Why become a member? ×

eBay Scammers.

JazzBassfreak

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1404025036' post='2488530']
Just to act as a barometer for those not involved and a neutral 3rd party. You won the item on 13th, it was marked as dispatched on 20th to be delivered on 23rd and between then and 28th you've opened a dispute. I'm sure to you this seems like forever and should have been sorted in days but it isn't a massive amount of time. In fact you must have been tight to the ebay deadlines for making claims and certainly Royal Mail (if that is who the seller used) won't entertain a claim for a lost item just yet.

It may be frustrating but for all anyone knows there could be a multitude of reasons for his lack of response; a family bereavement, holiday, loss of job, Internet down, divorce... he could be a useless twazzer mind but we don't know for sure!

If you've paid by paypal and a claim is open, he'll have his allotted time and a few warnings then you'll get a full refund and if the item has arrived in the meantime, then you have the moral dilemma of do you return the item to him or pay back the money.
[/quote]

*17th I won it

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1404025036' post='2488530']
Just to act as a barometer for those not involved and a neutral 3rd party. You won the item on 13th, it was marked as dispatched on 20th to be delivered on 23rd and between then and 28th you've opened a dispute. I'm sure to you this seems like forever and should have been sorted in days but it isn't a massive amount of time. In fact you must have been tight to the ebay deadlines for making claims and certainly Royal Mail (if that is who the seller used) won't entertain a claim for a lost item just yet.

It may be frustrating but for all anyone knows there could be a multitude of reasons for his lack of response; a family bereavement, holiday, loss of job, Internet down, divorce... he could be a useless twazzer mind but we don't know for sure!

If you've paid by paypal and a claim is open, he'll have his allotted time and a few warnings then you'll get a full refund and if the item has arrived in the meantime, then you have the moral dilemma of do you return the item to him or pay back the money.
[/quote]

Well according to Royal Mail if it's over three days late from when the estimated date was I'm eligible to claim. Plus it's first class, so 8 days is too long. It all seems fishy to me. Besides, it's nearly the it's now 30th tomorrow so that'll mean it's 7 days from when estimated, then he has until the 4th to respond to the warning for tracking information, which he won't.

Edited by JazzBassfreak

On a slightly different tack, I had a buyer open a case against me recently. I sold my old electro acoustic and the buyer received it and left positive feedback. A week later they opened a case against me, saying the first fret was worn and that the guitar was unplayable. When I said to send it back they said the "guitar repairer" said to send it off for repair and demanded 50 quid partial refund. When I refused they escalated it to eBay customer support. Previous experience told me that I was screwed and that eBay would enforce a refund. As it turned out, less that 24 hours after it was escalated, ebay actually found in my favour and told em to do one. So on occasion, they do actually side with the seller. I also learned that positive feedback has NO bearing on any case. Which is bloody ridiculous in my view.

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1404042449' post='2488685']
I also learned that positive feedback has NO bearing on any case. Which is bloody ridiculous in my view.
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up! I thought once you'd left positive feedback you couldn't open a case. Looks like I won't be using eBay to sell any time soon!

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1404042449' post='2488685']
I also learned that positive feedback has NO bearing on any case. Which is bloody ridiculous in my view.
[/quote]
Sellers used to be allowed to leave negative feedback. When this was withdrawn some years ago so only the buyer could leave negative feedback it made the whole feedback system a farce and not worth even bothering with.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1404046020' post='2488720']
Sellers used to be allowed to leave negative feedback. When this was withdrawn some years ago so only the buyer could leave negative feedback it made the whole feedback system a farce and not worth even bothering with.
[/quote]

I made a living out of trading in eBay for a while, but when this rule came in that was it for me. At that point it stopped being an auction site and became just another online retail presence. Everything is skewed toward the buyer now. Yet it's the sellers who provide eBay and PayPal with the majority of their profit.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404046460' post='2488726']
I made a living out of trading in eBay for a while, but when this rule came in that was it for me. At that point it stopped being an auction site and became just another online retail presence. Everything is skewed toward the buyer now. Yet it's the sellers who provide eBay and PayPal with the majority of their profit.
[/quote]
Couldn't agree more. I used to sell a lot on ebay and remember in the good old days when you hadn't received payment for an item you could look at their feedback and often see that they had a number of negative feedbacks for non payment so you knew where you were. Now buyers can do what they want without fear of any negative feedback. I've had far more problems with buyers than i ever have with sellers who to trade successfully have to stick to the rules.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1404045501' post='2488712']
But have you actually requested the sellers contact details from ebay?
[/quote]

I thought they had to have a phone number to sell ?

I had a problem last year with something I'd bought, the seller wasn't responding to email, so I contacted ebay and they gave me the phone number.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1404046920' post='2488732']
I thought they had to have a phone number to sell ?

I had a problem last year with something I'd bought, the seller wasn't responding to email, so I contacted ebay and they gave me the phone number.
[/quote]
I'm sure they do too but you have to request the sellers contact details via ebay.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1404047135' post='2488737']
I'm sure they do too but you have to request the sellers contact details via ebay.
[/quote]

Bear in mind that when you make a contact detail request, the seller also gets your contact details.

[/quote]

When you get involved in a dispute ebay ask permission to share phone numbers. But if the seller didnt give it, or is not aware of the case...

[/quote]

Have. As stated, he joined 31 march this year. No phone number or name signed with eBay. Plus it's not a case of having the contact details, it's a case of getting the idiot to reply. I can escalate the case on the 4th of July. He won't respond in that timespace so I'm going to be taking it to an eBay agent.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1404050090' post='2488766']

When you get involved in a dispute ebay ask permission to share phone numbers. But if the seller didnt give it, or is not aware of the case...
[/quote]

I've asked eBay not to share my phone number, if he calls me and I pick up to "hi I'm the guy that's screwed you over on eBay" I'll have quite a few profanities for him. I only want to talk to an eBay customer agent who can see the real problem, which will hopefully come out favouring me.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1404053510' post='2488808']
It will come out in your favour. You've paid, and unless he can prove that you received the item your money is safe :) This is why I always send things "signed for"!
[/quote]

P.H.E.W thank god for eBay money back guarantee eh!

If you pay by debit or credit card (via Paypal), then you're also covered by your bank.

I got my money back from my eBay purchase that went wring through my bank. I didn't have a Paypal account at the time, so paid as a 'guest', and neither eBay or Paypal wanted to know, my bank on the other hand did a great job and refunded me within a week or so. I just had to take screenshots of the relevant eBay pages and sign a declaration.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1404053854' post='2488811']
If you pay by debit or credit card (via Paypal), then you're also covered by your bank.

I got my money back from my eBay purchase that went wring through my bank. I didn't have a Paypal account at the time, so paid as a 'guest', and neither eBay or Paypal wanted to know, my bank on the other hand did a great job and refunded me within a week or so. I just had to take screenshots of the relevant eBay pages and sign a declaration.
[/quote]

I paid via Visa debit :S

Yes, you will get your money back if you don't receive the item. You do need a bit of patience here though as assuming it was sent Royal Mail the seller can't even claim until 30 days so if he did send it and it is lost in the post it is hardly right to get angry with him about it. Okay he isn't responding but he has marked it dispatched so that is all he would say anyway isn't it?

Agree with others up there. I have sold 100's of things on eBay and I am a very good seller but I have had more problems from buyers than from anyone I have bought from.
The change I would make to eBay is that the payment gets automatically taken from the winning bidders Paypal account when the auction ends. A lot of people just don't bother paying but you still have to wait 7 days, cancel listing, realist and wait for auction to end again etc, etc,.

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1404059556' post='2488862']
Yes, you will get your money back if you don't receive the item. You do need a bit of patience here though as assuming it was sent Royal Mail the seller can't even claim until 30 days so if he did send it and it is lost in the post it is hardly right to get angry with him about it. Okay he isn't responding but he has marked it dispatched so that is all he would say anyway isn't it?

Agree with others up there. I have sold 100's of things on eBay and I am a very good seller but I have had more problems from buyers than from anyone I have bought from.
The change I would make to eBay is that the payment gets automatically taken from the winning bidders Paypal account when the auction ends. A lot of people just don't bother paying but you still have to wait 7 days, cancel listing, realist and wait for auction to end again etc, etc,.
[/quote]

Only thing that can go wrong is if the parcel has been signed for. In which case ebay will back up the seller. I have sold two things where the buyer claimed not to have them, but ebay found for me both times.

Must admit though, one was a mobile phone with the buyer in eastern europe, so Parr for the course really. Glad I sent that one requiring a signature even though it cost more - ebay put a ridiculous £7.00 postage cap on mobile phones - its very tempting to send things cheaper
but its not that unusual for signed for mail to go astray and still get a signature.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1404059556' post='2488862']

[/quote]

The problem with that is it could maybe cause the buyer to go overdrawn ? They may be fully intending to pay, but may not get paid for a day or 2.

I recently bought a couple of things that were collection only, I was going to pay cash for them, I'd have had to have paid the cash in so that Paypal could take it out, a lot of faffing about.

I do see your point though, but maybe non payments should show up on a buyers profile ?

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1404052263' post='2488789']
Have. As stated, he joined 31 march this year. No phone number or name signed with eBay. Plus it's not a case of having the contact details, it's a case of getting the idiot to reply. I can escalate the case on the 4th of July. He won't respond in that timespace so I'm going to be taking it to an eBay agent.
[/quote]
The date a member joined ebay is clear for all to see. It has nothing to do with what i said about requesting the sellers contact details. If you request the sellers contact details from ebay they will send you their address and phone number and vice versa that's why i asked if you had actually requested these details and not just emailed them through ebay.