk on it and the delay was incredibly worrying. But the problem with the action was a design flaw with the bass, not the seller's fault, and I couldn't blame him if what he'd said about the holiday and the courier were true. I didn't know whether to leave positive or negative feedback so ended up not leaving any, he has never said anything about it.
[/quote]

Ah. I forgot, I did get one message from the seller, on the 17th.

I asked "when will it be with me?" -got a vague reply, "Monday" which was the 23rd. Not heard from him since the 17th

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1403977548' post='2488299']
I didn't know whether to leave positive or negative feedback so ended up not leaving any, he has never said anything about it.
[/quote]

You can leave Neutral feedback if you want to sit on the fence. ;)

I've used eBay quite a bit. I bought a pawn shop bass vi and the seller was a bit lax but after a while all was well. On another ocassion I bought a strat but it was only when someone else contacted me to say they'd bought it as well that it transpired that it was a dodgy deal. I had paid through PayPal but the other guy used a money transfer. I got my money back but he didnt. It's tempting to go outside the eBay structure but if you do then take care. As long as you follow their process you should be okay so you can afford to give the seller a bit of slack.

I bought a Vester 5-string from a bloke in South Wales; paid him extra to send it Parcelforce, because he wanted to use myHermes and I have no faith in them at all. He sent it by myHermes anyway. Tosser.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1403991364' post='2488422']
I bought a Vester 5-string from a bloke in South Wales; paid him extra to send it Parcelforce, because he wanted to use myHermes and I have no faith in them at all. He sent it by myHermes anyway. Tosser.
[/quote]

Parcelforce don't insure musical instruments, so he may have done you a favour if you'd had a problem, assuming he insured it.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1403991544' post='2488423']
If you ask Ebay they'll give you his phone number.

They encourage you to contact the seller before starting any kind of dispute.
[/quote]

Tried contacting him. Through email and messages. He has no phone number signed to his account

Just to act as a barometer for those not involved and a neutral 3rd party. You won the item on 13th, it was marked as dispatched on 20th to be delivered on 23rd and between then and 28th you've opened a dispute. I'm sure to you this seems like forever and should have been sorted in days but it isn't a massive amount of time. In fact you must have been tight to the ebay deadlines for making claims and certainly Royal Mail (if that is who the seller used) won't entertain a claim for a lost item just yet.

It may be frustrating but for all anyone knows there could be a multitude of reasons for his lack of response; a family bereavement, holiday, loss of job, Internet down, divorce... he could be a useless twazzer mind but we don't know for sure!

If you've paid by paypal and a claim is open, he'll have his allotted time and a few warnings then you'll get a full refund and if the item has arrived in the meantime, then you have the moral dilemma of do you return the item to him or pay back the money.